Connecticut Woods

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited June 20, 2004 in Wildlife
I took this shot of my grandsons walking down a road in the woods. I cropped out a lot of distracting foreground (too bright from snow on ground) and increased the contrast. I used some dodge and burn on the tree trunks too. The picture had so little color that I changed the jacket from blue to red for a little oomph. Is this a good idea? I wanted to make the leaves more red, but not the trees(I think the grey makes it look cold). Couldn't figure out how to do it. Any ideas.
5315629-L.jpg

This is the shot I was taking before I turned around and spotted the boys walking down the road arm-in-arm. I like the red of the leaves here. I think I like the pic with the boys better, but then it's just different. People give more feeling to a picture, I think. Any observations?

5315626-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I took this shot of my grandsons walking down a road in the woods. I cropped out a lot of distracting foreground (too bright from snow on ground) and increased the contrast. I used some dodge and burn on the tree trunks too. The picture had so little color that I changed the jacket from blue to red for a little oomph. Is this a good idea? I wanted to make the leaves more red, but not the trees(I think the grey makes it look cold). Couldn't figure out how to do it. Any ideas.

This is the shot I was taking before I turned around and spotted the boys walking down the road arm-in-arm. I like the red of the leaves here. I think I like the pic with the boys better, but then it's just different. People give more feeling to a picture, I think. Any observations?
    Hi snapple, I didn't even see these... missed em some how.. I love the first one of the children walking down the road... great shot..
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Ok, for starters, I know nothing, and I am here to learn.
    With that in mind, I like the second picture. The pic of the boys is nice, but I love the colors and the framing of the second. Good detail in the dark , not washed out in the light, and great red leaves, and the ice is great.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Hello!! I'm so glad there is someone out there...
    Thanks for looking and commenting. In the picture with the boys, I tried to add some red to the leaves. I can't seem to select just some areas on the ground without making it look patchy. Can I use a layer mask here maybe? I really think some color would help. Andy are you out there?
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I likr this but it needs something. Not more color. It needs size. If this shot of the boys was a 60" by 42" mural it would knock the viewer's socks off. JMHO
    A slight rotation CW... maybe.... This is a good shot but it doesn't grab me. Probably others will have a better insight.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    I like both pictures. I've looked at both and if I were to do anything it would be mostly to the first photo.

I looked at the colour of the leaves of the secound photo and the colour in the first. The red in the first photo certainly isn't as vibrant as the second. So I boosted the red using a Selective Color Adjustment Layer and a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer (also applied a layer mask so that the boys' coats wouldn't increase in saturation). I've probably exagerated the saturation, but it shows you that you can get some pop to the colours.

I also imagined this photo with a bit of depth of field that might come from a telephoto. I did a very quick representation of what a blur might look like but didn't take any great care on my selection, particularily around the boys. The blur transition needs to look gradual and continuous.

5185105-L.jpg

The second photo I just tried increasing the saturation slightly,as well as brightening the foreground area. It turns out there was a fair bit of detail and colour there.

5185104-L.jpg

I'm not sure if these photos are better or not. Simply food for thought.

Brad.
    edited June 15, 2004
    I don't understand...
    "A slight rotation CW... maybe.... This is a good shot but it doesn't grab me. Probably others will have a better insight."[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what you mean by " A slight rotation - CW?" Is it the framing?

Re size on the other shot --I can blow it up, but not on this site, he he. headscratch.gif
    edited June 15, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    cmr164 wrote:
    "A slight rotation CW... maybe.... This is a good shot but it doesn't grab me. Probably others will have a better insight."
    I don't understand what you mean by " A slight rotation - CW?" Is it the framing?

Re size on the other shot --I can blow it up, but not on this site, he he. headscratch.gif
    Your original
    5185104-L.jpg

And with a 2 degree clockwise rotation (CW):
    edited June 15, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    I like both pictures. I've looked at both and if I were to do anything it would be mostly to the first photo.

I looked at the colour of the leaves of the secound photo and the colour in the first. The red in the first photo certainly isn't as vibrant as the second. So I boosted the red using a Selective Color Adjustment Layer and a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer (also applied a layer mask so that the boys' coats wouldn't increase in saturation). I've probably exagerated the saturation, but it shows you that you can get some pop to the colours.

I also imagined this photo with a bit of depth of field that might come from a telephoto. I did a very quick representation of what a blur might look like but didn't take any great care on my selection, particularily around the boys. The blur transition needs to look gradual and continuous.

