Options

Do you ever garuntee a set number of pics taken?

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited March 30, 2010 in Weddings
Do you ever put in your contract a set number of pictures that will be taken on a wedding day?

How about do you garuntee a set number of proofs?

My partner wants to garuntee over a 1000 photos will be taken and that we would deliver 400 processed images in hand and on a dvd.

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I don't give guarantees. I tell them that while I might take a lot, what they get and see in the proofs most likely will be a lot less than what I actually take. That is also stated in the contract too.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I still guarantee 100 images......that was my guarantee in the film days and I still shoot just like I did in the film days (for weddings and portraits)......and when asked how many I took I just say a lot...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I look at the average number of photos I deliver, divide by two, and then tell my clients they will get that many. Once they receive their proofs they are excited to see more.
  • Options
    astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    With a sample size of 1, soon to be 2, I've decided not to guarantee anything. I told the couple the first time that I would likely deliver to them a few hundred photographs as proofs, but I couldn't give them a number. 2100 photographs were taken and 530 were given as proofs (it was a loooooooong ceremony).

I plan on telling the couple on Thursday the same thing - I will likely take several hundred photographs, many being duplicates of the exact same thing, and deliver to them at least 100 as proofs.

I think you'll get yourself into trouble at some point if you guarantee numbers, especially a number as high as 1000 and 400. If you want to guarantee something, tell them something less and plan on over-delivering. Same thing with when I have in my contract I'll get them the proofs - I say 3 months max, I expect 1-2 months.

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I tell them typically I deliver 500-800 photos based on photo opportunity during the day, no guarantee. I have delivered as low as 400 and as high as 1200.
    I don't do proofs, I process all photos fully.

If you guarantee numbers it adds a lot of pressure to you and puts the emphasis for the customer on quantity not quality.

The customer just wants to know you are going to deliver a reasonable number of pictures, I have heard horror stories of people getting as few as 30 photos from their wedding.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I look at the average number of photos I deliver, divide by two, and then tell my clients they will get that many. Once they receive their proofs they are excited to see more.

That sounds about right ... they always get more than what I promise, but in the very worst case I'm pretty sure I can come up with that amount of images ... thumb.gif
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Yeah, no guarantees. That being said, if it is a normal wedding day and you have two shooters (assuming your partner shoots) you better come up with 400 deliverable pics! I have a hard time staying under 600 solo and 900 with a 2nd and just recently took the 4x6 prints out of my package because it was killing me! it is so hard for me to take pictures out that someone may want to see. I'm working on that though!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Robert.MetzelRobert.Metzel Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2010
    We state 150 proofs in our contract but usual deliver around 350. Basic coverage begins at 9 hours so even being very selective and thinking about each shot we still come up with quite a few.