Options

Am I understanding this right? Canon Rebel XS Focusing

helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited March 31, 2010 in Cameras
Hi everyone.

So this may come off as a newbie question, but I just need a little clarification.

Looking at the Canon Rebel XS's specs, it said that there are 7 AF points, but then there is manual point selection. So, here's my understanding of what this means:
-these AF points are what the camera focuses on. So if I had one at the top left of the screen, the camera would focus there.
-manual point selection is where I can move the AF points around.

So, am I understanding it correctly? If not, please correct me.

Here's the link to the specs:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17316#ModelTechSpecsAct

Thanks.
-Brandon

Flickr
My Gear

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited March 27, 2010
    helloyo53 wrote:
    ... -these AF points are what the camera focuses on. So if I had one at the top left of the screen, the camera would focus there.
    -manual point selection is where I can move the AF points around.

The focus points are really more nebulous "regions", represented by points on the viewfinder screen. The points may be selected by the camera in an automated fashion or they may be individually selected in manual mode. You don't move them around, but you can make the manual choice of a single dot using the joystick* control.

Only the center dot is a cross type AF sensor and sensitive to both vertical and horizontal edges.

At the site you linked, click the Features tab and look under "High-speed, wide-area 7-point AF with center cross-type sensors."

*Edit: The Rebel line lacks a joystick. You use the control wheel or directional controls to make the selection, as "colourbox" correctly describes below.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You don't move them around, but you can make the manual choice of a single dot using the joystick control.

The Rebels don't have a joystick, so you select the AF point with the finger wheel. But it can take some time to roll to the point you want, so I turned on the custom function that lets me use the button ring (the "cross keys") for more direct access to focus points, including pressing the center Set button to return home to center focus point.

I either leave it on center or pick one, I never let the camera pick the focus point because it's wrong too often.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited March 27, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    The Rebels don't have a joystick, so you select the AF point with the finger wheel. But it can take some time to roll to the point you want, so I turned on the custom function that lets me use the button ring (the "cross keys") for more direct access to focus points, including pressing the center Set button to return home to center focus point.

I either leave it on center or pick one, I never let the camera pick the focus point because it's wrong too often.

You're right and I should know that the Rebel line lacks a joystick. My bad.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You're right and I should know that the Rebel line lacks a joystick. My bad.

Ziggy is slippin. Now we can't rely on him for anything. Geez. rolleyes1.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Wachel wrote:
    Ziggy is slippin. Now we can't rely on him for anything. Geez. rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl:D
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    The Rebels don't have a joystick, so you select the AF point with the finger wheel. .

??rolleyes1.gif

with the 450D/XSi you don't turn any wheels for the AF points!
    you use the "cross keys" to move the AF point, it's like a toggle joystick!
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    You can use either. :D