Parade

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited April 7, 2010 in Street and Documentary
823021841_BK2AV-L.jpg

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    This has a lot going for it. Why isn't it a wow?

I like all the background people facing the opposite direction as the protagonist. My first comment before I looked more carefully was that it needed more separation between subject and background, probably with even shallower DOF. But on second look, the fact that the attention of background people should separate them from the girl.

I guess that really, it doesn't, though. She just doesn't stand out enough from that busy background.
    If not now, when?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    This has a lot going for it. Why isn't it a wow?

I like all the background people facing the opposite direction as the protagonist. My first comment before I looked more carefully was that it needed more separation between subject and background, probably with even shallower DOF. But on second look, the fact that the attention of background people should separate them from the girl.

I guess that really, it doesn't, though. She just doesn't stand out enough from that busy background.

Yes a shallower DOF, just enough to blur but still show there disinterest would of been Great, I think :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 5, 2010
    rutt wrote:

I don't think the problem is DOF; it's color. There are too many bright, saturated colors in the background that command attention. Some selective desaturation might help.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I don't think the problem is DOF; it's color. There are too many bright, saturated colors in the background that command attention. Some selective desaturation might help.

Oh, no! I almost explicitly mentioned that I wouldn't do this.

But you are right about the chromatic chaos. I don't really think this one can be saved, but maybe try in B&W?
    If not now, when?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 5, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Oh, no! I almost explicitly mentioned that I wouldn't do this.
    Not selective color, just reducing the sat, especially of the reds and greens in certain areas. When done right, it isn't immediately noticeable. If you want to get fancy, you can use a saturation mask, then tweak it.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll try a few things and post a bit later.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    So here are my results.

Two B&W conversions. I think neither really works. The BG is still really busy.

828695668_qRNsW-L.jpg

829235319_rMeA6-L.jpg

Then I played with the color to see if I could subtly bring out the girl from the BG.

830028154_d9nGn-L.jpg

830028233_V4EmV-L.jpg