Options

The Very First Production V-8 Automobile

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited March 29, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This is a 1912 De Dion Bouton DM. This car sported the very first V-8 engine to appear in a production automobile. De Dion was responsible for the patented design work necessary to make the V-8 a practical engine choice for cars. The engine produced a whopping 26 HP. This car also had a 4 speed transmission and the forerunner to the renown De Dion rear axle assembly. It was a very innovative creation.

812781731_kAGP5-XL.jpg

812781529_MP6CS-XL.jpg

812781621_5ynht-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Shot three would be the envy of any current day Steampunk Maker! thumb.gif

clap.gifclapclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Absolutely amazing color and detail in your shots. As usual.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2010
    Hi Don,

Thanks for looking in.

This car belongs to the famous Nethercutt collection out of Sylmar, CA. They have one of the most highly regarded restoration operations in the world. One of their experts graciously spent at least 15 minutes with me, going over, in detail, all the work that went into this car. The most challenging part was the effort required to correctly restore this engine. It took some ground-breaking procedures to pull it off. I don't even want to guess what a restoration like this cost.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2010
    Hey Tony,

Thanks for your comments and support.

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Wonderful pictures of her Tom. Just excellent. thumb.gif
    Very classy auto!
    Looks like you had some very favorable lighting too.
    Michael
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited March 27, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    Very classy auto!

15524779-Ti.gif I love the rear view, especially the gas tank. Well done.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the nice remarks. There's only about a 3 hour span when the lighting at this show is at its prime.... assuming it's even a good-weather day. Trees on either side of these golf holes block the early and late sun, creating bad shadows on many of the cars for much of the day.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Hey Tom........That is beautiful.. especially the engine.... clap.gifgary
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2010
    Thanks, Richard, for the comment. This was a stand-out car in a whole field of stand-out cars.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2010
    Thanks for the comment, Gary.

Tom
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Tom,
    Beautiful photos! You never disappoint!
    The deDion Bouton is an automotive name that pops onto my tongue, from time to time. It just flows.
    Don't forget to visit the Neterhcutt collection the next time you're out this way. It is imensely impressive. Regarding their restoration facilities: J. B. Nethercutt built a trust for it that'll last at least 100 years! Also, I once asked what it would take to have them restore my car. Their answer was, "Sign it over to us."
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

More Gems, really love seeing these, looks a little colder there

than usual.

Looking forward to seeing more as the Season
    progresses.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Hi Lee,

You can bet I have the Nethercutt collection on my hit list. You can also bet that when I get out there, I'm getting in touch with you and we're going to have some fun. I'm still laughing at what the collection said about restoring your car. Thanks for the very kind remarks.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Hey Craig,

You're right....it was more than chilly the day of this show. Only about noon did it warm up much at all...but it was a gorgeous day.

Be well,

Tom