Island of Biri: An Escape to Northern Samar, Philippines

GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited June 10, 2010 in Landscapes
"Never Stop Exploring!" How do you feed such drive? How do you do it? These were the questions I have now that another vacation is coming. It's been 3 months since my last shoot in the Islands of Dumaguete, Siquijor and Apo but still it brings back memories of the sheer adventure I've had. I want to do it again!

Leyte/Tacloban keeps popping out of the picture but where and how do I start? The place is huge and rumored to be filled with NPA and hilohilo (locals put poison in food). I'm stuck! It's in a meeting with fellow Cebu Digital Photographers that we finally narrowed down the Next Safari. With everything that has been said I braved this trip with two things in mind Landscape and to Reflect. Allow me to present my Escape to Northern Samar in a quaint Island called BIRI.

ISO 50 l 20mm l f13 l 4sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd8 l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4483781506_9c584c0c1e_o.jpg

Experience in 1280 res > http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4483782798_450e7c1711_o.jpg
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."

Comments

• GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    I saw this kid picking up shells on the shores of Biri. He said that only during low-tide that they can walk this far from the main land and harvest them with ease . He sells them in the market which he then uses to buy bread for lunch.

At the back you can see Mangroves or "Bakawan" plantation that stretches almost halfway going to to the rock formations. Just like the Mangroves I've seen in Panglao, Bohol locals plant them to keep their marine ecosystem balance and to bring in more fish. By the way see the rock formation in the middle that's where I shot my opening image. Awesome Light and View!
    ISO 50 l 27mm l f13 l 15sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l KENKO ND400 l MARUMI CPL l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4483127427_d65d73e367_o.jpg
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    Very nice. Like second one best.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    I love the first shot. It feels like it pulls you forward into it. The second one is nice. I would like to see it in color. Weird plants.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    2nd is awesome ! loved it clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited April 9, 2010
    thanks zero, alez and awaisclap.gif cheerio!
    edited April 9, 2010
    Fact#1 Where is Biri Island?

Biri Island is one island in a cluster of about 18 off the northern end of Samar. The island cluster is known as the balicuartro Islands. You will find Biri Island the most northerly, in the straits which divide the main Island of Luzon and the Island of Samar. This strait is responsible for moving nearly 70% of the water that flows in and out of the Visayas, the strait is known as the San Bernardino Strait. So you can imagine that the tidal current can be ferocious.

source> Biri Tourism

ISO 50 l 17mm l f13 l .7sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd8 l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4489694054_38212f8d10_o.jpg
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    I'm normally not a fan of black & white but the shot you posted is really nice. I like the details you posted along with them pictures as well. Much better than just a string of random shots.
    edited April 10, 2010
    Thwack wrote:
    I'm normally not a fan of black & white but the shot you posted is really nice. I like the details you posted along with them pictures as well. Much better than just a string of random shots.

thanks thwack really appreciate you taking time. cheerio!thumb.gif
    edited April 10, 2010
    This shot was taken on top of a cliff at the far side of the beach. Despite of its beauty a lot of mystical stories go around Biri. My guide narrated that the Island is guarded by an Engkantada/ Fairy which was once a local of this town. She was abducted by Engkantos when she was just a little girl to rule over their kingdom. Sightings of the fairy were documented in photos, videos and actual encounter of the locals.

If ever you do visit Biri have a guide with you wherever you go especially going to places that involves trekking. You can easily get lost and "be played" upon by these elements. My guide also said that if your in a group don't get rowdy because accidents happen if ever they are disturbed. I guess the perfect word is Respect.

ISO 50 l 17mm l f13 l 1.5sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l KENKO ND8 l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4483129953_e676ac0772_o.jpg
    edited April 12, 2010
    I just finished reading the book Developing Vision and Style: A Landscape Photography Masterclass by Joe Cornish, Charlie White and David Ward. I learned a lot from this book and once again I'm inspired! I'd like to share one of the photogs in this book, Mike McFarlane he said "I like to be in places that no else went to, often places where people weren't meant to go and if this meant scrambling down a cliff or over a wall, then so be it, I just had to be there..."

