Happy Apple Customer

carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited April 12, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
The Bad news, My computer died Saturday night and when I got to looking why it died I found out I had an antifreeze leak, yes antifreeze, My g5 duel 2.7 was bleeding. My computer is 6 months past the extended warrany experation date (4.5 years old). I jumped on the internet with my other computer and visited www.xlr8yourmac.com and did some looking. Thanks to this site I called Apples customer service to see what they could do for me. I got a phone call back today and they are going to cover all repairs related to the leak at no charge to me. :clap :barb Talk about excellent customer service. Just wanted to let everybody know about the great things from apple support.
Carl

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I like to eat apples too.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    They really owed it to you. The liquid-cooled G5s were an act of desperation. Apple could not get IBM/Motorola to make a G5 fast enough to keep up with the Intel chips (not to mention unable to make a G5 suitable for laptops), so to eke out the last possible MHz, Apple punted and overclocked the G5, which would have overheated using standard fan cooling. So they had to put in a freaking car radiator. Which a lot of people guessed was a coolant leak waiting to happen, and sure enough. At that point it was clear Apple was screwed if they stayed with that chip family and moved the entire line over to Intel CPUs, which of course, worked out spectacularly well and solved all the problems with performance, cooling, and reliability.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 30, 2010
    Liquid coolant, computer mother boards and heat, what a great combination. I should have known better too.

I had mine worked on several times, until they ultmately replaced the whole box, and that failed also.

My present Intel quad core Power Mac has been flawless, though.

I will give Apple credit, they never balked at trying to fix my dual G5; I just got tired of being on a first name basis with my dealer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Quite a few years ago, I had a powerbook that had a bad inverter (screen would go black). I sent it in to Apple and they fixed it cheerfully under AppleCare. However, it kept failing. After the third repair, about 20 days later it started acting up again. At this point, my AppleCare had expired. I got onto the phone and explained very politely to the first-line person that while I appreciated the efforts to fix it, there was obviously a deeper problem and really needed their help with a solution. He passed me to the second-level person. Again, I politely explained that while I was appreciative of the repair efforts, there was clearly a deeper problem. I asked him if we might be able to do one more repair since the last had failed and swap the motherboard instead of continuing to swap the inverter.

He took one look at the repair history and said, "You know, I think we've put you through enough. We appreciate your patience with those attempted repairs. I'll put in an order right now for a completely new powerbook." (And again, this machine's AppleCare had just expired)

Now, that's not to say that kind of story will always happen. But in general there's more success stories than horror stories in my experience. The big key is to realize that being ugly with someone is the fastest path to "I'm sorry sir, there's nothing I can do."
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Just to update everybody I received my mac back. Due to the leak they had to replace the motherboard, CPU's, and the power supply. So I essentially have a brand new computer. I am glad that I decided to make a phone call to the support center. Big Kudos to the Apple support team.
    Carl