Options

The Perseid meteor shower (Peak12-13 Aug)

BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
edited August 17, 2006 in The Big Picture
Photographing the Perseid meteor shower (Peak12-13 Aug)
How to find the meteors and how to shoot them......
Made as simple as possible (I hope) With apologies for rambling, over simplification or over complex mumblings…..

There is the chance of a very good show of meteors tomorrow night (Fri) into Sat. morning in the UK and Sat13th through Sun14th morning in the USA.(But this goes on for two weeks if you miss the main event)

An article…

http://skyandtelescope.com/aboutsky/pressreleases/article_680_1.asp

The waxing crescent moon sets at 1am and if the weather is clear (slim chance in the UK as usual) it may be a great show with a huge number of meteors and possible fireballs (Well anything’s possible)…

So what about trying to catch some action on your camera.

I’ll try to keep this simple and as easy as possible to follow (It is very simple, I promise). There are, I’m sure, loads of ways to catch this event and this is just that I am trying (Photographing Stars without star trail). Try a search for a huge amount of info on Astro photography…

I’m no expert but this is the simplest way I can think of to explain what I’ll be trying (subject to weather) Its very easy……..

HOW TO FIND THE RIGHT PLACE TO LOOK

Find North

Use a compass if you can’t find North from the stars.

To find North from the stars look for the Plough (Ursa Major) it looks like a pot with a handle. Look along the handle to the pot take the two stars at the end of the pot and draw a line upwards until you see the first BRIGHT star you come to. That’s the North Star ( Polaris)

So your looking North at the North Star and over your right shoulder is East.

Just gazing from the Plough to the North Star and keep going the same distance you will see a big W shape in the sky (Cassiopeia).
To Draw a W with a pen you go down up down up OK… So go down the W then up the first middle line and stop... Draw a line back down the way you just came(Second line) and keep going/looking a bit further than the width of Cassiopeia). You are now looking at (Perseus)
You don’t want to look directly into this area. The meteors radiate outwards from this point so look back towards the W or to the area surrounding (Perseus) there is (Andromeda) below the W and to the right of (Perseus). Or below (Perseus) there is the (Pleiades)….

Ok you’ve found the right place to look…it’s a big area so just gaze into the area let your eyes adjust to the dark sit down and relax….Your not star watching, rather just waiting and watching the area, so don’t fixate on stars..

SETUP YOUR STUFF

Set up your tripod and set your camera on top. Get organised. A small torch with a red lens helps keep your night vision. Use anything thin/red taped over the torch.

I’ll be trying to get a shot of a meteor crossing the frame from top left to bottom right corner. So in front of us we have a view of the sky that is making sense with a bearing on (Perseus) as a centre from which the meteors radiate towards the surrounding constellations and towards Earth.

I’ll pick the W (Cassiopeia) as we know where this is, don’t we!!, using the same method as used to find (Perseus) I’ll point the left side of the frame down so its pointed towards (Perseus) with the W in the frame as a reference point for the future.

If luck goes my way a meteor will cross so the pic shows a streak of light from top left to bottom right of the image.

So I’m pointing the top left of the frame towards the source of the meteors.

You may want a wide side on view which increases the chance of a ‘hit’ within frame. If you pointed the top of a portrait at the source of the meteors its much more narrow than the wide side ok…Your choice how to frame the shot.

Maximum Exposure Time Without Star Trail

http://www.atmsite.org/contrib/Tasso/formulae/

I’m going for 24mm on full frame 35mm using the formula T = (1000/F) where T is the maximum exposure time in seconds without a star and F is the focal length of the lens in mm

So 1000/24 = 41.666 or simply 40 seconds exposure at f2.8 ISO400

I shot this a while ago but it shows a rough example of what I’m looking for(Just missing a huge fireball across the frame)

CoronaBorealis.jpg

I’d guess that if your camera is say a 15mm equivalent in 35mm then that’s what you work the calculation out as e.g. 1000/15 = 66.66 sec’s or just 60 sec’s to keep things simple.. I’m on 35mm so I’m guessing here……

You could substitute 1000 for 600 or 200 if you want more and more accurate pic’s or down to T = (1397/F) as mentioned as a starting point on the formula page. I find it leaves star trails that are just a fraction too long. Stick with T=1000/F as it works for star trail free images.

(I was going to talk star trail as another option but this is starting to go on. Try playing with the formula if you want to go this route.)

Don’t forget to find the right place to view from. Dark as possible. Looking North or East or slightly East or North of same.eg NNE.....

Use a release cable and/or a self timer…..

Enjoy the show and don’t get too tied into the photography. Just try to get into a relaxed mode of just shooting away without fussing about the camera…..