ISO 50 l 29mm l f16 l 30sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd400 l Marumi Cpl l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

Experience in 1440 res> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/4514106043_1ba6f40d09_o.jpg

4514103731_ea8b82b2ec_o.jpg
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Lovely series but the second shot is really special. Love your perspective and the B/W works beautifully. wonderful composition.
    edited April 13, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote:
    Lovely series but the second shot is really special. Love your perspective and the B/W works beautifully. wonderful composition.

thanks doug really appreciate that, cheerio!
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Beautiful images! And thanks for including technical details, I find this very useful for an amateur like myself. Just to confirm my learning from the second image, I presume that you froze the boy in the image using your flash: Assuming I'm correct, what is your process of getting the settings right? Lightmeter, or from experience you simply know what is right?

thx

ps your images are confirmation that I really want a grad ND filter. I'll show them to my wife and say 'see this is what you can do with this filter', although I don't think she will agree with the singh ray one :D
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
    edited April 14, 2010
    Beautiful images! And thanks for including technical details, I find this very useful for an amateur like myself. Just to confirm my learning from the second image, I presume that you froze the boy in the image using your flash: Assuming I'm correct, what is your process of getting the settings right? Lightmeter, or from experience you simply know what is right?

thx

ps your images are confirmation that I really want a grad ND filter. I'll show them to my wife and say 'see this is what you can do with this filter', although I don't think she will agree with the singh ray one :D

hi I asked the kid to hold that position for 15 seconds no flash was used for this shot. I did some test shots first then adjusted to suit my taste (exposure and dof). Get the reverse grad you'll be surprised with what this filter can do. iloveyou.gif goodluck!
    edited April 14, 2010
    I took this image while i was heading back to town I though it's going to be a failed sunset shoot but all of a sudden this explosion of magenta, orange, and red hues filled up the sky. I was so excited quickly got my camera bumped Iso to 200 and did some long exposures. I wish I had more chance to shoot sunset in Biri since most of the time weather was not cooperating. Now, there's a reason to go back...;)

ISO 200 l 19mm l f11 l 10sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Marumi Cpl l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4517352723_0ec6c4ce97_o.jpg
    edited April 16, 2010
    Good morning there!;)During my stay in Biri I found out that the place is ruled by the Dela Cruz Clan. Almost everyone I talk to it's either they're cousins or related by blood. I met Councilor "Dodoy" Dela Cruz while I was walking around town and taking picture of the locals. He asked me what i'm going to do with the pictures and after which he invited me for dinner. Along the conversation he shared his goal to push tourism, to showcase Biri's beaches and rock formations. In a small way we have the same thing in mind and by taking pictures hopefully those who sees it will give them interest to visit their quaint Island. ;)

ISO 100 l 17mm l f13 l .7sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd8 l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4526454321_c5131ed8a6_o.jpg
    edited April 18, 2010
    Today, I looked at my watch it’s 4:15am. I was woken up by drums beating outside my apartment and a group of local candidates were campaigning already, wtf! Haha I don’t want to talk about hardcore politics early this day but what I could share is a thought hoping them CRABS won’t get the best in us. I still believe that a person remains to be Fair and Hypocrisy is kept in the closet because sometimes it’s so obvious that integrity is easily replaced by disgust.

Enough of the negativity! I tried to make sense of this morning by editing this beautiful sunset I took in Biri. Most of the time the sun is covered by them blue/black clouds but a little patience and luck paid off. Good Morning;).

ISO 100 l 17mm l f13 l .7sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd8 l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4526924642_8ce4b1b164_o.jpg
    edited April 22, 2010
    My Tribute to Earth Day!:D

I thought of processing this image specially for this day. What a beautiful world we live in and it's just right for us to take care of it. All the hype about 2012 as end of the world gives me the creeps and I don' t want to experience that anytime soon! In my little way going green is my small step to preventing all of these chaos and mishaps from happening.
    click 1440 for details > http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2743/4541685461_58bd7d98f7_o.jpg

ISO 50 l 25mm l f13 l 1/4sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Marumi Cpl l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4542319924_5fbf601e72_o.jpg

It's low tide and we can already walk and experience the layers of the sea bed. It was out of this planet experience for me! I never imagined such details will come out this time of the day. That's Magasang formation in the middle i still can't get near it because waves are still ferocious and sea spray is overwhelming. I was so tempted to get a close up image but its to hazardous for the gears. Anyway it was still breath taking, later that day I got near it and had my succeeding images taken!
    edited April 29, 2010
    This is a sunrise image I took on top of one of the rock formation in Biri. It was a bit foggy that day specially near the mountains and it gave me some of the range in silhouette. Strong winds early that morning, waves crashing and the sunrise sarap!!!

