3-mo baby photo attempt

jason.moseleyjason.moseley Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited March 26, 2010 in People
My wife, bless her heart, asked me to do the 3-month pics to put up for our 3rd child. We've done the 3-6-9-12 mo. photos for the other two and had them done professionally. Here are my attempts at something that looks decent. Please critique. This is harder than I thought it would be!

815048982_QcDES-L.jpg

Hey, baby...
815048875_bdqRw-L.jpg

815048759_kKE52-L.jpg
Go easy on me!

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    The B&W is just too great!!! Love it.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    what a cute kid! i like the expression and they eyes/expression in the 3rd one. i'm always drawn to the eyes in children's portraiture. do you have a photo editing program? if so, i would try and tweak the contrast or levels and maybe sharpen a bit.
    Kristen
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Hi Jason!

First off, CUTE little one you have there!!! I hear you that taking baby portraits being a challenge---just wait until he is crawling!!!!rolleyes1.gif

I also wondered (like Kris) if you had any photo editing programs? Photoshop Elements, Lightroom etc? If so, I have a few suggestions.

First for the b/w you need to pump up the blacks and add a bit more contrast. It might be considered a bit flat by some. Secondly...if you do have software--you could try cloning out the wrinkles in the sheet for a more polished look--esp in #1 but even in the upper rt corner for #3 also. My eye seems to be wandering up to those wrinkles! Also on #3 and and on #1.. Try to pay attention to where his little fingers are. In #3 they are cropped and in #1 you could have put them on top of the blanket. The beauty is in the small details!

I've become obsessed with baby/kid pictures of late and so take my comments with a grain of salt! Of the 3 my favorite is #3 because of the excellent eye contact, baby's expression and composition. I like #2 also but I almost want a ittle more room around his left shoulder. I'm VERY picky when it comes to baby pictures though...(obsessed even, lol)!

You've captured him very well, however and these will be cherished for sure! Great work!
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    The B&W is just too great!!! Love it.

clap.gifclapclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif I do agree with what Kelly said about a little more contrast and pumping up the blacks. Great shot though.
  • BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    I'm with the rest of the crowd here. That B&W is priceless! Love it!! They're a tad flat for me. Also in #1 I'd add a bit more distance between the cutie pie and the background and yes, the wrinkles are distracting.

He's adorable! Love that smile!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    I'm also of the opinion that just a little post-processing work could really make these shine. I'd take all of them into photoshop, or lightroom, or gimp or whatever it is you use and work the levels and curves to get a full range of tones - light lights through dark darks and everything in between. I think that will add a lot to the images.

Very cute and a great start!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!