Desert Star Trails

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited October 14, 2010 in Landscapes
My first attempt at star trails. Well, I practiced the first two nights, got it right the 3rd night out. Long exposures, noise cancellation setting. Next time I'll try stacking many short exposures to see what it does to the ambient sky light (this is ~100 miles south of Vegas, can't avoid the spillover if I want the enclosed circular trail, at this location). This one taken after the moon set, a couple of hours after the second image.

722989452_HRHdS-L-1.jpg

For this one, a single raw image, but processed it once for the stars, once for the landscape. Timed for the moon to set ~1/2 way through the exposure.
722988657_Ehm7M-L-1.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Very nice star trails. You did a good job. clap.gif

Cheers,
  • astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Those are pretty good. I actually think the skyglow adds to the first image, but that's just me. I think it makes it a little more interesting. The second one I don't like quite as much as the first. The colors seem a bit weird to me ... not sure what it "should" be, though.

What was your aperture for these? And time - looks to be maybe an hour or so?

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Very cool. I have to admit how difficult this is to do when there is too much light in the sky (living in Vegas). I actually like both. Please post what settings you used!
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    astrostu wrote:
    Those are pretty good. I actually think the skyglow adds to the first image, but that's just me. I think it makes it a little more interesting. The second one I don't like quite as much as the first. The colors seem a bit weird to me ... not sure what it "should" be, though.

What was your aperture for these? And time - looks to be maybe an hour or so?

Here is a picture of the rock pile during the day (point and shoot)

IMG_1198-photobucket.jpg

So the startrail photo is just a little oversaturated/slightly too much yellow and cyan. The sky? Hard for me to say what the sky should be, I processed the raw for the sky about the same as the foreground, just less exposed.

North looking circular trail is two photos, each 60 minutes, with a 60 minute gap for the dark image, I wasn't sure I had enough battery for 4 hours, so broke it up. Must have started the exposure about midnight, or 1 am, just set the tripod up next to my cot, and went to sleep. If the wind came up I would have woke up and put the camera away. I agree the city glow adds something, the foreground was necessitated by my camping area, and isn't that special, so the city glow does add an interest.

ISO 200
    28 mm
    aperture 6.4

East looking star trail:

ISO 200
    180mm
    45 minutes
    F7

I had to hike a bit to set this one up, so couldn't leave it set up as long.
  • All things AlpineAll things Alpine Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Real cool images- I like the rock in the second one- I've done a few images like this and the moonlight always seems to change the color a bit, but I think it should be that way, and looks great!

wondering how you did the processing for the second image- you mentioned you did it twice. I presume two different exposures etc, then blended in PS? I'm still learning PS, so was curious how you did that- select the mountain, feather it, then paste it over the mountains in the "star" version?

Thanks!
    Erik
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Very nice. Like the effect on #2, with the tele and the straightening of the star trail arcs to make it look like pelting rain. I wonder what it would look like in a version with a darker sky?
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Real cool images- I like the rock in the second one- I've done a few images like this and the moonlight always seems to change the color a bit, but I think it should be that way, and looks great!

wondering how you did the processing for the second image- you mentioned you did it twice. I presume two different exposures etc, then blended in PS? I'm still learning PS, so was curious how you did that- select the mountain, feather it, then paste it over the mountains in the "star" version?

Thanks!
    Erik
    Well, I use GIMP, not photoshop, but the workflow is similar. Output 2 jpgs or tiffs from UFraw. Open "as layers" in Gimp. Add alpha channels to the layers. I made the sky my top layer, so I selected and cut out most of the landscape, leaving just a band around the sky. Add a mask to the top sky layer, and use the mask to erase what is left of the sky-image landscape, switching the drawing tool to partial opacity to blend the exact edge. Then I despeckled the image to get rid of the 0 and 1 value black specks left by the noise reduction, then a slight gaussian blur to smooth out the trails without disappearing them.

here is the darker image- a lot of vignetting, I lose some sky trails.
    819566668_vUqgj-L.jpg
    10429229_XWBpw#819566668_vUqgj-A-LB
  • astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Okay, I think the mountain looks too green to me in the second shot of your first post. But that's me. Also, for me, I think that the sky is too bright. While I agree that sky is too dark in the original, I think you may've over-done bringing up the brightness. I would've played with the curves some more to bring down the sky brightness, but again, that's me.

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    The opening shot is my favorite by far. It's perfect! thumb.gif
  • doctorsoupdoctorsoup Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Strong work!
    I really like the first one, a beautiful minimalist image! The glow from Las Vegas works for me. Are you gonna try going north from LV sometime?
    As others mentioned the color of the second shot seems off -- have you tried a B&W conversion?
    kolibri wrote: »
    My first attempt at star trails. Well, I practiced the first two nights, got it right the 3rd night out. Long exposures, noise cancellation setting. Next time I'll try stacking many short exposures to see what it does to the ambient sky light (this is ~100 miles south of Vegas, can't avoid the spillover if I want the enclosed circular trail, at this location). This one taken after the moon set, a couple of hours after the second image.

722989452_HRHdS-L-1.jpg

For this one, a single raw image, but processed it once for the stars, once for the landscape. Timed for the moon to set ~1/2 way through the exposure.
    722988657_Ehm7M-L-1.jpg
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    very pretty affect :)