Pay Day - Color or B&W?

sdnydudesdnydude Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited March 29, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Please provide your comments and critiques for the following shots. In addition to comments on all aspects of this shot, what do you think is more effective, Color or B&W?

820530127_hBvBk-XL.jpg

2. 820528654_yGkpo-XL.jpg

Thanks!
Stephen

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    For me, the B&W works better. In the color shot, the bag the lady is carrying keeps drawing my attention. Otherwise, the color works for me too.

Kris
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    mud390 wrote:
    For me, the B&W works better. In the color shot, the bag the lady is carrying keeps drawing my attention. Otherwise, the color works for me too.

Kris

Very nice image, Stephen. But the color v bw question here is pretty complicated:
    First, and I admit I'd never thought about this before, I believe the answer to the question may in part have to do with whether the viewer is themselves a person of color, or white. I see the bag as somewhat distracting in the color image; on the other hand, I really like the way the orange and green work with the skin color of the subjects. While I do believe that in color you see the subject's clothes, while in black and white you see them, I don't feel that way about this shot. But is that because I am white, and the subject is 'other?' Also, I find the money a bit distracting in both shots, even though it is a vital element in the photo, but I find it extra distracting in the black and white.

So much to consider...mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    IMO it depends if you want the money to be a focal point or not. In the B&W version, I see the money. In the colour version the money is lost amongst all of the bright colours. Instinctively I prefer the B&W but I would guess it depends on the story you're telling... Either way, I love the boy's pose and attitude!!!

HTH.
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I prefer the color much more. The skin tones are rendered much better and the jacket over the shoulder in the b&w becomes way too bright and distracting. BTW, very nice take.