Greetings! And now a Canon DSLR question...

AragornAragorn Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited June 19, 2004 in Cameras
Greetings one and all!

This is my first post but seeing how Seamaiden, my Significant Other, and I have been discussing my forthcoming DSLR purchase, I thought I'd throw it out for any feedback from those of you who have much more experience in these matters. Now for a little background and the question:

I've decided upon purchasing either a Canon 300D(Rebel) or a Canon 10D. I've been researching both and have the ability to purchase either. However, allow me to preface this by stating that I am by no stretch of the imagination a "pro". I have a Canon EOS-1 that I still enjoy and a Sony DSC-70 Digital that I am unhappy with due to it's limitations. I am looking for one of these cameras to suit my needs for years to come. I am technically adept so I'm not too concerned about a learning curve per se.

With that being said...Would the 10D be "overkill" for someone such as myself? Would the extra dollars be money well spent? I've read info regarding AF features, MLU and such and am beginning to get the feeling that the 10D would be a better investment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Aragorn wrote:
    Greetings one and all!
    With that being said...Would the 10D be "overkill" for someone such as myself? Would the extra dollars be money well spent? I've read info regarding AF features, MLU and such and am beginning to get the feeling that the 10D would be a better investment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The real answer depends to a large extent on how important $500 is to you. I would certainly choose the 10d over the 300d.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    The best price I found for the 10D is $779

For the Digital Rebel it's $489

Help with the decision any?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AragornAragorn Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2004
    Thanks for the quick reply folks. I wouldn't say that money is no object, but I am in a position where I certainly do have enough funds to purchase either without impacting my budget(just closed escrow on the sale of some land). So I guess the 10D is a camera that I could easily "grow into", yes? It's not too much camera for somebody with limited digital photography expertise?
    edited June 11, 2004
    Aragorn wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply folks. I wouldn't say that money is no object, but I am in a position where I certainly do have enough funds to purchase either without impacting my budget(just closed escrow on the sale of some land). So I guess the 10D is a camera that I could easily "grow into", yes? It's not too much camera for somebody with limited digital photography expertise?

I have a Digi Rebel that I bought when they first came out. Now that the prices can get so close, I would get the 10D. The big difference is that the 300D is a crippled version of the 10D, with a cheaper to produce body. The sensor's the same, but the firmware is not as robust and doesn't allow as much flexbility (so I've been told). So the 10D is not too much camera, it's a 300D with the governor taken off. Sounds like the camera for you.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    If you're planning to have the camera for many years, the more sturdy construction of the 10D should be taken into account.

As you budget, the cost of buying lenses should be a big consideration. That's where the difference in cost between the two cameras will be spent. IMHO lenses will also make a bigger difference to your shots than either of the two camera bodies. Dunno if others agree.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 11, 2004
    I have used a 10D since last August and have been very pleased with it - it is everything I expected and more. I bought a 300D for my wife when it came out - she is a point and shoot Canon beginner mode person. It works well for her, but she is not into mirror LU or thinking of exposure compensation routinely.

If you have significant experience with an EOS 1 film camera, you are likely to be disappointed with the 300D's limitations, I suspect. Like they say - the sensor is the same as the 10D, but the feel is completely different. The 10D feels like a pro camera and gives you much more control if you do your homework and know how to use the creative zones - Av Tv P - as Canon calls them. The 300D is definitely configured to favor those shooters who use the Green or Basic zones as Canon calls them. When you use the green zones you are automatically shifted to jpgs even if you prefer RAW files in both cameras.

