What could I have done better?

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited April 2, 2010 in People
First one I've processed, have about 40 more, but this one seems off to me...
C&C Please

822617940_WodtU-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I'm in no way a pro, but here's my take..
    Is it desaturated at all? The color doesnt seem to *pop* much..? Her hands are both cut off too, so that is a bit distracting, could you try a closer crop, say chest up and see if that brings the attention more to her expression than the different pattern of her shirt mixed with the rocky background?
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    The look isn't real flattering (meaning facial expression and pose)...looking a bit stiff but could be used to your advantage. The processing is a bit too edgy making her skin hardened. It all depends where you want this shot go in post. If going for the contrasted look, take it further, or go the other way and brighten it up (the subject only) and beautify....add some color. There also appears to be red in the pupils.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Made some adjustments, any better?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Here's what I see that might be throwing you off:
    • I'm not too thrilled with her expression. Probably because it induces the wrinkled forehead.
    • You cut off her finger tips and the right edge cuts through her wrist
    • Her face seems a bit dark to me, but that might be this monitor
    • Background is very, very busy. Would (maybe) have been better if you could have provided a bit of seperation between her and that background - some distance and a much larger aperture.
    • Her pose is a bit different - very stiff
    • Color seems off - maybe a de-sat? Not sure it's working here.
    Final note - I wrote the above before I read the entire thread. If the image in Post #1 is a re-work, hmmmmm I think you may want re-think your workflow and/or processing technique a bit.
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Here's what I see that might be throwing you off:
    • I'm not too thrilled with her expression. Probably because it induces the wrinkled forehead.
    • You cut off her finger tips and the right edge cuts through her wrist
    • Her face seems a bit dark to me, but that might be this monitor
    • Background is very, very busy. Would (maybe) have been better if you could have provided a bit of seperation between her and that background - some distance and a much larger aperture.
    • Her pose is a bit different - very stiff
    • Color seems off - maybe a de-sat? Not sure it's working here.
    Final note - I wrote the above before I read the entire thread. If the image in Post #1 is a re-work, hmmmmm I think you may want re-think your workflow and/or processing technique a bit.

Agreed - that was my first thought.
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.