Canon AEB Question

jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
edited April 1, 2010 in Cameras
Thinking of converting to Canon from Nikon and have been reading the manuals.

I don't like the Nikon requirement to take 5 exposures to get 2 stop spacing (because the max spacing is one stop.)

Do I understand the Canon manual correctly...

Maximum of 3 exposures in the bracketed sequence.

Max bracket spread would be: -3.0, 0.0, +3.0
Min would be: -0.3, 0.0, +0.3

Thanks,

John

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2010
    Actually, the maximum bracketing increment is 2 stops on all the Canon bodies I've seen. (Not sure about the 1D series though.) So your max bracket spread is: -2.0, 0.0, +2.0. Your minimum spread looks correct.

You can combine EC offset with AEB to get a wider range, but it takes two series to do so. One gets very adept at taking a series at say EC -2, then spinning the EC wheel to the right so it maxes out at EC+2, and firing off another series. You end up with six shots that way, of which you only use 5 because one is a duplicate.
  • jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Joel,

Here is Canon's description:

From the 7D Online Specs
    Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments (AEB ±3 stops)
    * Indicated up to ±3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.

After reading that AND the manual I thought I had it figured out. I see that you do some really nice HDR work, the bypass images are fantastic. So, I would assume you've been in the AEB stuff a bunch. Needless to say, the manual is pretty confusing in their explanation.

Thanks,

John
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2010
    Oh, they improved AEB on the 7D. clap.gif Good to know. Although more than 2 stops per increment seems like an awfully big jump. headscratch.gif

And yes, I've been playing around with HDR stuff for a few years. I typically bracket everything now just in case. Talk about data overload. :wow

Thanks for your kind words. The stuff on my Smugmug account is my latest work, I have tons more on a different server. If you didn't see my Zion Subway shots, you might enjoy those as well.

Cheers,
    -joel