Options

Wedding 3-20-10

TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited March 31, 2010 in Weddings
Here's a few from a recent wedding at the University of Minnesota. Unfortunately the sun was coming through one window and was hitting the Groom on the back/neck, otherwise it would have been very nice lighting. Some of these still need a lot of PP. C&C welcomed and appreciated.

817677614_97WTm-XL-2.jpg

818009301_MaMbT-XL-1.jpg

817678701_hy4iB-XL-2.jpg

817680827_m7EN9-XL-1.jpg

817896366_Xhpgq-XL-1.jpg

817895067_VDdHb-XL-2.jpg

817900272_88pvk-XL-2.jpg

821115407_cNunQ-XL.jpg

817227310_nfjQw-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Wow...some very cinematic ceremony shots! clap.gif

4 and 8 are particularly stunning. Great processing choices.

Some of the others are great --love the expression and rim lighting in 6-- just need the black levels deepened.

Love that Travolta-esque groom...very photogenic and expressive.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    4+6! iloveyou.gif

Too bad in #1 has the "exit" sign in it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Great job! Here are some of my thoughts on how to make it even better :)

1. Straighten it out a bit
    2. Way cool. This is one of the better top down ceremony shots I have seen.
    3. Straighten, possibly process with more contrast (crush blacks) to match others. Maybe cut out family on right? They look lost...
    4. Really well done. Great moment with perfect expressions. Maybe next time get the best man as well?
    5. I might pull the frame down a bit to get the feet of the best man/maid of honor & move the b&g up and out of center.
    6. Needs more contrast to me, maybe move over to the right (I have no idea what was actually in your way) to get the flower out of the officiants hair & move b&g from center (think thirds).
    7. This is the weakest of the set to me. Try a new angle or approach (maybe negative space, or reflection?)
    8. Love this, but watch the vertical line through the grooms head.
    9. I echo Ted's thoughts on the exit sign, I would make this disappear.

beautiful set!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Thank you all for the input, compliments and great advice! I have 2400 shots from the wedding and I need to get to work on processing them. Going into this wedding, I was worried about the lack of lighting, but the sunshine really lit the place up. Hopefully I can recover some of the blown out areas on the back of the groom. I'll post more when I finish them.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    I cloned out the EXIT sign and gave it a little Orten Effect. Does this work any better?

822987481_HyWCU-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I think it is much better! Although I can see bits where you cloned. But that's only since I knew where to look.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Very nice photos, boy ... what a church eek7.gifiloveyou.gif

I agree(d) about the exit sign, was just about to say the same, looking much better not. thumb.gif .... I wish the couple would see what you did to that pic, you should keep the before & post it on your website as a sample thumb.gif

Other than that, tenoverthenose pretty much nailed it with the c&c, so .... I have not much to ad rolleyes1.gif .... other than I LOVE #4 iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Thanks again everyone! It's very inspiring to get compliments from the seasoned pros. This was my 3rd wedding and I have a long way to go to get where I want to be.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Nice stuff, you did a good job of managing the light.
    Nice and sharp and nothing blown out that shouldn't have been.

I do not like the redo after removing the exit sign, if that is all you did it would have been ok, but some type of blur effect has been added to it that does not look good.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

And yes, I agree, what an awesome location!!!

*just out of curiosity, why is the second bridesmaid seated and the rest aren't?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

And yes, I agree, what an awesome location!!!

*just out of curiosity, why is the second bridesmaid seated and the rest aren't?

Well thank you so much! That is the McNamara Center at the University of Minnesota. Not a church at all. I was really worried about the lighting in there before hand, since there was no where to bounce. I rented the 5D MkII and 7D so I could comfortably shoot at 1600 and 3200 ISO. Turns out there was a lot more light than I anticipated.

The 2nd bridesmaid had just had some type of brain surgery and her balance was not very good, so she needed a chair.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Nice stuff, you did a good job of managing the light.
    Nice and sharp and nothing blown out that shouldn't have been.

I do not like the redo after removing the exit sign, if that is all you did it would have been ok, but some type of blur effect has been added to it that does not look good.

Thank you Zoomer! I admire your work and value your opinion. I'll probably give the bride separate versions to let her decide what she wants.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    TGAllen wrote:
    Well thank you so much! That is the McNamara Center at the University of Minnesota. Not a church at all. I was really worried about the lighting in there before hand, since there was no where to bounce. I rented the 5D MkII and 7D so I could comfortably shoot at 1600 and 3200 ISO. Turns out there was a lot more light than I anticipated.

The 2nd bridesmaid had just had some type of brain surgery and her balance was not very good, so she needed a chair.

thumb.gif for tons of light!!