A bunch from last Saturday

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited April 3, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I feel like I've been in a lull lately and am not happy with most of the images I bring back from shoots. Like a basketball shooting guard going through a drought, I know the solution is to keep pulling the trigger, but still :)

1. the big white mansion
p419888098-4.jpg

2. ISO 2000
p17944952-4.jpg

3. futuristic hallways in the old mansion
p1051225801-4.jpg

4. what used to be a stylish kitchen
p677233055-4.jpg

5. someone dropped the ball...
p700425457-4.jpg

6. yet another barney
p866239684-4.jpg

7. and a furious selfie for good measure
p294025495-4.jpg

Thanks for looking.
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    For someone who thinks he's in a lull you sure did a great job thumb.gif

Your first photo..I can almost hear the noise's of the past when I look at it. Then I look at it and can hear the howling haunting noise of the wind through an empty home.

I can find something I like in each photo. Pushing to an ISO of 2000 -- great on your part -- scary on my end :D There is no way I could shoot at that and get a photo like you did.

#3 -- This one made me chuckle....a good way of presenting it. I like different.

The barn photo...the boards had to of fallen outwards, but where did they go? Makes a person wonder.

And your last photo -- that could give me nightmares rolleyes1.gif

Looks like you found yourself a cool place. Someday I'd love to explore like that and come back with many photos.

Yep...our photos make me think. That's what I love about your work thumb.gif
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Yup lull is over... #1 is cool and I really like #7... :D
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    For someone who thinks he's in a lull you sure did a great job thumb.gif
    Thanks, Mary. My lull comment had to do mostly with the kind of amazing photo opportunities I've been facing lately and the not-necessarily-so-amazing photos I've been able to come out with. I don't hate these by any means, but I should've been able to do better.
    Dogdots wrote:
    Your first photo..I can almost hear the noise's of the past when I look at it. Then I look at it and can hear the howling haunting noise of the wind through an empty home.
    That house was just so haunting... It was fun just to look at it. It wasn't so great on the inside though, as some smart guy had stolen the wall boards and left the main floor looking like a big mess. The top floor was where it was at.
    Dogdots wrote:
    I can find something I like in each photo. Pushing to an ISO of 2000 -- great on your part -- scary on my end :D There is no way I could shoot at that and get a photo like you did.
    I didn't really have a choice. There was no room to maneuver with the tripod, so I had to shoot it handheld and the light was weak.
    Dogdots wrote:
    #3 -- This one made me chuckle....a good way of presenting it. I like different.
    I like how this one turned out as well :)

Dogdots wrote:
    The barn photo...the boards had to of fallen outwards, but where did they go? Makes a person wonder.
    I have the hunch someone stole those as well...
    Dogdots wrote:
    And your last photo -- that could give me nightmares rolleyes1.gif
    Hey, that's me you're talking about, lol!
    Dogdots wrote:
    Looks like you found yourself a cool place. Someday I'd love to explore like that and come back with many photos.

Yep...our photos make me think. That's what I love about your work thumb.gif
    Thanks Mary for the kind comments and the photo by photo review :)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited April 1, 2010
    Roadkill wrote:
    Yup lull is over... #1 is cool and I really like #7... :D
    Thank you, Roadkill :)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Federico now I know what you look like so if I see you out by an empty house I won't be afraid :D
  • concord977concord977 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    Very nice shots. If it's possible to photograph silence, you may have accomplished it!

This may be old news to many on here (I'm brand new), but you may find the site interesting. It's a directory of cool abandoned buildings and similar locations that would be interesting to photographers: http://www.uer.ca/
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    I think this is an excellent series, but I know what you mean about being unhappy with results. I don't think you should be unhappy with these at all. I love #4--I like photos of doors and gates because they give the impression of taking the viewer to somewhere beyond their vantage point. This one takes me to a place where I can imagine someone cooking for a party taking place somewhere in a fancy room in that mansion. This photo tells lots of possible stories!

I like #5 a lot too. Definitely a story-teller, and the colorful "Earth" against the brown "earth" makes a nice contrast. I wonder how many countries on that globe have different names today?

Nicely done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 3, 2010
    concord977 wrote:
    Very nice shots. If it's possible to photograph silence, you may have accomplished it!

This may be old news to many on here (I'm brand new), but you may find the site interesting. It's a directory of cool abandoned buildings and similar locations that would be interesting to photographers: http://www.uer.ca/
    Thanks, concord977! I checked that site out and it looks interesting as a resource of information on trespassing laws and tips. I didn't know it until you posted it.

Welcome to DGrin, by the way!

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited April 3, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    I think this is an excellent series, but I know what you mean about being unhappy with results. I don't think you should be unhappy with these at all. I love #4--I like photos of doors and gates because they give the impression of taking the viewer to somewhere beyond their vantage point. This one takes me to a place where I can imagine someone cooking for a party taking place somewhere in a fancy room in that mansion. This photo tells lots of possible stories!

I like #5 a lot too. Definitely a story-teller, and the colorful "Earth" against the brown "earth" makes a nice contrast. I wonder how many countries on that globe have different names today?

Nicely done!

Lauren
    Thank you so much, Lauren! I know I can do better... I just need to wait for "it" to come back to me.

The globe photo is my favourite of the lot. I like its simplicity. Hadn't thought about countries that might have different names today... so true...

Federico
    Website / Flickr