A Patch of Poppies in the Desert

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited March 31, 2010 in Landscapes
Poppies are such a delicate bloom in the stark dry desert. The least wind blows them, they open only during the middle of the day so lighting is always harsh, they like the south side so taking a picture is a dance around my shadow - but they grow among the cactus and snakes. I find them hard to catch!

[/url]821525358_B9xeR-XL.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Lovely, beautiful tilt effect
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    I agree, and beautiful side light to 'pop' out the color. :D Nice capture.
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Beautiful, Eia! You did a great job of capturing them during the midday sun.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Beautiful shot Eia. Beautiful poppies mixed with chia for sure, maybe forget-me-nots and something I can't quite make out. The flower season here hasn't quite started yet.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • masterofonemasterofone Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Great shot. I can't see enough of this stuff.
    Brian
    Have keyboard and opinion.

Senska Photography
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    That's a great shot. Love the colors. They just seem to pop out at ya!

Cheers,
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Lovely colors.

Lens flare may be present on the bottom right hand side of the image reducing the contrast or perhaps a smudge on the lens? Try covering the sun with your other hand when shooting, it happens to me all the time. Just pointing it out. :)

Share some more please!
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 29, 2010
    Beautiful! I can't wait for flowers to start blooming here as well! thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Nice shot Eia-

Couple more weeks left to get as many shots as we can.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Lovely, beautiful tilt effect

Thanks Awais. Actually the tilt effect is me on the hillside. And I might add my backside is quite sore from sliding and all the cactus stuff sticking. I had poppie juice all over! :D
    edited March 29, 2010
    Beautiful, Eia! You did a great job of capturing them during the midday sun.
    Thanks Christina - I think the mid day sun in a few weeks will melt me away with the poppies! :D
    edited March 29, 2010
    wfeller wrote:
    Beautiful shot Eia. Beautiful poppies mixed with chia for sure, maybe forget-me-nots and something I can't quite make out. The flower season here hasn't quite started yet.

-

Thanks for the comment Walter. I have a few 'flower' shots to post. There really are quite a few varieties making the desert quite colorful!
    edited March 29, 2010
    mr peas wrote:
    Lovely colors.

Lens flare may be present on the bottom right hand side of the image reducing the contrast or perhaps a smudge on the lens? Try covering the sun with your other hand when shooting, it happens to me all the time. Just pointing it out. :)

Share some more please!

Thank you for that great tip! Yes it is flare! Tons of people were on the side of the road taking roadside poppy pictures. One poor lady and her husband were trying to shade the poppies with their shade screen. It got caught in the cactus - can't imagine the mess!
    edited March 29, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Nice shot Eia-

Couple more weeks left to get as many shots as we can.

Thanks Aaron. Yep, we were just saying that in a few weeks we probably would not be able to hike in the desert...I don't even want to think about the triple digits upon us!:cry
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I love your comment about dancing around your shadow when shooting poppies! Nice shot. I find wildflowers so challenging. I'm still searching for that elusive magic composition in the higgledy piggledy world or wildflowers. But the search is so much fun, eh? thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    ohhh ahhhhh clap.gif nice!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited March 29, 2010
    DavidTO wrote:
    I love your comment about dancing around your shadow when shooting poppies! Nice shot. I find wildflowers so challenging. I'm still searching for that elusive magic composition in the higgledy piggledy world or wildflowers. But the search is so much fun, eh? thumb.gif
    You aint kiddin that the search is so much fun...and challenging!

Here is a pic of my husband after he guides me to spots... he takes a snooze while I am scurrying on the hillside! where's Waldo?

822568073_8H7FN-XL.jpg

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Nice capture, Eia! I think you did very well with the lighting--the color is wonderful!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 31, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Nice capture, Eia! I think you did very well with the lighting--the color is wonderful!

Thanks for the kind comment RL! The colors are really gorgeous in the desert, we just have to wait for the sun's glare to settle to let us see it! :D