External hard drive issue

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited March 24, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
hey guys, I hope someone can share some insight here.

I have an external HD that I want to force a drive assignment to - meaning when I attach it I want it to map as an F drive. It had been doing this fairly automatically whenever I attached it (via USB), but now the OS is assigning it as a G drive and because all my catalogs are set up as F in mapping, I can't work with any of the photos in Lightroom.

Is there a way to force or change the letter assignment somehow??

Comments

• gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    info on doing it in XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

similar steps for Vista/W7...but not sure what you're running to give specifics.

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Whoops, sorry...it's a Vista Home machine. A species of HP DV6000. The drive itself (which probably doesn't matter) is a 2TB Western Dig.
  • EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    I have an external HD that I want to force a drive assignment to - meaning when I attach it I want it to map as an F drive. It had been doing this fairly automatically whenever I attached it (via USB), but now the OS is assigning it as a G drive and because all my catalogs are set up as F in mapping, I can't work with any of the photos in Lightroom....

Whoops, sorry...it's a Vista Home machine. A species of HP DV6000. The drive itself (which probably doesn't matter) is a 2TB Western Dig.

It's only going to assign G if you have something else on F (a new drive?). If that's the case, you're going to need to move that new thing to a different drive letter first. You won't be able to assign F to the older drive until you fix that by either unplugging that new drive or assigning the new drive to a different drive letter first. Better would be to avoid this all together by assigning the old drive you are talking about to something else entirely--such as P for photos.

In either case (to make it F once F is available or P as a more permanent solution):

Find MY COMPUTER or COMPUTER
    Right click
    Choose Manage
    Find Disk Management
    Right click the drive letter as it is now
    Choose Change Drive Letter and Paths
    Click the Change button
    Pick a new letter and Ok your way out

If you went for something other than F (my recommendation), then you will need to fix this in Lightroom also.

Notice the question mark next to this folder on the Folders section on the left pane?
    Right click the folder
    Choose Find Missing Folder
    Find the folder with the new drive letter
    Click Ok
    edited March 24, 2010
    That's just it, F is an option - there are NO other drives attached. it skips F and assigns G automatically. I want to change it or force it to select F like it used to do all the time. But anyway...it looks like your solution will work and I'm going to give it a go. Thanks a ton.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 24, 2010
    Did you "eject it" properly? Try disconnecting it the rebooting. Shut the machine down, install the drive and that may solve the problem.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 24, 2010
    yep, did all that. I always 'safely remove' drives from the laptop and did a hard shut down last night. still came up G with no other drives attached this morning. it's possessed. But I've reassigned the drive so that Lightroom can find its catalog, so I'm ok. Just didn't know where to look to do it.