Taking Advantage of Today's Natural Light

kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited March 31, 2010 in People
Today was beautifully light and overcast, so I grabbed the camera to chase the girls outside. I wish the light was like this everyday.

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated!

821691762_zMPVG-L.jpg
Kristen

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Looks good to me. I like the catchlights in her eyes myself. Almost looks like you're standing in front of a reflector? headscratch.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    The light is good. The catchlights are good.

The perspective has been sooooo over-done it's boring.

Have some fun with your daughter and the camera. Some ideas:
    • Get down on your belly and shoot up at her.
    • Let her look down on you a bit.
    • Get the camera at her eye-level.
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Thank you, Pete! I noticed that, too, if you're referring to my reflection. You can zoom in and see me in her eyes. I wasn't trying to do that, but it's one more thing for me to remember while shooting.

And I am guilty of over-doing this angle, Scott! I did take a few others, though, but thank you for the reminder to keep it interesting and shoot from different perspectives.

1. Haven't quite decided if this should be cropped or not. I know it's almost dead center.
    822166748_Dywu9-L.jpg

2. And I was trying to go for a dramatic black & white with my older daughter.
    821702241_rjfmD-L.jpg

821664389_5jhq5-L.jpg
    Kristen
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    There's something very intriguing about that last one that I really like. thumb.gif
    The second one, I think, needs a little bit of evening of the skin tones prior to the b/w conversion since it makes her lower face look kinda dirty -- unless that was what you were going for.

Nice work!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Cute cute little one! I still like the overdone angle! She looks adorable, although the skin tones (on my monitor) seem very orange. Maybe it is because my kids are so fair, but it almost looks jaundicey....I love the expressions you've captured! Nice job!clap.gif
    edited March 29, 2010
    I think I will go back to #2 again and re-work the skin tone. My girls have very sensitive skin, and she was kind of having some rosacea-like symptoms yesterday. I tried to smooth it out a bit, but I think it just ended up looking a little muddy.

As for skin tone, it could be my monitor. The original posting is almost close to her skin tone, I think, but again, could be a bit too warm-ish. The #1 centered photo seems off (a little pink to me), but I thought maybe it was because she was laughing so hard that all the blood rushed to her head! I may play around with those again, too.

Thanks, Andrew and Kelly! I appreciate the feedback!
    Kristen
    edited March 30, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Cute cute little one! I still like the overdone angle! She looks adorable, although the skin tones (on my monitor) seem very orange. Maybe it is because my kids are so fair, but it almost looks jaundicey....I love the expressions you've captured! Nice job!clap.gif

I took a look on another monitor last night, and you were right! There's a serious tint of orange going on in the skin tones! Thanks for pointing that out. :)
    Kristen
    edited March 30, 2010
    Some re-edits.

1. Color-corrected
    823784131_VKier-M.jpg

2. Color-corrected
    823785285_sdTA4-M.jpg

3. Scrapped the first version and started all over
    823827655_PTyKn-M.jpg
    Kristen
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    The reworks are much better IMO. Nice job!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited March 31, 2010
    Thanks, Andrew. :)

Oh, and I didn't mean to remove the original photo... note to self for future posts!
    Kristen