Birds on the Shore

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited March 26, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I don't know if this technically works or not..but I like it. To ME it feels like the birds and their reflections close to the top and the almost empty space on the bottom creates tension. But that's me and i don't know if it works for everyone else like that. Anyway:

4319564727_b58a49121a_b.jpg
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    I like it, but, you could shave off a bit on the bottom and still achieve the look/feel your going for.. just a tad to much empty space for me ne_nau.gif
    Devin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Seems I've seen this shot not too long ago. headscratch.gifD

Think you've pushed that near empty space to about the limit. But its
    quite possible that with the subject line up as they are, going this way
    works very well. Eliminating most of the empty space creating a pano type
    line just doesn't seem to give more impact value over leaving the space in.
    Tough one. :D
    Michael
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    I like this is a lot, but I'd shift everything down an inch. That'd still leave you with the same empty space effect on the bottom, without crowding the birds quite as much at the top.
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    Seems I've seen this shot not too long ago. headscratch.gifD
    Same here... Maybe on another forum?

Loved it back then, and still do now. The composition is well-balanced for me. How about those one-legged birds? I'd frame and hang this on my wall in no time.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    maybe i have posted it before ..i dont remember doing so but its a possibility.

anyway, thanks for the input everyone.

The reason it works for me is that I'm not seeing the empty space as TRULY empty space. In my visual perception the shadows created by the ripples of the wave seem to have enough substance so as to fill out the emptiness enough to create that tension I had mentioned.

I see everyones individual point though..thanks!
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Two thoughts for me. I do like the empty space but I also thing a long rectangle crop would give a cool "fake pano" feel to it. Like that in a long rectangle black frame in white or black mat would look great:ivar

Love that half the birds are one-legging it rolleyes1.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 26, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Two thoughts for me. I do like the empty space but I also thing a long rectangle crop would give a cool "fake pano" feel to it. Like that in a long rectangle black frame in white or black mat would look great

15524779-Ti.gif While there is some nice texture on the water, the overall frame feels unbalanced to me. Using the advanced PP technique of dragging my browser down the screen to crop the bottom, I liked it more.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    this looks familiar to me, too. I would like to see a tad more space above the birds and a bit less below them. Just me. Very effective and dramatic, though.