Dry Creek Printer profiles and digital labs

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited April 29, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I just calibrated my monitor with a spyder 2.

NOW WHAT?

This profile now loads every time I start my computer, slows me down; btp.

How do I tell lightroom 2 to use this profile, can't find the seeting.

And lastly, most importantly, Has anyone used the dry creek profiles to synch with your local color lab and what is the specific skinny on do this?

thanks

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 19, 2010
    bumping this thread back to the top.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote:
    I just calibrated my monitor with a spyder 2.

NOW WHAT?

This profile now loads every time I start my computer, slows me down; btp.

And lastly, most importantly, Has anyone used the dry creek profiles to synch with your local color lab and what is the specific skinny on do this?

thanks
    Just covering some basics....

What monitor? model please.

OS?

FYI... I use a Spyder2 PRO so I am familiar with this device.

The Dry Creek profiles for the papers/inks used by your local color lab are only useful if you are "soft proofing". With soft proofing you essentially display on screen an approximation of what your printed output will be. Not much use if your monitor is not calibrated.

Adobe CS3/4/5 allow for soft proofing. I believe LR2 - 2.6 does not support soft proofing. QImage PRO and ACDSee Pro 3 allow soft proofing.

All of these programs will have a color management configuration menu where you identify your monitors ICC profile per what you created with your Spyder2 and where you also point to the printers ICC profile, whether it be you own home printer or your color labs'.

This tutorial is not much help, a screenshot would be better.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.pdf

See Chapter 8 "Setting Resolution and Color Management"

• vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Newsy wrote:
    Just covering some basics....

What monitor? model please. DELL ULTRASHARP 19" flat panel LCD.

OS? XP-PRO

FYI... I use a Spyder2 PRO so I am familiar with this device.

The Dry Creek profiles for the papers/inks used by your local color lab are only useful if you are "soft proofing". With soft proofing you essentially display on screen an approximation of what your printed output will be. Not much use if your monitor is not calibrated.

Adobe CS3/4/5 allow for soft proofing. I believe LR2 - 2.6 does not support soft proofing. QImage PRO and ACDSee Pro 3 allow soft proofing.

All of these programs will have a color management configuration menu where you identify your monitors ICC profile per what you created with your Spyder2 and where you also point to the printers ICC profile, whether it be you own home printer or your color labs'.

This tutorial is not much help, a screenshot would be better.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.pdf

See Chapter 8 "Setting Resolution and Color Management"

WOW thanks for that:

I have a DELL Ultrasharp 19" Flat panel LCD.
    i calibrated with spyder2. my understanding is this calibrates the monitor/graphics card.

I use prophoto color space, and of course my camera shoots in sRGB. but i have PS-cs4 colorspace set to prophoto.

I downloaded drycreek's printer profile for the particular printer at my color lab ( actually 2, one for glossy and one for luster).

here's the trick that I am not sure about....when i am ready to send to the printer i change the colorspace to the "printer profile" of the color lab??
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote:

You don't. Lightroom picks up the profile used by the system, so as long as the profile is applied properly at the system level, for your display, then Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. will all pick it up. There's no reason to do it any other way since all apps see the same monitor, so they all need to see the same profile. Best to do that centralized at the system.
    vdotmatrix wrote:

I think what you do in Lightroom is in the Print module, you first switch the print module to Print to JPEG so that you will get a file instead of a print. This is described here. Then you apply the profile in the section for printer profiles as described here. When you hit Print you get a JPEG with your profile applied, and you send that to your lab.
    edited April 23, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote:
    WOW thanks for that:

I have a DELL Ultrasharp 19" Flat panel LCD.
    Specific model number please. Should look something like 1905FP.

i calibrated with spyder2. my understanding is this calibrates the monitor/graphics card.

I use prophoto color space, and of course my camera shoots in sRGB. but i have PS-cs4 colorspace set to prophoto.
    It is highly likely your current monitor is incapable of showing the full ProPhotoRGB color space, let alone 100% of the sRGB space.

edited April 23, 2010
    Newsy wrote:
    Specific model number please. Should look something like 1905FP.

It is highly likely your current monitor is incapable of showing the full ProPhotoRGB color space, let alone 100% of the sRGB space.

OUCH! I finally found the model number of my monitor #1900FP made December 2002.

What color space should i be using? I have CS4 Suite and I have selected the PROPHOTORGB. I went into LR and fiddled with the PRINTER settings to PRINT TO JPG. but when I went to select the DRYCREEK profiles, LR isn't looking there.

