Lacy at the London Bridge

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited March 30, 2010 in People
The London Bridge was built in 1831, in London of course. However, it has resided in Lake Havasu City, AZ since 1971. Lacy has resided in the area for far less time than that. However, her native American ancestry goes back hundreds of years.

822853774_MY2Fx-O.jpg

822853723_pXxQm-O.jpg

822854097_N7DPr-O.jpg

822853967_zX6Yr-O.jpg

822854053_hGRmb-O.jpg

822853824_S54Ue-O.jpg

822853877_FkLEN-O.jpg

823148506_nEnHE-O.jpg

823229811_FAVX4-O.jpg

822892439_pGeQn-O.jpg

822854195_ta5FX-O.jpg

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome.

-joel

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Gorgeous model.

Your reflector use on a couple of them is a wee-bit harsh though. For example, the nose shadow on #1 would look better if the reflector was held higher and aimed down more-- and feathered perhaps just a bit.

#2 is very nice.

Love the pose on #4 but the left side of her nose has the telltale signs of that low reflector again (natural light tends to come from above, not the side, and if it's from the side -- sunrise or sunset -- it's usually very soft).

I'm seeing that same too low reflector issue on the others except 10 and 11, which are very nice in my opinion. The styling and model are awesome though :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Really beautiful model, setting and poses! I love the DOF on these. You have done a wonderful job. The only ones for me that weren't homerun's were 5 and 10 (and hard and too defined nose shadow on 1). Personal taste on 10 because of the distortion. I have seen this done but it always bothers me with the leg looking so long. And for 5 just because of the little light to the side of the nose and I notice the small/dilated pupils more there. Did you use any direct flash on these? The harsh shadow from her nose must be reflector created in #1? Numbers 2,3,4,6,8,9,11 are near perfect for me! Great job! clap.gifclap.gif

Dogwood, great comments on the reflector use. I appreciate seeing your detailed eye's critique. This is exactly the type of feedback I appreciate in my own photos!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    She's stunning! #s 6 & 7 are fantastic! thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 30, 2010
    Thanks for the great feedback, folks. I threw in a lot of shots specifically to see what folks liked and didn't, and you guys came through like troopers.

Dogwood, ya know, I read all these books, then usually forget a tip or two when I actually get out there. You're right that my flash and reflector use should have been higher in retrospect. Doh! Bad equipment choice was partly to blame (see explanation to Kidzmom below.) 10 and 11 are better because I used a VAL from above her head for one of the lights. Live and learn, and you're comments are much appreciated.

Kidzmom, thanks for the kind words and critical feedback as well. Shots are a combination of bare flash(es) in some, foamy flash diffuser, reflector and sun-diffuser, all mixed and matched where appropriate. Funny you don't like the wide-angle long-legs shot, as that was my wife's favorite. Everybody has different tastes.

Lighting choices were dictated in some cases to the fact that this a major tourist spot on spring break weekend, in the middle of the day! You'd never know we were fighting crowds all over the place, huh? Also, I elected to use a small cheap tripod as a light stand in an effort to keep things light and mobile, rather than using an actual lightstand (of which I have several.) Bad move because it limited the usable height of my light. I won't make that mistake again.

Darren, thanks for the kind words. For some reason, guys seem to like those two shots, and women don't. Go figure! :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I like 3 and 11 a lot.
    Very pretty girl, looks like a fun shoot. Harsh shadows on several of the shots are distracting. Sometimes shadows work if they are placed properly.
    Middle of the day is always tough.