ISO 200 l 21mm l f13 l 1sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd8 l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4530348124_68c2f79382_o.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    GORIO wrote:
    This is a sunrise image I took on top of one of the rock formation in Biri. It was a bit foggy that day specially near the mountains and it gave me some of the range in silhouette. Strong winds early that morning, waves crashing and the sunrise sarap!!!

I love this clifftop photo! The soft contrast really lends a lot to the mood. thumb.gif
    edited May 25, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    I love this clifftop photo! The soft contrast really lends a lot to the mood. thumb.gif

thanks schmoo!!! weee!rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 25, 2010
    I thought of sharing this hilarious excerpt from the net though I posted this already in my wall but for those who can't read it or missed it here it goes:) With the vibes from the recent movie, Clash of the Titans and Philippine Election. In a classroom setting teacher asks "What's your favorite mythical creature?" Student: "An honest politician." haha

I just finished reading the book Developing Vision and Style: A Landscape Photography Masterclass by Joe Cornish, Charlie White and David Ward. I learned a lot from this book and once again I'm inspired! I'd like to share one of the photogs in this book, Mike McFarlane he said "I like to be in places that no else went to, often places where people weren't meant to go and if this meant scrambling down a cliff or over a wall, then so be it, I just had to be there..."

ISO 50 l 22mm l f11 l 30sec. l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd400 l Marumi Cpl l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4604744191_3efb97abba_o.jpg
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Truly marvelous photography.

I'm well familiar with the geography of the area due to my ardent interest in WWII naval history. The San Bernardino Strait was the site of some really ferocious battles as a prelude to the noted Battle of the Philippine Sea. I'm curious.....as you travel that area, do you see any evidence of the war?

Thanks for sharing these great pictures.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited June 7, 2010
    Truly marvelous photography.

I'm well familiar with the geography of the area due to my ardent interest in WWII naval history. The San Bernardino Strait was the site of some really ferocious battles as a prelude to the noted Battle of the Philippine Sea. I'm curious.....as you travel that area, do you see any evidence of the war?

Thanks for sharing these great pictures.

Tom

yeah! it was once a jap base and a a lot of killings happened there. They say there are still bones and the yamashita treasure is buried there. thanks for taking time tom.
    edited June 7, 2010
    Saw these prints during an early morning shoot/stroll in the beach. It was peaceful that time not much locals, tourist in the scene its just the sea, sand and surreal view! Looking at these prints, undisturbed, lead the eyes into the picture. If you notice the cliff there that's where I shot my 3rd image during sunset.

ISO 50 l 17mm l f13 l .5sec l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Marumi Cpl l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4518866689_980dfdf113_o.jpg
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Out of all of them, the 2nd one is still my fav. It tells a story of hard work.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
    edited June 10, 2010
    Tharhawk wrote: »
    Out of all of them, the 2nd one is still my fav. It tells a story of hard work.

thanks tharhawk!
    edited June 10, 2010
    This is a sunrise image I took on top of one of the rock formations in Biri. The wind was so strong early that morning and according to my guide it's their normal breeze everyday haha. I really can't forget this spot since this is where my Singhray Reverse Grads were thrown off the cliff by a gust of wind. It was all in "Slow Motion" seeing my filter fly. Nooo my singhrays!!! haha

Luckily, it's not high tide to where it landed! My eyes didn't leave the spot where my filter lies under water! Owen, my guide, hurriedly traversed the cliff a few meters down to recover it. It was a relief however it did suffered some cracks on the sides:( Oh well I just thought sooner or later it will be damaged in a shoot and today is that day here in this Island, so I'm fine rationalizing with that idea! haha

ISO 50 l 21mm l f13 l 3sec. l 5DMK2 l 17-40L l Kenko Nd8 l Singh Ray "Daryl Benson Reverse Grad" 3 Stops

4634950441_0fa2912640_o.jpg