12 March 2010

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 25, 2010 in Street and Documentary
818089024_YWw4t-XL.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I'm used to your sig line, but it seems to take on some extra significance tucked under this photo.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Some people are just so rude. Could not that Lady tell you were trying
    to take a picture of that Lovely Model rolleyes1.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 24, 2010
    Fun shot, John. By coincidence, I've been doing a bunch of person/fashion-shot pics this week. I'll probably post a few in a couple of days. They're harder than they look--the light has to be right, reflections are a pain even with a CP, the timing is tricky, and you need to get the right person. I think in this one you were just a few milliseconds late, so you got lots of hair but not quite enough face. Nice conversion, of course.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Goodness, that woman has biceps!!

I am a fan of these juxtaposition shots. That said, I think Richard is right. A little more of the passerby's face would have added a lot. But more than that, I'm don't think that there is enough irony/humor here to make the picture a winner.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed looking at the photo - noting the cellphone - thinking about how advertising has warped our view of reality....

Virginia

Email
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    hee hee--I agree with Flyingina--I love those juxtaposed shots! and also agree that I wish I saw a little more of the person walking infront of the unattainable beauty image.

Great conversion as usual.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Note to Richard--might be a fun exercise for all of us to get out there and try our version of this shot--being that we are all scattered around the globe, it might be interesting just how different or the same they are....Just an idea. I'be been wanting to try this myself.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    818089024_YWw4t-XL.jpg

Nice one, Rutt!clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I'm used to your sig line, but it seems to take on some extra significance tucked under this photo.
    rolleyes1.gifPerfect.

Nice take Rutt. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 25, 2010
    Note to Richard--might be a fun exercise for all of us to get out there and try our version of this shot--being that we are all scattered around the globe, it might be interesting just how different or the same they are....Just an idea. I'be been wanting to try this myself.

Not a bad idea. Virginia has already posted one, and I'm about to put up some myself. I have always liked this kind of shot because it challenges you to make something nice out of all that annoying stuff we usually try to avoid.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Great shot. I've attempted this on numerous occasions when I saw the opportunity and one specific exercise where I sat myself in front of a place for a couple of hours that I felt had potential.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Not a bad idea. Virginia has already posted one, and I'm about to put up some myself. I have always liked this kind of shot because it challenges you to make something nice out of all that annoying stuff we usually try to avoid.

There have been a couple of occasions where the community fell into themes spontaneously. It would be good to gather those into stickies where others could add their interpretation of a specific style or type of street shot. This being an excellent example. It shouldn't be a "critique" thread, just a public parking space for our personal favourites along a theme.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Goodness, that woman has biceps!!

I am a fan of these juxtaposition shots. That said, I think Richard is right. A little more of the passerby's face would have added a lot. But more than that, I'm don't think that there is enough irony/humor here to make the picture a winner.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed looking at the photo - noting the cellphone - thinking about how advertising has warped our view of reality....

Virginia

You know, Virginia, I've read and heard allot of euphemisms over the years for fatty protrusions of the mammary glands, but biceps is a new one to me. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    biceps is a new one to me. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

If you could take your eyes off of the digitally enhanced mammary gland and look at her upper left arm, you'd see what I meant. rolleyes1.gif

But now you have me wondering if the muscle is enhanced as well since, as I understand it, everything is up for modification in retouching for ads.

Virginia

Email