In addition, LR is giving me the option of selecting the calibration profile as a color management option.

which should I use? ProphotoRGB, AdobeRGB or sRGB?
    edited April 23, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    You don't. Lightroom picks up the profile used by the system, so as long as the profile is applied properly at the system level, for your display, then Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. will all pick it up. There's no reason to do it any other way since all apps see the same monitor, so they all need to see the same profile. Best to do that centralized at the system.

I think what you do in Lightroom is in the Print module, you first switch the print module to Print to JPEG so that you will get a file instead of a print. This is described here. Then you apply the profile in the section for printer profiles as described here. When you hit Print you get a JPEG with your profile applied, and you send that to your lab.

OKAY...so once I figure out the right color space to use between LR and CS4 (since the monitor calibration is loaded systemwide at startup and occurs at the graphics card level), WHAT is the difference between EXPORT and PRINT to jpg file in Lightroom 2.7?
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote:
    WHAT is the difference between EXPORT and PRINT to jpg file in Lightroom 2.7?

The problem with Export is that you can't attach a custom lab printing profile there. To use the printing profile you have to go through Print. So you make a JPEG by attaching the lab profile and going through the Print engine. Then all the lab has to do to finish the job is put it in the printer.

In Photoshop it is a little different. You can Convert to Profile and then Save that as a JPEG.
    But Lightroom doesn't have a Convert to Profile command so they snuck the feature into the Print panel so you could still get a custom lab profile print done.
    edited April 23, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote:
    OUCH! I finally found the model number of my monitor #1900FP made December 2002.

Definitely not a wide gamut and probably not 100% coverage of the sRGB space but likely close enough. I really could not find much info on it. I'm pretty sure it uses a PVA TFT LCD panel.

What color space should i be using? I have CS4 Suite and I have selected the PROPHOTORGB. I went into LR and fiddled with the PRINTER settings to PRINT TO JPG. but when I went to select the DRYCREEK profiles, LR isn't looking there.

In addition, LR is giving me the option of selecting the calibration profile as a color management option.

which should I use? ProphotoRGB, AdobeRGB or sRGB?

I think your custom calibrated ICC profile is what you should have in your Windows Color Management utility configuration and elsewhere for the image on screen.

Btw... you never told us what Operating System you use.

For printing, most 3rd party printing shops will expect you to supply an image with the sRGB profile embedded. Very few are able to work with ProPhotoRGB or AdobeRGB embedded images.

edited April 23, 2010
    Newsy wrote:
    Definitely not a wide gamut and probably not 100% coverage of the sRGB space but likely close enough. I really could not find much info on it. I'm pretty sure it uses a PVA TFT LCD panel.

I think your custom calibrated ICC profile is what you should have in your Windows Color Management utility configuration and elsewhere for the image on screen.

Btw... you never told us what Operating System you use.

For printing, most 3rd party printing shops will expect you to supply an image with the sRGB profile embedded. Very few are able to work with ProPhotoRGB or AdobeRGB embedded images.

Oh man...i actually did say in post #4 that I was using XP-PRO.

I am feeling a little queezy over all this.

Some stuff i read, as you all have alluded to is that I won't benefit from using ProphotoRGB or sRGB for some reason.

Another source said i should use adobeRGB.

Then the matter of using the PRINTER PROFILES from DRYCREEK and the following procedure for SOFT PROOFING in CS4: View>proofsetup>Device to simulate> then I would select the drycreek profiles.

Why wouldn't I just stay inthe DRYCREEK profiles to begin with.

UGGGGG! you guys please don't go away until will all agree on what to do ok !!!! Laughing.gif
    edited April 23, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote:
    Oh man...i actually did say in post #4 that I was using XP-PRO.
    Ack! Didn't think to read in the quoted portion.

WinXP Pro.... have you downloaded and installed the MS Color Management Applet?

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&displaylang=en

I am feeling a little queezy over all this.

Some stuff i read, as you all have alluded to is that I won't benefit from using ProphotoRGB or sRGB for some reason.

Another source said i should use adobeRGB.

Then the matter of using the PRINTER PROFILES from DRYCREEK and the following procedure for SOFT PROOFING in CS4: View>proofsetup>Device to simulate> then I would select the drycreek profiles.

Why wouldn't I just stay inthe DRYCREEK profiles to begin with.