Enough of my ramblings I’ll re-read this and adjust any mumbling rubbish later but I hope it makes sense and helps someone catch a shot of what may be a spectacular meteor show…

Bod…..

"The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    clap.gif Great info, thanks Bod!
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Good info...and I'll add some too it...

Go here for a skymap - which will help you find Ursa Major (Big Dipper/Plough), Cassiopeia, and Perseus:

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

I'll add some tidbits for controlling star trails (if that is what you are after).

- Remember that the Earth's axis points towards the north star (Polaris), and of course that the Earth spins on this axis. Now, 90 degrees away from Polaris is the Celestial Equator. Go ahead, make a big right angle with your arms...one pointing at Polaris and the other at a 90 degree angle due south. If you trace your arm from East to West on that 90 deg mark...you are tracing the celestial equator. Why is that important??? Stars that are closer to the celestial equator trail more than stars near the north star (Polaris)

- stars will trail quicker if you use a telefoto or zoom lens. Why? You are going from a wide field to a narrower magnified field...the earth's motion becomes more apparent and visible.

- when you do any kind of astrophotography, you need a somewhat fast lens. something on the order of f/2.2 or faster.

- be sure to bracket! I know you may be trying to capture meteors, but play around with the exposure times!

If you are trying to get interesting star trails:

- go for at least 20 minutes, if not an hour to get good trails. If there is a lot of haze or that nasty "pink light pollution", watch your timing! Let me plug IDA here: http://www.darksky.org
    - get something interesting in the foreground if you can. A tree, building, person's silohette. You can creatively use a flashlight with a wide diffuse beam to "paint" the foreground object so it shows up better if needed.
    - trails where you have Polaris in the shot are always nice

If you ever want them printed:

- DO NOT go to Walmart, Kodak, o-photo, Walgreens, etc. GO TO A PROFESSIONAL PHOTO PRINTING PLACE. They need to adjust EACH picture and set "black as black", otherwise, you end up with this "mottled rug" looking sky! blech! I use my local Ritz camera b/c I've trained them :-) And...if you don't like a picture they develop/print, they'll redo it for free!
    have fun all! I can't go out this year and try, but I'll look forward any pictures people post!

Adrienne
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Yes, I'm very excited about this myself. Sat PM I'll be in Maine w/ my GF at her grandmother's relatively rural house. Hopefully I can avoid some light polution up theah.

I work for a company that makes software and equipment for planetariums. So naturally we have a bunch of people that are quite into astronomy and astro-photography. (Sadly, I'm not really one of them.) I was talking w/ one of them earlier and he suggested stacking several, shorter exposures. He reasoned that 7 second exposures would work nicely w/ my 35/2. He suggested shooting 8 per set and stacking between 4-8. Considering Bod is recommending 20 sec or less (1000 / (35 * 1.6)) for the same lens on my 1.6x crop camera, it sounds pretty logical to me.

This'll be my first stab at astro-photography. Here's hoping! (And here's also hoping I can get up that early in the morning!)
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,217 moderator
    edited August 12, 2005
    Figures
    Last night - cloudy/thunderstorms
    Weekend weather predictions:
    Tonight - cloudy/thunderstorms
    Saturday night - cloudy/thunderstorms
    Sunday night - cloudy/thunderstorms

:pissed

Last time I viewed a good Perseids display in Chicago was decades ago. One can always count on clouds here the second weekend in August. It is my/our curse.

Someday, I will move away from this place and good photographs will follow.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Last night - cloudy/thunderstorms
    Weekend weather predictions:
    Tonight - cloudy/thunderstorms
    Saturday night - cloudy/thunderstorms
    Sunday night - cloudy/thunderstorms

:pissed

Last time I viewed a good Perseids display in Chicago was decades ago. One can always count on clouds here the second weekend in August. It is my/our curse.

Someday, I will move away from this place and good photographs will follow.

A non-starter due to total cloud cover...I waited untill about 2am then went to bed,,,,,

The weather here is the main reason I've never bought a 12" or 16" telescope..The chances of using it are so slim as to make it a waste of money...

Maybe next year.......
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Well, my weather wasn't a complete washout.. unfortunately my skills proved not quite up to the challenge..

Saturday night/Sunday morning I found myself in a relatively rural part of the southern Maine coast. Around midnight we decided to make a run to the beach and watch the sky. The sky was relatively clear when we arrived. I set up and started shooting away. My first mistake was iso.. I left it at 100 and really should have pushed it to 400 or maybe 800. I took sequences of 6 exposures each 8s @ f/2.0 on my 35/2. None are that spectacular.. even lined up and stacked.

