Red Lake

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited April 1, 2010 in Landscapes
Red Lake is about 45 minutes from home, out in the middle of nowhere. Normally dry, but it had water in it a few weeks ago from the recent heavy rains. I hadn't been there before, so I drove out there late yesterday afternoon to take a look. I'll be back. :D

823793790_mc2zS-XL.jpg

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Hey - this looks like the 'racetrack'! Looks like a very promising, interesting place to get photos! Is that a tower on the far left at the base of the mountain? You have a few dust bunnies on the upper right side. Way cool pic!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 30, 2010
    Thanks, Eia. Yep, it does look a whole lot like the race track, minus the racers. :D You have an unfailingly good eye. There is a powerline tower to the left, and in fact, there are more towers across the whole base of the mountain range. Yeah, I should have cloned out the dust bunnies. That's actually pretty good for my sensor which is usually very dirty.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Eia. Yep, it does look a whole lot like the race track, minus the racers. :D You have an unfailingly good eye. There is a powerline tower to the left, and in fact, there are more towers across the whole base of the mountain range. Yeah, I should have cloned out the dust bunnies. That's actually pretty good for my sensor which is usually very dirty.

Cheers,
    -joel

Just as a well worn Bible show the characteristics of the reader...so do dust bunnies on a sensor! :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Nicely done, kdog! I love this one--the lighting is very nice and the texture of the dirt is so real that I feel I can almost touch it.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Cool location Joel. Very nice that it is so close too. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Very cool Joel. Looks like Death Valley. Love the texture on the ground. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Very cool, Joel! thumb.gif

Looks very Racetrack-ish, minus the racing rocks.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited March 31, 2010
    Eia wrote:
    Just as a well worn Bible show the characteristics of the reader...so do dust bunnies on a sensor! :D

So true. :D
    edited March 31, 2010
    Ya that's pretty good. I'm looking around this landscape forum and think I can really rock at this stuff. So far its be easy for me, I'm just now finishing my first Southwest gallery. It should be easy for me to get pictures like this one. cool, peace.
    Thanks! I look forward to seeing your shots!!

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited March 31, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Nicely done, kdog! I love this one--the lighting is very nice and the texture of the dirt is so real that I feel I can almost touch it.

Thanks, Lauren! One can't go wrong with such an interesting playa. Needless to say I'm thrilled to have discovered this one so close to home. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Beautiful photo kdog!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited March 31, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Cool location Joel. Very nice that it is so close too. deal.gif

Yep. Looking forward to doing some more shooting there. You're of course welcome to join me any time.
    edited March 31, 2010
    shniks wrote:
    Very cool Joel. Looks like Death Valley. Love the texture on the ground. thumb.gif

Cheers,

Thanks, Nikhil. One can't go wrong with such interesting terrain. Just wait a few weeks when this entire field will be full of bright yellow poppies. Ha, in my dreams! rolleyes1.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Wow I love the cracked earth and the clear blue sky. You sure as heck better go back and get more shots, Joel! :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Cool shot Joel. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Yes. it looks like the racetrack that I never got to see. When I learned what it would take to navigate to the racetrack I decided not to even try, although they were renting Rubicons at Furnace Creek.
    edited April 1, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Very cool, Joel! thumb.gif

Looks very Racetrack-ish, minus the racing rocks.
    Thanks, Chris. I'm thinking of bringing a few with me next time I go. naughty.gif
    edited April 1, 2010
    ront wrote:
    Beautiful photo kdog!

Ron

Thank you, sir! :D
    edited April 1, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow I love the cracked earth and the clear blue sky. You sure as heck better go back and get more shots, Joel! :D

Thanks, Schmoo!!! Ok, I was on the fence, but for you, I'm there. bowdown.gif:D
    edited April 1, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Cool shot Joel. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Yes. it looks like the racetrack that I never got to see. When I learned what it would take to navigate to the racetrack I decided not to even try, although they were renting Rubicons at Furnace Creek.

Thanks, Dan! Renting Rubicons at Furnace Creek? eek7.gif Wonder what those are for. One certainly doesn't need a Rubicon for the Racetrack. 4x4 isn't necessary, but high clearance can be useful. Reinforced tires are probably the most important thing. Those rocks in the road can puncture a tire.

Red Lake doesn't have that problem. It's right off the main road. Plus, unlike the Racetrack, you can drive right onto the playa. Although, honestly, I'd prefer if they kept the traffic off to keep it from getting tracked up.