If I were to have to replace either I would buy a 10D rather than the 300D again unless I would have to give up eating first. My two cents.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 11, 2004
    Definitely good feedback folks. Many thanks. Guess I'll be going with the 10D then. If you don't mind another question. The research I've studied states that any EF lens should work with the 10D. I've got this old EF 70-210mm Canon Zoom lens that works on my EOS-1. This'll work on the 10D?
    edited June 11, 2004
    Aragorn wrote:
    Definitely good feedback folks. Many thanks. Guess I'll be going with the 10D then. If you don't mind another question. The research I've studied states that any EF lens should work with the 10D. I've got this old EF 70-210mm Canon Zoom lens that works on my EOS-1. This'll work on the 10D?
    The EF lenses to my understanding are all electronically controlled, and if they work in the EOS 1, they should work in the 10D.

edited June 11, 2004
    Sweet...Thanks.
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

Those prices are excellent, David. Can you lend that expertise to an underwater housing for the 10D (we're looking at a possible Bali trip end of August)?
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited June 11, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

Read the reviews at http://www.price.com/vendor_review_display.html?vid=-2147483185 and maybe those prices will not sound so good.
    edited June 12, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Read the reviews at http://www.price.com/vendor_review_display.html?vid=-2147483185 and maybe those prices will not sound so good.
    I have always lived by the motto that if it sounds too good to be true - it is too good to be true! I'll stick with B&H and Adorama and Amazon. I am not adventurous in mail order. Pissed.gif

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have always lived by the motto that if it sounds too good to be true - it is too good to be true! I'll stick with B&H and Adorama and Amazon. I am not adventurous in mail order. Pissed.gif

Completely agree with you Pathfinder. I got my camera from B&H. The price was better than local stores, shipping was fast, equipment first quality. I read reviews of other sites first and really got scared. I'm not interested in that run around. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited June 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    As you budget, the cost of buying lenses should be a big consideration. That's where the difference in cost between the two cameras will be spent. IMHO lenses will also make a bigger difference to your shots than either of the two camera bodies. Dunno if others agree.
    Couldn't agree more. In fact, I was saying this very same thing the other night when Seamaiden and I were discussing the camera.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 12, 2004
    Guess I've just been lucky. Bought from Brooklyn, from vendors with mixed ratings. And I've never had a problem, they've always delivered exactly what they said they would when they said they would. US warranties and all. I do, however, fully understand the need for caution and I do agree that voting with your pocketbook for a store you love or that gives great service is the way to go.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

Those prices are shocking...truly shocking. The 10D price is half what I paid.:bash
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited June 13, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Those prices are shocking...truly shocking. The 10D price is half what I paid.:bash
    They are not real prices.
    edited June 14, 2004
    I bought my camera, after many months of research (which simply cannot substitute for hands-on time with the beast) from buydig.com. I was very pleased with the service and the package, though I could have used a tube of lubrication with the shipping price for 2nd day. I also purchased an outside warranty that extends my total coverage to six years. So far, so good. And it's a good thing that my little Oly can handle my BUTTER FINGERS! I've now dropped the poor thing more times than I can count!

I am, btw, looking very much forward to being allowed to play with the Canon. :D
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    Seamaiden, neither the 10D nor the 300D has an underwater housing that will work with it... Straight from the mouth of a Canon representative at their corporate offices... Sucks, huh? *sighs* Oh well, maybe theres one for my f828...

The 10D has mirror LU?!?! Thats the answer to a question Ive asked several times before.... The Drebel doesnt though, right?

Also, did you guys see the one positive review on the bottom?! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif That guy is like an Idiot Savant! He almost managed to make stupid look cool! Which is equally as stupid! I had to laugh after reading that!
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    Seamaiden, neither the 10D nor the 300D has an underwater housing that will work with it... Straight from the mouth of a Canon representative at their corporate offices...

Ikelite makes underwater housings for both the 10D and 300D, they can be found here, not the cheapest way to go, but they are available.
    edited June 18, 2004
    Heh, when searching, I found Aragorn a ziploc baggie-type "underwater housing". It was $175, and really super heavy duty! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it, a BAGGIE! Eeeyeah.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Why did the guy at Canon tell me that nobody made a housing for either camera then? This was only less than a month ago... Like less than two weeks.
    Shady reps?

seamaiden, whats with the bold font when typing someone's name? Its just plain goofy, and it seems like an unnecessary effort...
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
    edited June 19, 2004
    Habit, it's my style.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery