A portrait attempt

MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited August 12, 2005 in People
I'm very pleased with this shot, and would love to hear how others felt about it as well. Criticism appreciated, portrait photography is something I feel I can improve allot on. Thanks!

30285463-L.jpg

AJ

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    I'm very pleased with this shot, and would love to hear how others felt about it as well. Criticism appreciated, portrait photography is something I feel I can improve allot on. Thanks!

AJ
    I think it's a beautiful shot Musky, I'm with you, my portraits are my most challenging thing right now, I struggle a lot.

I love the shot but I keep wishing I could see that other eye! I feel I'm not seeing the whole feeling. Just my 2.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I like the result, Musky!
    Its just a 'sudden' photo.
    As for me, I prefer to work 'in contact'. I always loudly count to three (so the 'model' knows when the shot will be taken and keeps her/his eyes open and so on...)
    Of course, not all of them know that I make 1,2,3 or even 6 photos during counting :-)
    Yuri
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    As for me, I prefer to work 'in contact'. I always loudly count to three (so the 'model' knows when the shot will be taken and keeps her/his eyes open and so on...)
    Of course, not all of them know that I make 1,2,3 or even 6 photos during counting :-)
    Yuri
    Oh Yuri... now you are giving away secrets.. which I intend to grab rolleyes1.gif
  • MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I think it's a beautiful shot Musky, I'm with you, my portraits are my most challenging thing right now, I struggle a lot.

I love the shot but I keep wishing I could see that other eye! I feel I'm not seeing the whole feeling. Just my 2.
    Thank you Lynn, thats exactly what I was looking to hear. I wondered if the photo would have been better had I gotten both eyes in the shot. Much appreciated! thumb.gif

AJ
    edited August 11, 2005
    Yuri
    Thank you so much Yuri for your input, I highly respect it. And I thank you for your tips, I will most definately try that next time a portrait opportunity arrises.

Spasibo, Yuri!

AJ
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Aj I don't think you have far to go and you already know with such a beautiful subject we should see her whole face. I have enjoyed all your photographs from your time with Dani. Thnxs for sharing.
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I think it is a great shot, the cap over the eye lends an air of mystery!
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    HI Aj,
    I'm no portrait photog, but I like it. Usually, both eyes would be good, but I like the way the cap curves about her face. The shadow detail under the cap is excellentthumb.gif. Her expression seems relaxed, but the cap hides too much to tell for sure (I assume so). Now, the printing on the shirt is quite distracting. At first, I though something or someone had gotten sick:pukeon her shirt. That's just what caught my eye on first glance.

Overall, I like it, cap and all. Then again, it's hard not to have a nice shot with a model like thatnaughty.gif.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

edited August 11, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Aj I don't think you have far to go and you already know with such a beautiful subject we should see her whole face. I have enjoyed all your photographs from your time with Dani. Thnxs for sharing.

Thank you Eric, and I do appreciate it. thumb.gif

AJ
    edited August 11, 2005
    wally5656 wrote:
    I think it is a great shot, the cap over the eye lends an air of mystery!
    Thanks Wally it's appreciated! thumb.gif

AJ
    edited August 11, 2005
    Hi Chris
    HI Aj,
    I'm no portrait photog, but I like it. Usually, both eyes would be good, but I like the way the cap curves about her face. The shadow detail under the cap is excellentthumb.gif. Her expression seems relaxed, but the cap hides too much to tell for sure (I assume so). Now, the printing on the shirt is quite distracting. At first, I though something or someone had gotten sick:pukeon her shirt. That's just what caught my eye on first glance.

Overall, I like it, cap and all. Then again, it's hard not to have a nice shot with a model like thatnaughty.gif.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris
    Thanks for your comments Chris, I appreciate it. Heh, I was wondering when someone would notice the t-shirt, lol. I think she chose that one for fear I (northern-no-rider) might suddenly have one the same style... :D

And I agree about the subject of course. Sure made it easy to get great shots... thumb.gif

AJ
  • DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Now, the printing on the shirt is quite distracting. At first, I though something or someone had gotten sick:pukeon her shirt. That's just what caught my eye on first glance.
    you mean you don't like my Nine Inch Nails 'Downward Spiral' T-shirt???? umph.gif

:D
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:

30285463-S.jpg

AJ

you're model's very hot. i wonder if she's available iloveyou.gif
  • DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you're model's very hot. i wonder if she's available iloveyou.gif

Sorry Andy!!! I'm taken! but... I hear the mare is available? rolleyes1.gif
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Dani wrote:
    Sorry Andy!!! I'm taken! but... I hear the mare is available? rolleyes1.gif

:nah pass...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited August 11, 2005
    Dani wrote:
    ... I hear the mare is available? rolleyes1.gif
    Let me see..., it's been a while! Do you have her number? (I figure, "what the 'hay'".)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 11, 2005
    Hey there AJ - I've taken my time on this one and visited several times before offering this up: great shot! sweet and simple thumb.gif

I may have preferred not to crop so much of her head but that's just a personal preference. This shot is nicely composed, colors and light are nice, subject is interesting, girl and horse obviously connect and the girl is very pretty. I love that we only see one eye.
    edited August 12, 2005
    Naygative...
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Let me see..., it's been a while! Do you have her number? (I figure, "what the 'hay'".)

ziggy53

rolleyes1.gif I don't know her number, but her name is "Old Grey". :D

Thanks Ziggy!

AJ
    edited August 12, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey there AJ - I've taken my time on this one and visited several times before offering this up: great shot! sweet and simple thumb.gif

I may have preferred not to crop so much of her head but that's just a personal preference. This shot is nicely composed, colors and light are nice, subject is interesting, girl and horse obviously connect and the girl is very pretty. I love that we only see one eye.

Thank you very much Angelo! I wish I had of framed it a bit differently, with more of Dani's head in the shot but unfortunately this is the original shot, no cropping. I appreciate your comments, thanks! thumb.gif

AJ