5185105-L.jpg

The second photo I just tried increasing the saturation slightly,as well as brightening the foreground area. It turns out there was a fair bit of detail and colour there.

5185104-L.jpg

I'm not sure if these photos are better or not. Simply food for thought.

Brad.

Oooh, I like the depth of field idea. I also like the color added to the first pic. I'm going to have to try doing that. I'm not very good at that. I'll give it a try and get backk to you.
    I like the slight brightening of the foreground in pic #2.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Snappy
    edited June 15, 2004
    And with a 2 degree clockwise rotation (CW):[/QUOTE]

2 degree rotation??? Sorry I don't see it. headscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    And with a 2 degree clockwise rotation (CW):

2 degree rotation??? Sorry I don't see it. headscratch.gif[/QUOTE]

pick one of the trees center rear of the scene. use that as as you perpendicular reference. now, in photoshop, put gridlines on, select all, and edit>free transform, rotating the pic a bit to the right... you'll see mwink.gif
    edited June 16, 2004
    andy wrote:
    2 degree rotation??? Sorry I don't see it. headscratch.gif

pick one of the trees center rear of the scene. use that as as you perpendicular reference. now, in photoshop, put gridlines on, select all, and edit>free transform, rotating the pic a bit to the right... you'll see mwink.gif[/QUOTE]

Ahh! I see. The far shore of the lake is not LEVEL. The trees are not perpendicular. Yes, it needs straightening, absolutely. Thanks.
    Snappy bowdown.gif
    edited June 16, 2004
    Thanks Andy
  • moonjuicemoonjuice Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Oooh, I like the depth of field idea. I also like the color added to the first pic. I'm going to have to try doing that. I'm not very good at that. I'll give it a try and get backk to you.
    I like the slight brightening of the foreground in pic #2.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Snappy
    I like the original picture of the boys that you posted (without the depth of field - no offense to the person who tried adding it :). It's my favorite of the two. But then again I have a tendency to like things slightly unorthodox where photography is concerned.
    edited June 17, 2004
    Thanks Moonjuice
    moonjuice wrote:
    I like the original picture of the boys that you posted (without the depth of field - no offense to the person who tried adding it :). It's my favorite of the two. But then again I have a tendency to like things slightly unorthodox where photography is concerned.

I appreciate the feedback. I liked the 1st picture the best too. The subject seemed more interesting. People walking on a road seem to draw you into the picture. Then you look longer and you see two brothers with their arms around each other. They seem so close, maybe protective of each other in a cold dark woods. It's just a picture I could look at for a long time. I am going to try the perspective and the addition of color. I always thought it needed more color. I just have not had time to work with it yet.
    edited June 17, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I appreciate the feedback. I liked the 1st picture the best too. The subject seemed more interesting. People walking on a road seem to draw you into the picture. Then you look longer and you see two brothers with their arms around each other. They seem so close, maybe protective of each other in a cold dark woods. It's just a picture I could look at for a long time. I am going to try the perspective and the addition of color. I always thought it needed more color. I just have not had time to work with it yet.
    Please stick to normal font colors. Some of us have old eyes
    edited June 17, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Please stick to normal font colors. Some of us have old eyes

I'm sorry, I just wanted to make the reply stand out from the original comment. I thought I was making it EASIER, not harder.
    edited June 18, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I'm sorry, I just wanted to make the reply stand out from the original comment. I thought I was making it EASIER, not harder.
    like I said, Old eyes sad.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Hi snaps, I really like the two kids. Very nice scene, nice story. For some reason the shots in your original post don't show up for me. headscratch.gif That's why it looks like I edited your post - I didn't, but I was trying to figure out why I couldn't see the images.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 20, 2004
    Oops!
    Sorry Wxwax, I moved some pics around on my Smugmug site after fixing these and spoiled the link. I fixed it now.
    Snappy
    edited June 20, 2004
    My fixes...
    I decided to selectively increase reds on the leaves and I blurred out the farthest section of the trees just a tiny bit. I darkened that area a bit too. I like this version better.
    5338885-L.jpg

I rotated this shot 1.5 degrees and adjusted the colors and saturation a little.
    5328617-L.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    Cool, thanks! I really do like that kid shot, it's very sweet. And cmr's adjustments bring a lovely color to the ice.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au