1)
763924120_Yneva-XL.jpg

2)
781539500_Gz9kx-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    While I like the photographs, I think this is a instance of need for explanatory text. The bit about
    the pictures telling the story doesn't work when there's a custom involved that is unfamiliar to the viewer.

If this was just a bonfire, no text would be needed. The title, however, suggests something more.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Fair enough Tony. I'm having difficulty with writing narratives or descriptions of many of my shots. It's a struggle for me in some of the documentary series I'm attempting. Googling Chinese funeral or death rituals will provide some context.

But in this case, the scene is in the community I've been documenting for the last two years. It represents the burning of the clothes of the deceased. This comes later in the process if I understand it correctly.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    1)
    763924120_Yneva-XL.jpg

This image is really terrific, Jen. On the one hand I agree with Tony's request for text. On the other hand, the expression you captured is so sad, I don't feel I need anything more than what you already wrote. No, I don't know the ins-and-outs of Chinese death rituals and mourning, but that man looks so bereft, that anything more is unnecessary. clap.gifclap.gif :cry
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    The title and photos make me want to know more - which is always a good thing!
  • Options
    NiepceNiepce Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Fantastic captures !

I'm surprized you were allowed to get so close... In my experience Shanghainese are not crazy about people taking pics of them, so how did you manage to get so up, close and personal with a mourning family ?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Niepce wrote:
    Fantastic captures !

I'm surprized you were allowed to get so close... In my experience Shanghainese are not crazy about people taking pics of them, so how did you manage to get so up, close and personal with a mourning family ?

A lot of times it is simply ...... attitude.
    I found this so true when I was in Europe........I heard and read on a lot of ex pat type forums how americans are looked at and treated in certain countries......but I went to some of the very same places and was treated very well......I took my camera into place others could not........i have been in a lot of religious temples where no one else was allowed to photograph.........I think it is how we present our selves to the other person(s)..........

I have Chinese friends that say I should have been Chinese and friends in Germany, Czech Republic and south Africa that say no one would ever know I wasn't from their country if I just did not talk:Dmwink.gifrofl.....but it has never brought me any grief.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Niepce wrote:
    Fantastic captures !

I'm pleased you like them. A lot of people don't know I've taken a shot until it's too late. As Art said, it does have a lot to do with demeanor, but mostly I think I've developed some patience. If someone sees me and waves me off, I won't shoot. If I do see a scene worth exploring, I will explore it over several shots and as many angles I can without disrupting the subjects. But to get there, it might take 15-20 minutes before I fire the shutter the first time.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    I love everything about the first shot. Superb!
  • Options
    NiepceNiepce Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm pleased you like them. A lot of people don't know I've taken a shot until it's too late. As Art said, it does have a lot to do with demeanor, but mostly I think I've developed some patience. If someone sees me and waves me off, I won't shoot. If I do see a scene worth exploring, I will explore it over several shots and as many angles I can without disrupting the subjects. But to get there, it might take 15-20 minutes before I fire the shutter the first time.

I guess I'm too shy and / or not patient enough. :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 26, 2010
    The first shot is outstanding. clap.gif I did know something about the clothes burning ritual--I think I may have learned about it from another post on Dgrin mwink.gif--so I immediately got it. Well done.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    763924120_Yneva-S.jpg

Beautiful shot!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts