Alas, a great photo resource is gone

crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited April 4, 2010 in Landscapes
Wasn't sure where to post this, but ultimately decided here in the landscape forum since the subject matter pertains to the thread title.
A great online photo resource has been discontinued for anyone wishing
to view wildflowers in California, and I wouldn't be surprised if lotsa folk
here have visited this site before:

http://calphoto.com/wflower.htm

This site was updated almost daily from viewers who emailed the site owner about where they went and what they saw (or didn't). It was a great resource to time your trip to see the beauty of spring here in CA whether it
was in Death Valley, the Central Coast, or San Diego.
Apparently, cattle ranchers and other private property owners emailed the site owner blasting photographers and wildflower enthusiasts for trespassing, ignoring Private Property signs, driving thru fields etc.
She shut that part of her site down :cry

I thought I would pass on the message here.

On a good note, the site owner does a fall update for CA as well. Let's hope
she continues with that.
jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    I had actually read the post by the land owner involving Cottonwood Canyon. Which is in So Cal I believe. I was checking on Death Valley bloom status. But I have seen the same things go on up here in Nor Cal. Table mountain for instance. Unfortunately people think everything is there for any whim or pleasure they feel is entitled to them, without regard to their actions affect on the future.
    Sometimes publicity is a bad thing. It was in this case.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I had actually read the post by the land owner involving Cottonwood Canyon. Which is in So Cal I believe. I was checking on Death Valley bloom status. But I have seen the same things go on up here in Nor Cal. Table mountain for instance. Unfortunately people think everything is there for any whim or pleasure they feel is entitled to them, without regard to their actions affect on the future.
    Sometimes publicity is a bad thing. It was in this case.
    I read that post regarding the Cottonwood Canyon rancher too. Calphoto.com mustve gotten numerous emails from this same area to have shut down the hotline.
    I follow another wildflower update website and under the Highway 166 section, which inhabits Cottonwood Canyon and the town of Cuyama, the update specifically stated "but please remember to be respectful of any and all private property and, of course, the wildflowers"
    Hopefully this site keeps them coming, the updates, that is.
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll