The Elusive Ellensburg Blue

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited April 1, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Ellensburg Blue is argued as the third most precious gem. It is an agate that is found only in the lower Kittitas County of Washington State, and Israel. Though there are a couple popular picking sites near Ellensburg, rejuvinated annually from the cold/warm climate change and churning of the hill tops, you really need to know a local who is willing to lead you to their special site. That usually takes a lot of local beer, and time to listen to local tales. But it's worth it, in all ways...I was led to these specimans on a hill top near Thorp. I'd tell you where but then I'd have to....well, you know. Unless you bought enough beer to get it out of me...

823816273_eHtSV-L.jpg

823816310_ntcjg-L.jpg
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    That's very interesting. I've never heard of this, but I will look it up because I'm a curious critter.

I would assume the color here is pretty close to actual?
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Roadkill wrote:
    That's very interesting. I've never heard of this, but I will look it up because I'm a curious critter.

I would assume the color here is pretty close to actual?

Spot on, according to my monitor. Many web sites dedicated to this agate.
    Growing with Dgrin

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Hi Leaforte......I have worn a blue agate ring for about 50 years.......I wounder if there is a way to find out if that is where it came from......?? Thanks for sharing that.......thumb.gifazzaro
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    nice
    Nice agates. I'd like to see them without the strong reflections and shadows.

Not to be too presumptuous, but if you'd like to see some really awesome agate pictures:

http://www.mindat.org/article.php/885/Agates+-+hidden+beauty

It looks like there is a lot of detail in your concentrically zone agate that you could bring out, and the more homogeneous agate might be really special if you got a fresh surface on it.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    kolibri wrote:
    Nice agates. I'd like to see them without the strong reflections and shadows.

Not to be too presumptuous, but if you'd like to see some really awesome agate pictures:

http://www.mindat.org/article.php/885/Agates+-+hidden+beauty

It looks like there is a lot of detail in your concentrically zone agate that you could bring out, and the more homogeneous agate might be really special if you got a fresh surface on it.

Don't make me pull out the special agates they call opal! I just hunt, hunt, shoot, and never kill!

Thank you for the knowledgeable look.
    Growing with Dgrin

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Name your beer -- I'll bring plenty for you :D

Beautiful -- never seen one of these before.