choice of graphics adapters

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited March 30, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Time for a new computer, and because of a special deal with my employer, I am limited to two choices for graphics adapters:
--- ATI 256MD Radeon HD 3450
--- NVIDIA 512MB quadro NVS 420 (an extra $375)

I don't do video, so all I am concerned with is sufficient quality and speed for still image editing. Anyone have advice about either of these? I have a cheaper NVIDIA in my current computer that has been fine, but I'll go for the default ATI if there is no reason not to.

Thanks

Comments

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    For still image editing I don't think you'll see much difference. Photoshop (latest version) does take advantage of the GPU on the graphics card for some calculations, but even the cheaper card would be great for graphics stuff. Besides, you could spend that $375 in other ways that may be more beneficial (more RAM, fast scratch disk, extra storage, additional software, money towards new lens..)
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    CSwinton wrote:
    For still image editing I don't think you'll see much difference. Photoshop (latest version) does take advantage of the GPU on the graphics card for some calculations, but even the cheaper card would be great for graphics stuff. Besides, you could spend that $375 in other ways that may be more beneficial (more RAM, fast scratch disk, extra storage, additional software, money towards new lens..)

Many thanks. very helpful