How Would You Set Your Wedding Photo Prices for ... Your Boss?

astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited April 12, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
[Sorry if you've seen this thread on some other forums ... I'm cross-posting to try to maximize feedback.]

Anyway, I'm a grad student, 5th year, been working with my advisor since 2007. I'm in astronomy -- photography is "just" a hobby, albeit an expensive one. He knows I've shot one wedding on my own and has seen the photos. He also knows I did that one for free. He's getting married this Sept. and he asked me around October last year - just after I got back and was swearing I would never do another wedding for free - if I would shoot his. I told him yes, but that I would charge him.

Fast-forward to now, and I'm meeting with him and the bride-to-be on Thursday afternoon to go over a contract (which I've already e-mailed them), discuss what coverage they want, get the important names, dates, places, etc. And figure out a price.

My question is, should the fact that I have relatively little experience (which he KNOWS, as I have asked him and the fiancé four times to make sure they're okay with going with me) AND ESPECIALLY that he's effectively my boss have any bearing on what I charge him?

I'm going to extend my psychic powers and guess that the answer will be "no" for the latter part, but then the question moves to, what do I offer him as a wedding present? One thing I was considering doing is that many, many people said my pricing structure needed to be ratcheted up by at least a factor of 2, so that the "Basic" package of just covering 2 hrs of ceremony plus formals starts at $600. So I thought I could do that, but then knock off 25% or 50% and say that's the present.

Another option I was thinking about is to double the prices based on what folks said in my original thread, including beefing up the prices on prints, but then offer them something like $200 in print credit (effectively $20-40 in cost to me). That has the benefit of not having to collect more money 6 months after the event and them not thinking as much about me jacking up my print prices since he knows where I get them printed. But then if they want "digital negatives" (which I currently have priced at $250 for a disk with 'em), then they likely wouldn't order prints so then it may seem like I'm short-changing 'em in that department.

So ... what do y'all think? I guess in effect, there are three questions here:

1 - Should my lack of experience and/or the fact the guy's my boss have any effect on my prices?

2 - What's a reasonable wedding present here? Discount on the overall package? Print credit? Digital negatives credit?

3 - Is $250 for full-resolution JPGs (the "digital negatives") a reasonable price these days? I've looked around and prices I've seen are all over the place. Speaking of which, here are my prices ... the ones I've been told need to be doubled. Do you agree?

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II

Comments

• jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I have shot 2 wedding myself and the results have been ok but really and truly I would not want to shoot my second wedding for my boss. If something goes wrong and Murphy is always just around the corner (Especially with the limited experience that you have). He is going to think of you as the guy who messed up his wedding photos. I dont know about you but I dont want my boss thinking that about me....
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    You start off by saying he is your adviser. I take that to mean your dissertation advisor and that would have more bearing on what I would decide to do rather than the fact that you also work for him........if he were just your boss then he could fire you.......so what........but as your dissertation adviser he can pretty much ruin your life.........I have actually seen it done and the degree candidate lost his student visa and was deported back to India............

give him a price that you really feel is fair.......having not seen your previous weddings.......but I am thinking they must be very good or he would not have approached you to start with..........
    So hit him with a fair price ($2500 or so) and then knock off $500 for him being your adviser............do not talk about being new at this......be a professional.......it doesnot matter if it is only a hobby.......if your gonna take money for doing a photo job, then do not take less than any other pro in your area........if you do it only devalues the other pros worth in the future.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    To clarify, yes, dissertation advisor. Very laid-back and easy-going guy.

Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    edited March 31, 2010
    I met with the guy this morning since we were talking about a paper on volcanism on Mars that we're writing. I wanted to "feel out" what kind of coverage they want. The wedding is at 10AM, reception at 11AM. He said not full reception coverage, but from what he described, it would be full coverage. He said no stuff getting ready, though I'm guessing the bride will say differently. I think it'll be an 8 hr day or so (8AM-2PM). That would put him at my "Intermediate Level 2" package, 7 hrs coverage, $50 print credit, for $700.

I'm thinking I'll ~double that to $1500. Charge him that, which is still less than he'd get from anyone else I think in the area, and then as the wedding present give him an extra $200 print credit that can be applied to purchasing the digital negatives with reprint rights.

• ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    I was going to say double or triple the local rate so he wouldn't hire you and you wouldn't have to worry about messing up that relationship...
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    edited March 31, 2010
    Well, for what it's worth, I did already agree to do this. So, that's not not going to happen.

• rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Keep in mind, I have never shot a wedding before, so I may not be the most experienced person to be answering this, but here's my two cents.

Charge him a flat rate of $1200, and tell them they can have as much coverage as they want. ie. getting ready, ceremony, reception, etc. etc. etc. That way you're getting a pretty fair payment, especially considering your experience level in the field, and they feel they're getting a great deal because they get full day coverage.

Then, as your wedding present, give them a blurb book of the whole event (give them a little note or something on wedding day telling them about this). Odds are, if they like the book, they may end up buying a few extra copies for family.

Hope this helps!
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Pricing structure for weddings is hard to discuss here. It's a matter of a few issues. 1) what do you feel your time is worth? 2) What does it cost you to do the work and provide the client with finished products? 3) What are your overhead costs? 4) What does the market in your area support?

Once you know the answers to all these questions, you can set your pricing. This is a very big issue when it comes to weddings. If you price yourself very low, you will not get any business because people will wonder what's wrong with your work. If you price yourself too high however, you will also price yourself out of work because people will go with a less expensive photographer.

As for what to charge your "boss"? I don't feel that the fact he's your boss has anything to do with your business. You could offer him a discount because you want to, but don't feel you HAVE to. You are a business man, and this is your livelyhood. Let's say you owned an electronic store and this man came into your store to buy a $4,000.00 TV, would you just give it to him for free? No, you have expenses to pay, you can't afford to do that. Photography is the same way. I'd take Art's advise and give him a $500.00 discount, but don't give away the farm just because he's your boss.

Gifts, are a different story. Why do you feel you need to buy him a gift? Were you invited to the wedding?(no that's not a stupid question) You were hired as the photographer for this wedding. That being said, you are NOT a guest, you are a hired pro. I've photographed many weddings in the last couple years, and not one single time have I given the bride and groom a wedding gift.

Just my two cents though.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Why wouldn't you charge him exactly the same as you'd charge anyone else?

If you were a pro, that would go without saying…

If you were an amateur, then your best advice in order to keep the relationship sweet, might be to persuade him to hire a pro…

ne_nau.gif

- Wil

BTW - if you decide to go ahead, then draw up a contract which specifies exactly what services you will provide, and exactly how much and what your client is paying for.
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    How Would You Set Your Wedding Photo Prices for ... Your Boss?
    Don't do it. Period. End of story.
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I agree, this is very dangerous. I am also in graduate school and I know how much power he has. You don't want any sort of wrinkle here. I agree the best option is to back away slowly, but if you can't ...

If it were me I would offer to do the wedding for free and suggest strongly that he should also hire you an "assistant" for $700 and find yourself someone qualified and experienced to help you prevent disaster. It is really easy to make the case for a second photographer (video, better coverage, etc) since it sounds like he is currently planning to pay you. The money is not important, your whole scientific career could be in the drain after one day.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.