Little White Church - Cheapside TX

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited April 3, 2010 in Landscapes
I'd seen this church in photographs but never knew where it was. I found someone who had posted its location, so I headed out early last Sat morning. The red phlox were not as pretty as they were a week or two earlier, but they still made for a nice setting.

I really tried to work on my compositions during this outing, so your C&C is appreciated. Note: I removed the power pole from some of the shots but not #4.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. 824393197_R8t3K-L.jpg

824425062_aoTwM-L.jpg

3. 3-exposure HDR
824442879_VYknL-L.jpg

4. 3-exposure HDR
824421889_fJCFU-L.jpg

824426131_ZzY6c-L.jpg

6. Perspective
824577667_9ctDU-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    I really like 1 and 3. The perspective in 3 is awesome. Nice comp in #1 clap.gif
  • RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    All very good. I specially like #2clap.gif
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Thanks! With #2 I was going for a very simple and clean composition.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    I love #3 and 4 the best. They really fill the frame with what my eyes really want to see. The flowers look gorgeous there and I'm glad you found your mysterious location! thumb.gif
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    I love #3 and 4 the best. They really fill the frame with what my eyes really want to see. The flowers look gorgeous there and I'm glad you found your mysterious location! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif couldn't have said it better myself
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
    edited April 1, 2010
    Thanks, Schmoo! and rg!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Love the colors (I think this is why I roam the landscapes forum most rolleyes1.gif). Here's my $0.02, ready? Go!

On #3, the composition is great but one should watch out for lens distortion thats most apparent on the right hand side of the building, you can fix this by simply using a longer focal length and stepping back some in order to cover the same frame.

On #1, I would crop out the sky as well as a portion of the left hand side to have a closer frame towards the right, using the grass as weight, by doing so, the eye will follow the road towards the church and your image will flow much more nicely.

#2 I like the way you enjoy framing the object of purpose towards one side or the other, I do it all the time. mwink.gif However, by cropping closer and removing a piece of the sky and the left portion of the frame, you can have a 2/3 or 3/4 frame with the church as your subject and it will be a much stronger composition.

On #4, I like this because it is the opposite of the images before, you put weight on the grass and less on the sky. I'd crop this closer again, remove the left hand side and a portion of the sky again to show more impact on the grass.

I love the DOF on #5, making the church taper off in the distance. However, it would be nice to have composed this image by showing more of the church and using it as a clear background, this can be done by increasing your altitude and side-stepping a bit to your left (from that POV).

#6, I love yellow. That is all on this one.

I really enjoy your DOF control, you must have had to picture this prior to taking each image, kudos. I must emphasize however on cropping closer. It is however a good idea to not crop too close because its better to be able to crop after than not; to remedy this problem from occurring, I usually shoot the way I want the image to be cropped and then step back, bringing home at least 2 shots of the same frame.

I hope this helps. Thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to more from you!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    #5 does it for me. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Hi Lauren,

I think these shots, taken as a whole, are testimony to your growing skills. #'s 2, 3 and 4 are my favorites.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Nicely done on all of them. My favourites (to break with the trend) are 5 & 6. I like the emphasis on the colourful flowers with the church a mere suggestion in #5 and relying on the windows in #6 to tell the viewer what it is.

Leave it to me to want to be different ne_nau.gif

We don't have flowers yet - but I did see some green grass starting up in a hayfield when Hoover and i were out walking this morning.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    My favorites are #3 & #6. #3 because of the vibrant colors, the HDR doesn't look overdone it just really makes those colors pop. #6 because I love close-up flower shots with the blurred background and I think its neat that you can tell its a church because of the window's shape. Good job!!

Stephanie
    edited April 2, 2010
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. For those of you who don't have spring weather yet, I'll post some more shots from this morning's outing later today. Had to cut my outing short due to rain and church, but I think I got a couple nice shots.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Beautiful set Lauren. You did well clap.gif

I agree about cropping out part of the sky on #1

Dan
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Very beautiful set of photos !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited April 2, 2010
    Is this better for #1? I liked the big sky in my original, but I see that it does make the church look awfully small. Maybe this pano crop works a little better--or should it be narrower still?

826076228_dGL5j-L.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • grosdagrosda Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    RE: Little White Church
    I like the subject, and combination of foreground colors in the flowers and blue sky backgrounds. One reaction to the composition of #1: I don't know if the lighting would have allowed, but I would love to see what the image would have been if you had moved camera right and made the road be more of a diagonal across the frame.
    Dale G

- My Gallery
    - My Blog