Question for wxwax

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
edited August 10, 2005 in Finishing School
Sid,

I was doing some searching through the archives of dgrin last night, and I found the two of your photos (attached below).

I was wondering if you could give me a basic run down of your post processing method to take it from the first to the second.

Thanks in advanced.

David
3858982-M.jpg
3858983-M.jpg
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Ol' sid actually has a much better shot of this scene...come on waxy, give it to us.

I remember it well.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 10, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ol' sid actually has a much better shot of this scene...come on waxy, give it to us.

I remember it well.
    Hey Gus,

yeah i bet he does...but I have just moved from the Gimp to Photoshop CS, so i am trying to work my way through a few things.

Cheers mate,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Yikes, David, that goes back a ways.

You know, it may have been as simple as making a mask for the sky, then playing with the Hue slider on the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer.

I'm pretty sure I kept it simple, that's how I was able to make a few different versions. Looking at it again, it's possible I didn't even mask the sky, just played with the Hue slider.

Does this help?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Here it is, Gus. I'm afraid I've posted it a few times, so my apologies to those tired of seeing it. And I hafta say that it was Patch29 who showed me the location and the shot. I went back a couple of times to get it right.

This is a composite of at least two shots, IIRC. One for the buildings, maybe one for the traffic trails and then a while later, when the sky got interesting, I shot the sky. Actually, I kept shooting bunches of images for close to an hour as the light changed.

All with a Canon G3, which has a built-in Neutral Density filter, which made the trails possible.

2553067-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 10, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Yikes, David, that goes back a ways.

You know, it may have been as simple as making a mask for the sky, then playing with the Hue slider on the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer.

I'm pretty sure I kept it simple, that's how I was able to make a few different versions. Looking at it again, it's possible I didn't even mask the sky, just played with the Hue slider.

Does this help?
    yeah that makes a lot of sense....kinda obvious eek7.gif

I was actually out attempt some light trails last week, and didn't even think about taking my ND filters. Something to try next time.

Thanks for your help.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    3858983-L.jpg

waxilocious: i so totally dig this shot! clap.gif