Lens for Interior Shots/All Around Use

eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited March 27, 2010 in Cameras
I currently have a 17-85 Canon lens that works pretty well as my all around lens (especially when I am traveling with others and don't get to lug my gear around). The only real downside for me is that in lo-light conditions (i.e. interior situations where I can't use a flash or a tripod) even with the ISO bumped up to 1000-1250 on my Canon 50D, I just get OK results (not really surprised by this). For the purposes of this lens, I'm not looking for a zoom of some kind. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 26, 2010
    The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is tough to beat for a general purpose, standard range zoom. I use it for weddings and events, including personal family events. It has "L" quality optics in an OK construction. It's the lens that stays on my 40D most of the time.

It's quick to focus and the IS is a real and tangible benefit.

If the above lens is too costly the Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di II is a very similar use lens and has similar optical qualities. It does lack the AF speed, IS and corner sharpness of the Canon lens, but it's an excellent value.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Is there a budget here or is the sky the limit? :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    When I was looking for a lens Ziggy gave me the same advice on the 17-55 EF-S IS 2.8. I bought it and haven't looked back. A year ago when I got it I was shooting with the XTi and now it's on my new 7D.

Amazing lens if it is in your budget.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Thank you all ... I like what I am reading about the 17-55 ... a bit on the high end of my budget, but I think that's the direction I'll probably go.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    eenusa wrote:
    I currently have a 17-85 Canon lens that works pretty well as my all around lens (especially when I am traveling with others and don't get to lug my gear around). The only real downside for me is that in lo-light conditions (i.e. interior situations where I can't use a flash or a tripod) even with the ISO bumped up to 1000-1250 on my Canon 50D, I just get OK results (not really surprised by this). For the purposes of this lens, I'm not looking for a zoom of some kind. Any suggestions/recommendations?

along with the Canon 17-55 also take a look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=400&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=398