Options

My 1st Bride Ever...

Kathy RayKathy Ray Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited April 4, 2010 in Weddings
From a recent session with NorCal Professional Photographers. It was a great 6 hours of 20 models, 4 hair/makeup, limo, church & park. Let the editing begin. Would love any CC. Thanks, Kathy Ray

Comments

• Options
    edited March 29, 2010
  • Options
    johnny lichtmannjohnny lichtmann Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Wow that is very slick for a first attempt :D very ethereal, excellent composition, though I can't see where the right arm of the model is.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Thanks Johnny....it was over the back of the pew, holding the flowers. Kathy
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Very nice shot! Love the surreal effect of this. I too, would have preferred the arm be over the back of the pew so as to be seen with the hand draped over the leading edge holding the flowers. Just a personal preference, however. Gorgeous model! thumb.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Really love this pic. Great angles and expression. Interesting choice of processing but I think it works and I see where you were going.

Just a note of caution though (having been through a similar experience shooting a model bride several years back)...you may have trouble getting this type of shot to work in a "real life" context. Most brides -- even thin ones -- do not have the bone structure to tolerate such a low shooting angle AND tilting their head down toward you. They also do not just automatically flash such great expressions like professional models do. You have to really coax it out of them...all while their heart is racing and they feel awkward in front of a camera.

Does anyone else care to weigh in on how you have achieved shots like this in a real life wedding?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I'm going to disagree with the posters so far... I think the loss of her arm makes this a terrible composition. The veil is chopped off in front of her which is distracting also and to me makes the image seem incomplete. I do like the processing although for my taste there is to much work on her face and you have approached fake. Her expression is great and she is gorgeous but the composition IMHO is poor. 15 degrees right and it would have been far better shot. Lynn makes a good point also.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I really like the feel and the muted color. I just can't get over the missing right arm. It is very distracting. Also, it may have been nice to have the bride pivot slightly at the waist toward the camera, to give a little more of a curve to her figure. Beautiful model and great expression.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Thank you for all the CC's; Appreciated. I had 8 other photographers in the group rotation and the posing/cropping issues have help my awareness and with a "Real" bride I think your critiques are right on. I will post more soon.
    Kathy
  • Options
    thomasjmthomasjm Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    I am ambivalent about the arm. I think the missing arm leads the viewer to see more of the dress, but I can also see how that is unnatural.

I love the muted tones as pointed out by another poster already. My one suggestion is to lay off on the blur on the skin a bit. The skin is starting to look plasticy and the texture of the skin is lost. I suspect a few real brides might object to that.

Great shot though. I am really digging it.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    I have to agree with Matt. I think what would've fixed the arm issue, would be to move the flowers so that it doesn't break the arm, and also have the hand holding the flowers visible. And yes, her skin is over processed. And I think the color is a tad too dull. I think it has potential, and its coming close to being a great image... it just aint cuban. ne_nau.gif (close but no cigar)
    Jer