UGGGGG! you guys please don't go away until will all agree on what to do ok !!!! Laughing.gif
    Sounds like you are confusing the ICC profiles for the monitor with the ICC profiles for the printer. They are two different media. Monitor gives information to your eyes via a back lit LCD panel. Printer gives information to your eyes via reflected light off a paper sheet.

You must use a correct profile for the media. You can't use a printer profile for the monitor. Nor should you use a color space profile for the monitor or printer.

AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB, and sRGB are color space standards. When you create a JPEG and embed the sRGB profile in it, it gets "tagged".

If you upload that image to an online web site like Flickr, SmugMug, or others for sharing your images, when people download that image to view, their browser reads that tag and learns what color space standard that image is within. Then it can ensure it displays correctly. Ditto for when you copy that image to a local shop to make prints. Their printer will read the tag and know that this image is within the sRGB standard and adjust and print accordingly. Their printer will also use a ICC printer profile for the specific inks and papers they use.

I don't really understand why you would have CS4 work in the AdobeRGB color space when your original is sRGB, your output has to be sRGB, and your monitor can't even show the full AdobeRGB color space which could lead to odd color effects if you start playing around with some of the color tools in CS4. You may not see them now on your current monitor but could in the future if you upgrade.

Normally when you print, you would use the printer manufacturer supplied profile for a the specific type of paper you are printing to, assuming you are also using the OEM inks from that manufacturer. Usually there would be a profile for high gloss, another for plain old glossy, one for matte, and maybe one for another type. You would point your printer driver to the correct profile.

When you print from CS4, you would use the same OEM profile. But if you "soft proof" for your local print shop and they use the Dry Creek inks and papers, then you point to the Dry Creek profile for soft proofing. You would never use the Dry Creek profile for actual printing, only for make believe printing.

You don't need to embed the Dry Creek profile into your image. You local shop already uses it on their PC + printer. The only thing they need to be assured of is that your image has a color gamut that falls within the sRGB standard which their equipment is capable of rendering.

Have you seen these pages?

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#

edited April 23, 2010
    Newsy wrote:
    Ack! Didn't think to read in the quoted portion.

WinXP Pro.... have you downloaded and installed the MS Color Management Applet? YES, had it already in the control panel!!! thanks you [check!!]

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&displaylang=en

Sounds like you are confusing the ICC profiles for the monitor with the ICC profiles for the printer. They are two different media. Monitor gives information to your eyes via a back lit LCD panel. Printer gives information to your eyes via reflected light off a paper sheet.

the plug and play monitor calibration is for the graphics card and monitor [check]

You must use a correct profile for the media. You can't use a printer profile for the monitor. Nor should you use a color space profile for the monitor or printer.

AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB, and sRGB are color space standards. When you create a JPEG and embed the sRGB profile in it, it gets "tagged".

My mark2N is set for sRGB, makes sense to keep eeverything sRGB. I will select sRGB [check!!]

If you upload that image to an online web site like Flickr, SmugMug, or others for sharing your images, when people download that image to view, their browser reads that tag and learns what color space standard that image is within. Then it can ensure it displays correctly. Ditto for when you copy that image to a local shop to make prints. Their printer will read the tag and know that this image is within the sRGB standard and adjust and print accordingly. Their printer will also use a ICC printer profile for the specific inks and papers they use.

I don't really understand why you would have CS4 work in the AdobeRGB color space when your original is sRGB, your output has to be sRGB, and your monitor can't even show the full AdobeRGB color space which could lead to odd color effects if you start playing around with some of the color tools in CS4. You may not see them now on your current monitor but could in the future if you upgrade.

after reading so much i almost wat to buy a nice new monitor. I am understanding now the relationships and limitations of the different color spaces and I switched everything to sRGB. [check!!]

Normally when you print, you would use the printer manufacturer supplied profile for a the specific type of paper you are printing to, assuming you are also using the OEM inks from that manufacturer. Usually there would be a profile for high gloss, another for plain old glossy, one for matte, and maybe one for another type. You would point your printer driver to the correct profile.

When you print from CS4, you would use the same OEM profile. But if you "soft proof" for your local print shop and they use the Dry Creek inks and papers, then you point to the Dry Creek profile for soft proofing. You would never use the Dry Creek profile for actual printing, only for make believe printing.

[ i would never print any SERIOUS work at home.

The drycreek profiles are for softproofing. I softproof my images before sending them off to my colorlab. Now how acute would anyone's eyes need to be to pickup on subtle changes when you softproof. Would something be SO obvious during softproofing?

