Options

Saving to sRGB

Rather27Rather27 Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited March 31, 2010 in Finishing School
what's the easiest way to save a JPEG file as sRGB in CS4? I was viewing files in sRGB to upload, but realized the saved JPEG Files were RGB..... I think I missed a step here?:scratch

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    The easiest way to do one photo is to do a File/Save for Web and select JPEG and "Convert to sRGB."
    The easiest way to do a whole bunch is to do File/Scripts/Image Processor and select "Convert Profile to sRGB."
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    The easiest way to do one photo is to do a File/Save for Web and select JPEG and "Convert to sRGB."
    The easiest way to do a whole bunch is to do File/Scripts/Image Processor and select "Convert Profile to sRGB."

Im viewing images in sRGB on the proof setup option in CS4, but when I Edit>Assign Profile>and select sRGB i get a color shift that looks lighter and washed out.... the original is Adobe RGB, but like I said, I've been proof viewing in sRGB to get what I like, but switching causes problems....

If I "save for web" CS4 tells me the file (60M) is too big and will cause errors??headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    "Assign" is only correct if the image is already sRGB and simply missing the profile. If the image is not already sRGB, then the correct action is "Convert" to sRGB which is how the options I mentioned are worded.

Save for Web is intended for small display on web pages so it will not like large images, although you can use the Image Size section in Save for Web to scale down an image to fit a web page (e.g. 800 pixels). If you are going to Smugmug, it's probably better to leave the image at original size and instead manually Convert to Profile (to sRGB) and not use Save for Web, instead Save As to JPEG, so that you upload an original size to Smugmug and let Smugmug generate the smaller sizes.

If you picked JPEG and the file size is very large, like 10MB or more, you probably have compression quality set too high. In Save As (JPEG) you probably want no higher than compression level 10. I think this is in the Smugmug help file somewhere.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 31, 2010
    In CS4, or CS3

Edit -> Convert to Profile -> dialogue box with Source space and Destination space - you want sRGB IE61966-2.1 as the Destination space, with Conversion Option Adobe (ACE) -- Hit OK

Then:

File -> Save As -> dialogue box select jpg and click on Embed Color profile - sRGB IE1966-2.1 Hit the Save button

That's how I do it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    "Assign" is only correct if the image is already sRGB and simply missing the profile. If the image is not already sRGB, then the correct action is "Convert" to sRGB which is how the options I mentioned are worded.

Got it!clap.gif Great!....Now...., I have a few photos which I saved as JPEGs thinking they were in sRGB, but they're in RGB. If I go back in CS4 and "Convert Profile" to sRGB and save again will I be hurting the file in anyway?

Thanks a Ton!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Rather27 wrote:
    If I go back in CS4 and "Convert Profile" to sRGB and save again will I be hurting the file in anyway?

Not if you go back to the original image and convert a copy to sRGB.
    You might hurt the file if you start from the already exported final JPEG, convert that, and export again.

Still, in either case, if you get the right colors in the end, it outweighs any "hurting" of the file.