Lady Liberty and The Castle

sdnydudesdnydude Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited March 27, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Please let me know your thoughts about the following Shots adn ideas on how to improve them.

820312377_FaQ59-L-1.jpg

808766916_CS4ay-L-4.jpg

Thanks
Stephen

Comments

• PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    sdnydude wrote:
    Please let me know your thoughts about the following Shots adn ideas on how to improve them.

Thanks
    Stephen

I'm going to be picky so put your thick skin on!

First impressions, both are overprocessed. Contrast IMO is too high on #1. Unless you're going for "surreal" (which is fine) then it's too much. The vignette on #2 is uneven, the top right is distracting unless you can match it on the top left.

Composition-wise, the boat lines up with LL too much, needs to be off-center. On a more picky note, if #1 needed to be cropped to a popular "large" size (8x10 or 16x20 for example) it would not work (unless this is already a crop). If you are shooting with the slightest possibility of doing a standard sized enlargement, always leave room.

#2 I'm not sure if the horizon is straight, I feel like it's leaning left. I guess even if technically the horizon is straight, it may need a slight CW turn. I know you can't control people in this shot, but the people (bright colored shirts, etc.) are very distracting. If printing enlargement, I'd clone them out. Also it's a nice subject and a nice capture, but I'm left with the feeling that it's not original - that the same shot has been taken hundreds of times before... if you want something to call "yours" then look for a different angle, a different view.

I think both of them have the potential to be enlarged and put on your wall, they are better than 95% of "hobbiest" photos, and something to be proud of. Working on some of the above things would bring them into "professional" realm and then the possibility of selling to other people. :)
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    sdnydude wrote:
    The lady's face is in shadow - there's no detail! rolleyes1.gif
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    I see them both as snapshots. There's really nothing unique about either scene. With landmark scenes, I think you either have to present a view that is not the standard view or be content that it is a snapshot.

There's not enough detail visible in either to make them more than snapshots.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/