Faerie Falls

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited March 31, 2010 in Landscapes
hi all! no, i haven't fallen off the face of the earth... just been busy with moving (trying to cram a 3BR house into a 2BR apartment is not fun!), and with the lousy weather this time of year, i haven't been out much. however, today i decided i'd been sitting on my duff too long, so i took advantage of some decent weather and headed out highway 20 to Marblemount, thence up the Cascade River Road, in search of waterfalls which are said to exist there. there weren't as many as i'd been led to believe - in fact, the ones i'd actually gone to see were nowhere to be found - but i did find this hidden gem. it's not visible from the road - all you can see from there is a small stream flowing into a culvert - but get out of the car, walk upstream 20 yards of so, then scramble up a 20 foot cliff, and you're rewarded with this little jewel. as far as i know, it has no name, nor does the little stream itself, so i took the liberty of naming it... ;) in any case, it was well worth the climb! 5D, 24-135 @ 24mm, 3 sec @ f/14...

IMG_8216cropsmrdx.jpg

a slightly more head-on view, 1.6 sec @ f/9...

IMG_8201cropsmrdx.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Good choice of namemwink.gif

You got a lovely reward for your efforts in finding a hidden treasure.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Don't you love it when you run across those little spots that most of the world us just passing by...

Beautiful and well captured. They're both nice but I like the second one best. The contrasting splash of red log in lower right is a nice touch. Well done thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Rare Find
    It's great to discover rare finds like this, and even better sharing with us! Inspires us to make the extra effort to find great shots. They're both great but I like the comp of the 2nd one best.
    Larry
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    I love these. Love the colors, processing et al...

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Glad to hear that you decided to get out there and shoot! It was a great time and I am just floored by the gorgeous little sunspots in the second shot. amazing color. Great catches thumb.gif

(Good luck on your move!)
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    thanks, folks! this was one of those "happy accidents" that seem to happen all too rarely... i'm just glad i was able to get these.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 30, 2010
    Good find, and great job on those, Rocky. The moss looks absolutely iridescent. So cool. thumb.gif
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    These are really great and kudos to you for finding this out-of-the-way spot and capturing it so well.

PC
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!