You don't need to embed the Dry Creek profile into your image. You local shop already uses it on their PC + printer. The only thing they need to be assured of is that your image has a color gamut that falls within the sRGB standard which their equipment is capable of rendering. sRGB [check!!]

Have you seen these pages?

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#

I also found this page: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps11_colour/ps11_1.htm

thanks for your help.
    edited April 23, 2010
    I spent an hour on the Ballard link and did the test in photoshop. I also confirmed the material in the first link as well and thanks for that.

One thing that i think I gleened from this site was that sRGB is preferred for internet and browsers hands down. I guess if you are mainly using your images there. I want to be pretty close, but my main concern is accuracy when I get stuff back from the color lab to present to the client.

Everything is in sync on my system with sRGB now.

I think this is where it all was before i started getting all fancy pants and paying attention to calibrating my monitor and all.

So, bottom line-stay in sRGB, use the DRYCREEK profile to merely "softproof" final quick check before I send something off to the colorlab.

eek7.gif
    edited April 24, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote:
    I spent an hour on the Ballard link and did the test in photoshop. I also confirmed the material in the first link as well and thanks for that.

One thing that i think I gleened from this site was that sRGB is preferred for internet and browsers hands down. I guess if you are mainly using your images there. I want to be pretty close, but my main concern is accuracy when I get stuff back from the color lab to present to the client.

Everything is in sync on my system with sRGB now.

I think this is where it all was before i started getting all fancy pants and paying attention to calibrating my monitor and all.

So, bottom line-stay in sRGB, use the DRYCREEK profile to merely "softproof" final quick check before I send something off to the colorlab.

eek7.gif

I almost missed your comments within the "quoted" space. Had not realized you were doing that until today. Who knows what else I've missed in your posts.

For future reference, when replying the best thing to do is use a little bit of forum code to chop up the quoted text so I can see your replies as normal text.

Insert a [ quote ] (removes the spaces within the brackets) at the beginning of text you want in a quote format and at the end of the text add a [ /quote ] (removes the spaces within the brackets) .

The benefit is that when I quote back all your new text will be picked up and all my old quote text is omitted.

Use your Spyder profile for the monitor, the printer mfg supplied profiles for your home printer, the Drycreek for soft proofing, and save your images with the sRGB color space embedded.

edited April 24, 2010
    Newsy wrote:
    I almost missed your comments within the "quoted" space. Had not realized you were doing that until today. Who knows what else I've missed in your posts.

For future reference, when replying the best thing to do is use a little bit of forum code to chop up the quoted text so I can see your replies as normal text.

Insert a [ quote ] (removes the spaces within the brackets) at the beginning of text you want in a quote format and at the end of the text add a [ /quote ] (removes the spaces within the brackets) .

The benefit is that when I quote back all your new text will be picked up and all my old quote text is omitted.

Use your Spyder profile for the monitor, the printer mfg supplied profiles for your home printer, the Drycreek for soft proofing, and save your images with the sRGB color space embedded.

THANK YOU [CHECK-CHECK ] clap.gif VINCENT
    edited April 25, 2010
    i have to post this for the benefit of people who are just connecting with softproofing, color space and such.

so you open your image in PS. do the softprooofing, then you must EDIT>convert to profile to get the image ready for the printer, by embedding the color space to the image and whichever the color lab requires/prefers.

So, am I reading this right? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

When you open PS-SC4, ARE YOU always in soft proof mode until you convert the profile to the particular color space flavor?

read this http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=165532

I read article after article after article use stupidRGB; don't use sRGB, use adobe RGB don't use adobeRGB, use adobeRGB then switch to prophotoRGB and back again-WTF!!!

HERE is another article that makes we want to drink a STOP BATH cocktail over ice with a twist!!!

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1350901

HONESTLY...is there a bottom line?

Can you assign the embedded colorspace at will to any image at any time you wish?
    edited April 29, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    The problem with Export is that you can't attach a custom lab printing profile there. To use the printing profile you have to go through Print. So you make a JPEG by attaching the lab profile and going through the Print engine. Then all the lab has to do to finish the job is put it in the printer.

In Photoshop it is a little different. You can Convert to Profile and then Save that as a JPEG.
    But Lightroom doesn't have a Convert to Profile command so they snuck the feature into the Print panel so you could still get a custom lab profile print done.
    HMMM.

Is this accurate? At least not on my version on LR 2.7.

I have been plagued with the WHITE border that now appears when i use the PRINT module-HOW UGLY.

In the EXPORT function it gives you an opportunity to choose format and colorspace/printer profile, since i do not print at home ever.