advice on tough brothers shoot

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited March 28, 2010 in People
This is actually a reshoot. The problems from last shoot..

one bother 2 yrs old, super super active, won't look at camera. Moves at the speed of light. He is short, big brother quite tall. When I managed to get both boys in the same frame they seemed so disconnected, like just putting 2 halves of different photos together. 12 yr old holding pose, 2 yr old running out of the frame, seeing only his backside.

Other brother 12 yrs old, physically fragile ( challenged) and much slower moving. He also squinted through 399 photos out of 400. Only good shot of his eyes is when Dad accidentally tickled him while trying to keep him from sliding off a tree branch. He also clenches his teeth in place of smiling. We were outdoors and in all types of sun and shade, same squint in shade , in deep shade. Can't have 2 yr old on big brothers lap.

I also had no voice due to laryngitis.

This time..
I have more of a voice to get their attention.

Some of the session will be in my small studio. just natural light. I have 2 stools, one shorter than the other so I can put the 2 yr old on the taller one, or just put him on one.

I also have a futon, as a couch they will be a bit more on equal footing. As a bed I can have them on tummies, chin on palms of hands, and shoot them from their eye level.
And the rest will be outside in the family group of 4.

Any advice on the squint and working with these two brothers getting them in the same photo is appreciated !!
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    A hammer and a box of nails rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    A hammer and a box of nails rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

Haha ! Mom won't like that!!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    That's a tough one. I read somewhere, I think it may have been a Scott Kelby book, that when shooting large groups of people, like at a wedding, to have everyone close their eyes and count down to have them open them at the same time. Then, after a second, take the shot. I wonder if this would work with the active little one..

I was told by another photographer than when shooting kids to have them say "peas and rice" really fast over and over until they start giggling, also as a way to let them loosen up a bit. I tried it with a family shot and got some fun interaction that way.

Good luck!
    Kristen
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    I have had decent luck with what you propose..... Taking their feet out from underneath them (a stool for the 2yo). Can't run if ya can't get traction. rolleyes1.gif

You may also want to consider taking two ports and stitching them together. This would allow you to focus on each individual a bit better. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 28, 2010
    kris10jo wrote:
    That's a tough one. I read somewhere, I think it may have been a Scott Kelby book, that when shooting large groups of people, like at a wedding, to have everyone close their eyes and count down to have them open them at the same time. Then, after a second, take the shot. I wonder if this would work with the active little one..

I was told by another photographer than when shooting kids to have them say "peas and rice" really fast over and over until they start giggling, also as a way to let them loosen up a bit. I tried it with a family shot and got some fun interaction that way.

Good luck!

I planned to try the eyes shut and open thing, but the peas and rice thing sounds worth a try, thanks!! The older boy was very stiff, this sounds promising. My shoot is this afternoon, I'll make sure to post the results.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
    edited March 28, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I have had decent luck with what you propose..... Taking their feet out from underneath them (a stool for the 2yo). Can't run if ya can't get traction. rolleyes1.gif

You may also want to consider taking two ports and stitching them together. This would allow you to focus on each individual a bit better. ne_nau.gif

heheee it took me a while to get what you meant....all I saw was ..take two port and stitch together..and still had the no traction for feet in my head AND I envisioned some type of pants legs sewn together and putting their legs in it, like a 3 legged race....hahaha

Yes the leg thing is the reason the tree pose worked, it was too high for the 2w yr old to jump out of!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • johnmirelesjohnmireles Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Is there a reason why you're shooting them in your studio? When working with active, running around kids, shooting on location is generally a much better way to engage the kids. I often like to start at the client's house so the kids are in their home turf. Then we'll head out somewhere fun.

By the time we're on location, they're comfortable with me. I also don't have to worry about them not sitting still since I'll just follow them.

John