Upgrading Dilemma , Input Requested.

MGJuliusMGJulius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited April 28, 2010 in Cameras
Hey all,

So my parents asked me what I want for my birthday (May 21st) and I want to get some more photography equipment, but I'm stuck on what to get. I've narrowed my choices to two things, the first is to get the Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM lens or to get the Canon 20D, sell my 10D + 28-80mm lens, and buy the 18-55mm IS lens. I was wondering which option would be best in my situation (my parents said they will spend about $300). Also if there is another route you think I should take, then by all means let me know (I'm still a beginning photographer and maybe i'm not seeing this in the way professional people see it).

Thanks in advance,
MGJulius
Taking pictures and enjoying life, who could ask for anything more?
http://stefanschnake.com

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    You can never go wrong with good glass.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Tripod
    Just an idea - you could get a very good tripod for $300.

A tripod extends your range considerably. You can shoot in really low light, get sharper images, and much more.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 5, 2010
    We could give better advice if you tell us a bit about what you want to shoot. deal.gif
  • MGJuliusMGJulius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    We could give better advice if you tell us a bit about what you want to shoot.

Yeah, I probably should have included that in the first post. Right now I shoot general purpose, but I am wanting to get into portrait work (one of the reasons I got the 50mm lens), and I already have a tripod, but thanks for the advice.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 5, 2010
    Are you basically happy with the 10D camera?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 5, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Are you basically happy with the 10D camera?

Yeah, but I would like a camera with a larger (not much larger) sensor, the ability to accept EF-S Lenses, and the faster frame rate, but I truly love the semi-pro feature and build quality of my 10D. My 10D is running high on shutter count (according to the Folder system i'm on 73,000 shots), but yes I am content with it.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Well, perhaps upgrading to the 20D would be good for you. It would allow you to use more (inexpensive) lenses, it has two more megapixels (8 vs 6 but honestly megapixels do not matter), it starts up faster (really nice feature), it can go up to 1/8000 shutter speed (10D can only go to 1/4000), the flash sync is faster, it has the 9 AF points vs 5, and it has less noise above ISO 800. I have never shot anything from canon's digital line but the Rebels, 40D, 50D, 5D (I and II)... So I'm a little limited in experience with the lower 10D-30D models.

But, on the other hand, getting the 28-135mm would be a nice upgrade. I don't shoot canon anymore, but I did keep this lens to use on my Canon Elan 7 (Film SLR). I love this lens. Its not good in low light, but every other time its awesome!

Tough decision though. If you're happy with the 10D, keep it, if you want a smarter camera... upgrade.

just my $0.02
    Jer
    edited April 5, 2010
    If you lack lighting equipment that should be pretty high on the list of new purchases. My priority for projects like portraiture is:

1) Lighting
    2) Lens(es)
    3) Camera body

... and I really feel that priority order makes the biggest difference in ultimate image quality. Anything that gives you more control over light is a benefit. A good flash with a focus assist light and used properly with appropriate modifiers is the best way to make a giant difference in image quality.

For $300USD you might consider:

Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash (has a focus assist light and compatible with Canon through E-TTL II)
    Some reflectors, helpful with both ambient light (especially outdoors) and indoor light (especially with an appropriate modifier and technique)

http://www.photo4less.com/pd-productid-2289-k-sigma_169101_sigma_ef_530_dg_super_e_ttl_shoe_mount_flash_for_canon_eos_with_e_ttl_ii_operation.htm

Reflector suggestion

DIY flash modifiers:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/2006-small-albums/2006-flashmod/index.html
    ziggy53
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    great advice from Ziggy53 as always.

I suppose you could always consider swapping your 1.8 50mm for a 1.4. It should work budget wise and will give you some experience with a more sensitive lens.
    edited April 6, 2010
    yeah, the 50 1.4 would be a good upgrade!
    Jer
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    yeah, the 50 1.4 would be a good upgrade!

I've made that same upgrade before and it wasn't significant. He wouldn't feel like he'd expanded his horizons at all.

How about a used 70-200 f/4 L (non-IS)? Could probably find one for about $400 if you could stretch a little. It would "wow" you in several ways - both in IQ and in reach.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited April 8, 2010
    I've made that same upgrade before and it wasn't significant. He wouldn't feel like he'd expanded his horizons at all.

Hmm. Well, I guess the Nikon 1.4 must be better than the Canon, because when I upgraded from the Nikon 1.8 to the 1.4G I could tell a huge difference in IQ, focus reliability/speed, and build quality. ne_nau.gif

but, the 70-200 f/4 is a nice lens too...
    Jer
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Hmm. Well, I guess the Nikon 1.4 must be better than the Canon, because when I upgraded from the Nikon 1.8 to the 1.4G I could tell a huge difference in IQ, focus reliability/speed, and build quality. ne_nau.gif
    I had the same experiences with the canon ne_nau.gif
    edited April 8, 2010
    Hmm. Well, I guess the Nikon 1.4 must be better than the Canon, because when I upgraded from the Nikon 1.8 to the 1.4G I could tell a huge difference in IQ, focus reliability/speed, and build quality.

