First attempt at portraits C&C please!

MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited April 5, 2010 in People
First attempt at portraits. I wish I could have put the kids further from the background but the room is not large enough. I used my 50mm lens with light coming in from a window and bounced my SB600 off the walls for a fill flash. Are they underexposed? Any suggestions?

Jane3.jpg

Jane11.jpg

Kate1.jpg

Kate3.jpg

5. Just for fun
DSC_0112.JPG

6. My parents, they're 80
MP1.jpg

I really want to get better so all comments and suggestions are welcome. I did edit these in photoshop but I'm a photoshop noob also so any PP suggestions are welcome. HERE are some of the rest of them.

Comments

• l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    Cute girls!!!!

They all look just a *tad* oversharpened to me, almost like an anti-noise was ran and it did too much.

I did glance at your album, shot 12 to me looks great, I'd maybe sharpen the eyes just a tad, but leave the rest of it that soft. Shot 11 looks over-sharpened, but just hitting the next arrow makes you really see a difference with them side by side.

And who said you had to do shots inside? If it's a beautiful, overcast day, bring those girls outside and add some color to the background!! Don't let a gray-ish background go with such cute dresses and faces!!

Just my thinking, though.

And your mom does NOT look 80!!! I would have guessed no older than 60!!
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Cute girls!!!!

They all look just a *tad* oversharpened to me, almost like an anti-noise was ran and it did too much.

I did glance at your album, shot 12 to me looks great, I'd maybe sharpen the eyes just a tad, but leave the rest of it that soft. Shot 11 looks over-sharpened, but just hitting the next arrow makes you really see a difference with them side by side.

And who said you had to do shots inside? If it's a beautiful, overcast day, bring those girls outside and add some color to the background!! Don't let a gray-ish background go with such cute dresses and faces!!

Just my thinking, though.

And your mom does NOT look 80!!! I would have guessed no older than 60!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Part of them do look over sharpened, especially the hair. I used unsharp mask on the photos. I have photoshop elements and I don't know how to sharpen just the eyes. How do you do that? ne_nau.gif

The outside shots didn't work at all, it was 12noon and really sunny. Also my yard is mostly pavers. The only green tree is in the background of the shot of my parents. It wouldn't have worked for the kids. I think within the next week or two everything should be in bloom here.

I'm sure you've made my mom's day!
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    cute! Agreed on the oversharpening of some, I don't use photoshop of any kind so I can't help you there. Also #3 has a green cast. I like 2 the best.
    edited April 5, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    cute! Agreed on the oversharpening of some, I don't use photoshop of any kind so I can't help you there. Also #3 has a green cast. I like 2 the best.

What post processing do you use?

I fixed the color on #3 any better?

Kate11.jpg

I tried to fix the sharpness. I may have to revert them to the originals and start again.
    Kate111.jpg
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    I use Lightroom 2 iloveyou.gif

i'm on my work monitor so i can't for sure tell about the colors but it looks better. As far as the sharpening, yeah maybe try to start over with it.

maybe someone will chime in about sharpening techniques in photoshop?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    maybe someone will chime in about sharpening techniques in photoshop?

I assume elements supports layers and masking of the layers. So one way:
    Copy the base layer to a new layer (ctrl-J in CS4). Sharpen the the new layer.

Option A: You have layer masks. Add a layer mask to the layer (in CS4 there is a little icon near the bottom of the layer panel with a little circle in the box. This creates a white mask -- all bits enabled). Then in the mask you can paint black to hide what you don't want. If you make a mistake, either Ctrl-Z to undo or paint White back in the mask to get the top layer back in control. If mostly you want to mask, you can flip the layers, or paint-bucket the mask black and draw white where you want it (eyes).

Option B: With some care since it would destroy your sharpened layer, delete bits you don't want and let the lower layer bleed through. You can make the eraser soft and set the flow down so you don't erase 100% of the new pixels with each stroke.

HTH.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited April 5, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I assume elements supports layers and masking of the layers. So one way:
    Copy the base layer to a new layer (ctrl-J in CS4). Sharpen the the new layer.

Option A: You have layer masks. Add a layer mask to the layer (in CS4 there is a little icon near the bottom of the layer panel with a little circle in the box. This creates a white mask -- all bits enabled). Then in the mask you can paint black to hide what you don't want. If you make a mistake, either Ctrl-Z to undo or paint White back in the mask to get the top layer back in control. If mostly you want to mask, you can flip the layers, or paint-bucket the mask black and draw white where you want it (eyes).

Option B: With some care since it would destroy your sharpened layer, delete bits you don't want and let the lower layer bleed through. You can make the eraser soft and set the flow down so you don't erase 100% of the new pixels with each stroke.

HTH.

Hi Andrew, Thanks for your help. I don't think Elements has layer mask, it has clipping mask. I don't know if that would work. I tried your second suggestion. I made a duplicate layer and used unsharp mask on the bottom layer. Then I used the erase tool to erase the eyes.

How are these? This stuff takes such a long time. I can't wait until I get better at photography and photoshop and it is not so hard. [/end whine]

Jane6.jpg

Kate%207.jpg

I think I've been looking at my soft focus sports photography for so long now I went a little crazy with the sharpening!!!!