D300 Active D-Lighting

chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited March 24, 2010 in Cameras
...does Active D-Lighting affect RAW files?:dunno

Comments

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    IMO no. There have been a few people to say otherwise but, see for yourself. Shoot RAW+JPEG and compare. If you use NX2 to edit maybe? But LR doesn't show any effect from Active D.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
  • JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    If you edit in Nikon CNX2, it will apply your in-camera settings, but open it in Adobe LR2 and all you get is the raw image with no active d-lighting, color profiles, etc.
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Agree it only works on the jpegs.

...what I had thought, all of the settings in the shooting menu having to do with picture quality have no effect on RAW files, apparently...interesting, I went to the retouch menu and messed with a RAW file and it created a fine quality jpeg (had the camera since it came out and have *never* done anything in that menu..lol). Now, color space seems to lock-in across the file gamut...

cg
    edited March 24, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Agree it only works on the jpegs.

And work it does! In some conditions it has a big effect in balancing highlights.
    edited March 24, 2010
    JohnC wrote:
    If you edit in Nikon CNX2, it will apply your in-camera settings, but open it in Adobe LR2 and all you get is the raw image with no active d-lighting, color profiles, etc.

This is why I need to try a demo of NX2.