Looking for C&C, I'm so new at this...

TayTay Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 11, 2010 in People
I've had my camera since December, and I think I'm finally to the point where I actually understand what I'm doing. Now I just have to work on mastering it :D easier said than done, of course.

These are some shots I took over the weekend while on vacation in San Diego, I'd love all the input I can get! I feel these are the best photos I've ever taken, so far. I can see that I'm getting better (which is so exciting), but I know I've still got a lot to learn.

These first two are of my handsome man :D

1. 4478166666_cc0677c04e_b.jpg

2. 4478170502_8538396b2e_b.jpg

This one I did the best I could with, the sun was beating down on us and I used a flash to fill in the awful shadows on his face... you can still see the darkness around his eyes, unfortunately.
3. 4477544071_0d61022cc7_b.jpg

This one came out a bit blurry :/ but it's the best shot I got of the three brothers together.
4. 4478168746_9414c3b96f_b.jpg

The whole family; Mom, Dad, and all 4 siblings (and one sibling in law :D)
5. 4478169618_93ffd87ded_b.jpg

Comments

• snap-a-headsnap-a-head Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    I'm loving the last pic... especially with the cheeky bunny ears... very nice
    "Fear is a darkroom where negatives develop"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snap-a-head/
  • TayTay Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Thank you! I got several shots like that with them silhouetted against the beach, most of them are normal but in this particular one I caught the brother giving his little sister bunny ears :) made it my favorite shot of the set by far.
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Hi Tay ~ the first thing that pops out at me is that the first three shots (maybe not #2 as much) be cropped in a little too tight from the shoulders up, at least to me, but I would try cropping in tighter on them to see if that improves the composition. The third one probably won't work cropped. Also, if you have a photo editing program, I'd suggest a little editing to refine them a bit.

Keep shooting! It's the best way to learn! :)
    Kristen
    edited April 1, 2010
    I will try the tighter crop as soon as I get home! Thanks for the suggestions :)

I have lightroom, but I only barely know how to use it. Most of it is just fiddling around with the buttons until something looks cool... which is working so far, but only just :D so, if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by 'refining' them with editing software? What sort of tools would you use or steps would you take?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Tay, I just did this in 3-4 minutes in PS, but you can do most of this is LR (except the sharpening) on #3. The halos around the guys are bad since I didn't do any good masking, but this is more concept than final product... You can bump the exposure on them (and leave the sky as-is) using the adjustment brush, and fix the color cast using the WB sliders. They look a bit green-ish in this take, but you get the idea. I used an unsharp mask in CS4 by converting to LAB and just sharpening the L channel to keep as much of the color data unmolested.
    brothers.jpg
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ki_userki_user Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Find the background a bit distracting on the 1st 3, especially #3, it's fighting my eyes attention, great pics all the same. Loving the silhouette.

Prefer the original to the edit, sorry but IMHO that edit is awefull.
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    I use Photoshop Elements, so you've probably got more features available to you in Lightroom. I use a PS Elements book by Scott Kelby to experiment with editing features. If you have a book, I think it's a great way to practice and learn the tools that are available to you. Once you get the hang of some of the tools, you'll get a feel for what simple changes work for you and your photos.

Just by doing a quick search, I found a tutorial on Digital Photography School. While this may not be your style, you can probably learn some things (what you like and don't like) by trying out some tutorials.

http://digital-photography-school.com/the-dave-hill-look-in-lightroom

I usually open the files in Camera RAW and adjust lighting and contrast if necessary. Then I open in PSE, sharpen, and adjust levels. Adjusting the levels, at least for me, helps brighten up the faces in photos, just a tad, so that it stands out a little more against the background. You have to be careful, though, because it's easy to get carried away. :)
    Kristen
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    The last two made me smile. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

edited April 1, 2010
    Would have gone for something a bit simpler as an edit on that one.

4478168746_9414c3b96f_b.jpg
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    ki_user, no disagreement that the edit wasn't good.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Oh, and, Welcome....sorry.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited April 11, 2010
    ^ thank you :)

I wanted to keep the blue in the photo, it was just past sunset when I took it and the sky was so rich, I loved it. I'm going to play around with it a little more, I'm going to have to find a tutorial on how to just edit certain parts (such as the faces) of a photo rather than the whole thing...

Thank you for all your feedback! It really, really helps :)
    edited April 11, 2010
    Tay wrote:
    ^ thank you :)

I wanted to keep the blue in the photo, it was just past sunset when I took it and the sky was so rich, I loved it. I'm going to play around with it a little more, I'm going to have to find a tutorial on how to just edit certain parts (such as the faces) of a photo rather than the whole thing...

Thank you for all your feedback! It really, really helps :)

Had a play, It's quite tricky because the whole picture has a blue cast.

aaaa.jpg