edited April 4, 2010 in Street and Documentary
60951558_horTZ-L.jpg

75719875_Fb3Mx-L.jpg

54261015_6Jbv9-L.jpg
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 1, 2010
    Fair Fish Co. ? Where is the Good Fish Co.? I always wanted to start a company called Barely Adequate Consulting, but for some reason I couldn't get funding. lol3.gif

Nice set. I like the motion in #1 and the color in #3. thumb.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    I like #1 a lot, especially the movement of the man in the foreground while the others in the background are chatting it up and one is still. It conveys that feeling of who is working and who is not. mwink.gif I find my gaze going to the man on the far left of the frame, away from the central figures. I might crop him out.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Justiceiro wrote:

Number 3 is a very nice image of someone doing fish prep = nice work. The others? To be blunt, they simply strike me as black and white in low light, rather than images of anything. But three really shows us something. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    What I like is the location. I bet there are a million shots to be found there and you have to get up early before the place closes mid-morning. I would love to see more from the place. Of the current set #1 would be my preference, but it feels like a rushed shot.
  • sdnydudesdnydude Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    I really Like the shot of the cutter and the fish. It really shows what used to happen at the Fulton Fish Market downtown, and what continues at Hunts Point in the Bronx. Were these shots taken Downtown before they moved or up in the Bronx? I am wondering since I hae not been to the new location, but if the shots are from up there, it night be worth the trip.

All the best
    Stephen
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    Unfortunately, the shots are from the last weekend that the market was operating on Fulton street. I haven't been up to Hunt's point yet, but the next time I visit New York I am planning to visit.

Currently I'm in London, and I have to say, the markets here are great. I think New York made a mistake moving it outside the city.
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Number 3 is a very nice image of someone doing fish prep = nice work. The others? To be blunt, they simply strike me as black and white in low light, rather than images of anything. But three really shows us something. clap.gifclap.gif

I tend to agree- although I find that reactions to the first two are more positive than the third amongst the general public, I myself dig the last one the most. I took a lot of "uninteresting" shots of the market because I knew it was closing, and I figure that in 20 years or so these will be a lot more interesting than they are now.