Historic New England (The Not Flashy Kind)

ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited March 28, 2010 in Landscapes
Greetings D-Grinners!

I recently got an assignment from the local Lions Club to take some pictures of the older, more historic buildings of the towns around here. These are the finished products to be printed (4x6 or 5x7 only, unfortunately) and framed as a gift to a local teacher who'll be leaving the area. While I'm not overly thrilled with the Tramp House Photograph (I think I got better shots, but the customer gets what the customer wants!) I like how the sunset lit up the woodwork, and although the Church in the background is awkwardly keystoned, it's what made them choose the photograph! And funnily enough, when I went to take the second photograph, I didn't expect to get anything usable. It wasn't exactly overcast, but lighting conditions weren't great. The lesson to be learned, is that with a good exposure and

Tramp House, Norfolk MA
820122639_qUyin-L.jpg
For those wondering about the name, it was built in 1886 (there are older buildings in the town) and was a nightly lockup for wandering tramps passing through town.

Gazebo, Wrentham MA
820122169_G9dLr-L.jpg
According to the plaques it was built in the late 1800's, and restored later. I'm fond of this one, feel free to click it and check it out in a higher resolution.

Comments, questions, etc... they're all always welcome :)
Please Look At My Photography!
http://www.AndyCalnan.com/

Comments

• ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    I kind of like the processing in the second, just a little too centered maybe. New England sure looks better when there is a little green around...
  • ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    ritewinger wrote:
    I kind of like the processing in the second, just a little too centered maybe. New England sure looks better when there is a little green around...

I think it looks better with reds, yellows and oranges personally :) but I assure you Wrentham is NOT very scenic in the center of town. While Im proficient enough in Photoshop to remove unwanted elements, I greatly prefer to do it the old fashioned way as much as possible. The damn gazebo's surrounded by traffic signs, busy roads, and a ton of power lines.

I really didn't like my shots when I was walking back to my car. I expected to have to go back in better light, but after processing it I definitely prefer it to the photo of the house!
    Please Look At My Photography!
    http://www.AndyCalnan.com/