portraits for a broker

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited August 11, 2005 in People
a real estate broker friend of a friend asked me to do some shots for his business card. Comments appreciated. (I removed the fuzzyfleece background after Andy starting puking.. he was right of course... dammit....:1drink )

31729480-M.jpg

couple of casual shots

31720270-L.jpg

31730108-M.jpg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:

31720263-S.jpg

this is good. but that blue felt bg? :puke dear - make some new backdrops or invest in one deal.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    this is good. but that blue felt bg? :puke dear - make some new backdrops or invest in one deal.gif
    you said that last time I did a portraitrolleyes1.gif it's my fleece rug dearest, I put it over me knees in the winter.. it's the only thing I can find that is not wrinkled..rolleyes1.gif what do you suggest I buy then..that won't wrinkle.. and look pukey..ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited August 10, 2005
    making your own photographic backdrop
    lynnma wrote:
    you said that last time I did a portraitrolleyes1.gif it's my fleece rug dearest, I put it over me knees in the winter.. it's the only thing I can find that is not wrinkled..rolleyes1.gif what do you suggest I buy then..that won't wrinkle.. and look pukey..ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

making your own backdrop :flash
    edited August 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    any better?? and I have'nt read your thread yet but will now...rolleyes1.gif

31728967-L.jpg
    edited August 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    yabbut just work on the edges....
    31720263-Ti.jpg
    there... cant see em now..1drink.gif
    edited August 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    ANDY! when was the last time you made your own background with glue and stuff :giggle
    edited August 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    ANDY! when was the last time you made your own background with glue and stuff :giggle

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    any better??

How about going B&W?

Steps to reproduce:

-Channel-mixer monochrome
    Red - 20%
    Green - 10%
    Blue - 70%
    -Use magic Wand to select just the background
    -Gaussian blur (I used 2 pixels but you'd have to use a larger radius for the larger version)

If he really wants color - I'd suggest also adding a "Warming" photo filter layer to get warmer skin tones.
    edited August 10, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    How about going B&W?

Steps to reproduce:

-Channel-mixer monochrome
    Red - 20%
    Green - 10%
    Blue - 70%
    -Use magic Wand to select just the background
    -Gaussian blur (I used 2 pixels but you'd have to use a larger radius for the larger version)

If he really wants color - I'd suggest also adding a "Warming" photo filter layer to get warmer skin tones.
    yea.. thanks that looks better... I was gonna convert some to black and white but ran out of steam tonight.. thanks Phil 1drink.gif
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    yea.. thanks that looks better... I was gonna convert some to black and white but ran out of steam tonight.. thanks Phil 1drink.gif

NP - glad to be able to help out a little. I'm about to toddle off to bed myself.
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    a real estate broker friend of a friend asked me to do some shots for his business card. Comments appreciated. (I removed the fuzzyfleece background after Andy starting puking.. he was right of course... dammit....1drink.gif )
    Besides the backdrop, and I am not sure if you did this intentionally, but in each of the pictures he has the photography equivalent of a military flattop, i.e. the crown of his 'do' is cropped of.

I like the catch light in the first shot (10 o'clock) not so much in 2 and 3 (center eye) (I'd PS that for sure).

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I print these
    I actually print a lot of business cards and brochures for real estate agents. These shots are much better than 85% of the ones I see every day. My only critique is that the first and third shots are a little bright from the light on the left side. I do like the natural looking light of the 2nd pic but don't like the shadows it casts.

I agree with XO about the top of the head being cropped off, are these PP cropped or in the original shot?

As for Phil U's suggestion of going B&W, it could be a good idea. Just be warned that depending on the output device you may get a slight magenta, cyan, or yellow tint to the picture. If you do this make sure the picture is actually set to greyscale.

That's all the wisdom I have for tonight.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited August 11, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    I actually print a lot of business cards and brochures for real estate agents. These shots are much better than 85% of the ones I see every day. My only critique is that the first and third shots are a little bright from the light on the left side. I do like the natural looking light of the 2nd pic but don't like the shadows it casts.

I agree with XO about the top of the head being cropped off, are these PP cropped or in the original shot?

As for Phil U's suggestion of going B&W, it could be a good idea. Just be warned that depending on the output device you may get a slight magenta, cyan, or yellow tint to the picture. If you do this make sure the picture is actually set to greyscale.

That's all the wisdom I have for tonight.

Nick
    thanks gluwater for your wisdom. I think at this stage I'm gonna re process them from scratch. Thanks for the comment re the real estate cards.. cheered me up no end rolleyes1.gif and yes I did crop the tops.. hence the reprocess.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Good work, lynn!
    Think that for business the light is too contrast (His partners may think that he too *abruptly* changes his mind /contrast light on photo tells about this unconsciously/) so I'd take more soft ligh from both sides... (You can try to use reflector)
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    edited August 11, 2005
    Good work, lynn!
    Think that for business the light is too contrast (His partners may think that he too *abruptly* changes his mind /contrast light on photo tells about this unconsciously/) so I'd take more soft ligh from both sides... (You can try to use reflector)
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    Yuri thankyou. When I saw your name on the post I was a little afraid to open itrolleyes1.gif That is a great comment re the light.. I have others I will try to process or I may reshoot. I was unconsciously pushing that light (I like it) and forgot the business side.:D Thanks again.