Our resident expert astro photography has been wonderfuly patronizing about it all. Of course his first bit of advice: "Ditch that Rebel and get yourself a 20D, like mine!"

We did see a few streaks in the sky now and then. One of my cohorts counted 6, of which I saw 2 and failed to capture any w/ the camera. Shortly after midnight the clouds stated to roll in. I set the alarm for 4 AM intending to get up and give it another try. When I did I discovered we were fully clouded in. Ah well..
  • Options
    BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Search bump... :pimp
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Great info. Sadly, our skies aren't likely to cooperate.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2006
    2006 Meteor Showers

Name * Date of Peak * Moon Phase

Quadrantids * January 3 * Evening crescent
    Lyrids * April 22 * Morning crescent
    Eta Aquarids * May 6 * Past first quarter
    Delta Aquarids * July 28 * Evening crescent
    Perseids * August 12 * Almost full
    Orionids * October 21 * New Moon
    Leonids * November 17 * New Moon
    Geminids * December 14 * Morning crescent
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 12, 2006
    I am getting married tonight at an outdoor wedding. I had completely forgot about the Perseids until last week. This will be a truly neat experience. Talk about fire works. A good friend is the photographer. I hope to talk him into trying to catch a falling star in a photo with me and the bride kissing :-)

The only problem will be the city lights which are to the North of the wedding site. If I only could have talked her into the wedding at Mountain Lake. The view from up there is unreal.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    I am getting married tonight at an outdoor wedding. I had completely forgot about the Perseids until last week. This will be a truly neat experience. Talk about fire works. A good friend is the photographer. I hope to talk him into tyring to catch a falling star in a photo with me and the bride kissing :-)

The only problem will be the city lights which are to the North of the wedding site. If I could have talked her into the wedding at Mountain Lake. The view from up there is unreal.
    Firstly mate...congratulations.

As i read the start of your thread i honestly thought to myself.." oh my god...this fella's going to postpone over a photo shoot opportunity" rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 12, 2006
    Postpone? rolleyes1.gifNo I would not do that. We have over 200 people coming.

It is just a great coincidence. We could not have planned it any better. This has special meaning for us as we are both stargazers anyway. The only thing that would have been better than the Perseids would have been a long tailed comet.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    bad year for Perseid astrophotography
    hey all - saw this was bumped!

Just wanted to add that this year (2006) is bad for playing with astrophotography for the Perseids. The moonrise is around 10pm and will stay in the sky all night - it's just past full and will put out way too much light to have good astrophotos.

You can still try however, but you won't get a dark sky --- it'll be washed out, so be forewarned :)

Good luck to all who will try!

Adrienne
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    ajgauthier wrote:
    hey all - saw this was bumped!
    Thanks Adrienne.

Hey, you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Think any of the other meteor showers I listed above, will be good photo opps?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Adrienne.

Hey, you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Think any of the other meteor showers I listed above, will be good photo opps?

Sometimes the Leonids in November are good - but not for the past few years. I haven't scoped out them out for this year yet.

and yeah, I used to be an avid astrophotographer (using film) in my grad school days --- I used to teach a class to undergrads, lots of fun and lots of cool toys! We had this fabulous skytracking tripod from Japan that someone donated...they were phenomenal!

I'll get back out soon now that I have my Rebel XT, and I have a superfast astrophotography lens from my film Rebel. I also have connections up on Kitt Peak and frequently go up there on observing runs...so we'll see! Once monsoons pass...

Adrienne
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2006
    thumb.gif

I'd love to see your shots, Adrienne.
    Sid.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    I was in Southern Illinois for the Perseid meteor shower on 8/12 and sat in the middle of the lake of Egypt on a boat. Between 4 of us in the boat over 2.5 hours we saw about a dozen meteors. Some were very brief but a couple were very bright and seemed to cross half the sky. I was lucky I was in a location with little light polution and got to witness the show. I agree with Adrienne about the moon though. We watched from about 8:30 - 10:30, at 10:30 the meteors were the brightest but the moon was rising and they were more difficult to see so we called it a night.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif

I'd love to see your shots, Adrienne.
    Me too!

I'm really jealous of your access to Kitt Peak. I managed to get to one of the public viewing evenings up there a few years ago (man, I guess it's 7 or 8 years now!).

We had a bag lunch watching the sunset, then were issued serious binoculars to check things out with as the sky darkened. We saw Iridium flares - are they even still up there? When it got really dark we headed in and took a guided tour of planets and galaxies on what I think was a 16" scope.

It was lots of fun and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

Do you have tips to share for astrophotography, or would shooting film be a lot different than digital? I've tried a few shots but haven't been thrilled with the results. And you mention a "superfast astrophotography lens" - could you fill us in on the specifics?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2006