Or maybe the Canon 50/1.8 is better than the Nikkor. :smooch

Sure there is a difference between the Canon 1.8 and 1.4, but it isn't huge. Looking through the lens, it wouldn't change anything he sees. A 70-200 will give him new perspective, and capabilities he's never had before.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited April 8, 2010
    Or maybe the Canon 50/1.8 is better than the Nikkor. :smooch
    no, its not. I had the Canon 1.8 when I shot Canon... I didn't like it at all. And, the Nikon 1.8 was actually pretty decent, I just wanted a professional lens instead of a cheap plastic one... Thats why I upgraded...
    Jer
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    no, its not. I had the Canon 1.8 when I shot Canon... I didn't like it at all. And, the Nikon 1.8 was actually pretty decent, I just wanted a professional lens instead of a cheap plastic one... Thats why I upgraded...

I get good pics with that cheap plastic thing! but if you really want to feel "professional" try getting a Nikon lens with AF!
    I agree going from f1.8 to 1.4 isn't much of an upgrade
    edited April 8, 2010
    I more than likely won't upgrade to the 50mm f1.4, mostly because I got the 50mm f1.8 for Christmas and it works well for I want to do. I've heavily considering the Sigma flash now, but am also thinking about buying the flash separate this summer, and getting the 20D for my birthday.

Also I think the Canon and Nikkor 50mm f1.8 are great lenses..and work well with their respective camera lines. However, I do not want this thread to become a "debate over the 50mm f1.4 upgrade".

Thanks everyone for your concern and I am still open to input,
    MGJulius
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    MGJulius wrote:
    I more than likely won't upgrade to the 50mm f1.4, mostly because I got the 50mm f1.8 for Christmas and it works well for I want to do. I've heavily considering the Sigma flash now, but am also thinking about buying the flash separate this summer, and getting the 20D for my birthday.

Also I think the Canon and Nikkor 50mm f1.8 are great lenses..and work well with there respective camera lines. However, I do not want this thread to become a debate over the 50mm f1.4 upgrade.

Thanks everyone for your concern and I am still open to input,
    MGJulius

The 28-135 from a 50d or 7d kit is a great lens. Not L glass by any means, but considerably better quality than the 18-55. The 20d will allow you to use these lenses and will be and upgrade from your 10d body. But you may consider the 30d, which is not much more in price these days. I picked one up from ebay with a grip for less than $400 last year. The biggest difference is the LCD size.

After you get a 20d/30d, you will definitely want to get better glass. But don't limit your self to just Canon. I have a 30mm 1.4 sigma lens that kills and we use tameron at work.

I would also suggest at looking at something open source comparable to Light Room for post processing your images and start playing around with RAW. Also, technique kills. We just did a zoo and safari day trip, my pictures were great partly because of sharp focus on the subjects and my complements to the rule of thirds and my old friend negative space!

Good luck!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
    edited April 11, 2010
    we use tameron at work.

red flag.
    -Jack

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 11, 2010
    red flag.
    headscratch.gifscratch
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    red flag.

For shooting pictures of houses for mass appraisal out the side of a van which are only viewed by our staff at 640x480? I think Tameron will work just fine :)
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
    edited April 11, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    headscratch.gifscratch

I am a spelling snob.
    -Jack

• TopCatTopCat Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I am a spelling snob.
    Good for you!

Too many people shoot themselves in the foot (and cause their ideas and comments to be discounted) by not paying attention to "details" such as spelling and punctuation.
    Tom
    Nikon D300 with 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR, 35 f/1.8, 70-300 VR; Nikon D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPS 17 (8 GB RAM), LR5.3, Photoshop CC
    My Portfolio
    My PhotoBlog
    edited April 12, 2010
    I am a spelling snob.

e is next to r.. easy mistake. I know when I write long paragraphs, I try my best to spell everything correctly, but sometimes I miss things. Doesn't mean you have to "Red Flag" every mistake people make. Thats just rude. But, I agree that too many people just click submit reply without checking their spelling or grammar.
    Jer
    edited April 12, 2010
    e is next to r.. easy mistake.

He did it twice.
    Doesn't mean you have to "Red Flag" every mistake people make. Thats just rude.

When someone doesn't know how to spell the brand of equipment they are recommending, it makes me wonder.
    -Jack

edited April 12, 2010
    Then again "Tamron" is often pronounced "tameron", so maybe that's the intent. The Internet makes such things confusing. ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I'm fairly certain you can get a 30D for under $300. Other camera to consider is the Rebel XTi. Although it's a rebel, its 2 generations of technology beyond the 20D.

As far as lenses go, I always recommend the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Used can be found under $300.

A flash recommendation is also excellent. Though, these days I prefer to use my flash in manual. You can get a manual flash very cheap, such as http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,12311.html
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited April 12, 2010
    He did it twice.

yeah.. either way.. it doesn't really matter unless its for a master's degree thesis paper. deal.gif Its just the internet, who cares!.thumb.gif

Plus its extremely off topic. Now, lets put these detailed skills to use and suggest some more equipment for the lad.
    Jer
    edited April 27, 2010
    Just to update, I'm going to buy the flash Ziggy mentioned this summer, so that still leaves the 20D or the EF 28-135mm. If anyone else has an opinion please let me know, I am always open to suggestions.

MGJulius
    edited April 28, 2010
    MGJulius wrote:
    Just to update, I'm going to buy the flash Ziggy mentioned this summer, so that still leaves the 20D or the EF 28-135mm. If anyone else has an opinion please let me know, I am always open to suggestions.

MGJulius

Since you are still considering the choice of lens "or" camera, you are not feeling constricted by your camera. The lens is the obvious choice for now.

The Canon EF 28-135mm, f3.5-f5.6 IS USM is an OK lens. Do you feel it would meet your needs?
    ziggy53