Toe to Toe

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited April 6, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Morning all,
A shot of my daughter and I.
I set the camera on the floor focused on her, hit the timer and then ran over to her. She was supposed to stand on tippie toes but she stood on me instead:D .

I have a feeling we'll be going toe to toe for a long long time.

826648546_LvXAP-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Interesting concept, but there are some strange things going on in that photo as seen on my monitor.

There's an oval area around the tat that looks like scar tissue. I can't imagine having a tat over scar tissue. There's a banding around your daughter's ankle and what looks like a large swelling there.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Interesting concept, but there are some strange things going on in that photo as seen on my monitor.

There's an oval area around the tat that looks like scar tissue. I can't imagine having a tat over scar tissue. There's a banding around your daughter's ankle and what looks like a large swelling there.

Thanks Tony for the comment.
    Ok the oval I think is me trying to use the "burning" tool on picnik. I was trying to darken the tat a bit as it looked really faded. I think I made the cirlcle (which encompasses the area to be burned) to big.

The bump on my daughter's foot :) well she inherited that from me--poor thing! The band was from a freshly removed sock.

So not your moniitor :D . hmmm this one might call for a redo--although I doubt I can get her to step on me like that again--this was almost an outtake, but I really liked the results---whcih I promptly messed up with my PP work.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Liz,

I originally loved this shot.....you know, touching moment between mother and daughter and all that. But by the time Dr. Cooper got through with his diagnosis, for fear something strange could somehow leap from the picture onto me, I had to quit looking at it.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • concord977concord977 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    This is the sort of thing that really appeals to me, and seems difficult to achieve. My photos of people seem posed even when I'm going for the candid look. Hopefully I'll pick up some ideas from this forum and seeing good examples like this one.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    That is a really nice shot ....Lizzclap.gif

I would level it...
    edited April 5, 2010
    Liz,

I originally loved this shot.....you know, touching moment between mother and daughter and all that. But by the time Dr. Cooper got through with his diagnosis, for fear something strange could somehow leap from the picture onto me, I had to quit looking at it.

Tom

i assure you Tom, we've had our cootie shotsrolleyes1.gif .
    Well l was going for the tender mother/daughter shot--that was my goal.
    I will rework the shot though and try and take away the distractions.
    Even though it was a planned shot, it would be difficult to reshoot with a daughter who is easily navigating from the terrible twos into the tasmanian devil threes.

Glad you enjoyed it for a bit.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 5, 2010
    concord977 wrote:
    This is the sort of thing that really appeals to me, and seems difficult to achieve. My photos of people seem posed even when I'm going for the candid look. Hopefully I'll pick up some ideas from this forum and seeing good examples like this one.

Hi concord977,
    I don't usually do the posed thing as I'm more a candid person, so I was glad this one turned out ok.
    I got this idea from the current mini challenge. It was something I have been wanting to capture with my daughter for some time and it gave me the perfect excuse, though I missed the deadline.

Thanks for looking and commenting--glad you liked it.

You may want to lurk and post in "street" also as they are into the "candid thing"--though I'd lurk there for a bit before posting--that's where I learned how to take the candid shots I love as opposed to the posed shots.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 5, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    That is a really nice shot ....Lizzclap.gif

I would level it...

Thank you Azzaro--good eye--I totally missed that!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 5, 2010
    The nits don't bother me nearly as much as the glare from the window. I think if you cropped it leaving just a hint of the window frame it would be greatly improved. Less is more in this one.
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    I leave for a while and come back to this Liz! I love it, love the concept, love the shot - agree that it could use some leveling and a bit of PP - but I think that it is worth it to PP again and see what you come up with.

If you were thinking of punching the tat up a bit (reds) I think that I would paint your and your daughters nails red, lose the shoes and try it again with that as I think that the shoes draw away from the tat which is not the center piece.

Love it, wish I had thought of it ;)
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    When I first saw this Liz I really liked it. Still do. thumb.gif
    Richard covers nicely what I too was thinking.

Maybe a wee bit more color sat?
    Also been wondering how this would look in BW?
    :D Michael
    Michael
    edited April 5, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    The nits don't bother me nearly as much as the glare from the window. I think if you cropped it leaving just a hint of the window frame it would be greatly improved. Less is more in this one.

Thank you Richard--I know I blew the exposure on this! As a result the window is overly bright. I like the light the window casts, but the window itself needs fixing.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 5, 2010
    brvheart wrote:
    I leave for a while and come back to this Liz! I love it, love the concept, love the shot - agree that it could use some leveling and a bit of PP - but I think that it is worth it to PP again and see what you come up with.

If you were thinking of punching the tat up a bit (reds) I think that I would paint your and your daughters nails red, lose the shoes and try it again with that as I think that the shoes draw away from the tat which is not the center piece.

Love it, wish I had thought of it ;)

Hey brvheart,
    I think I have a lot to rework on this image, but like you said I think it's worth working on it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the red polish! I know she will love that idea.

Nice to see you around again!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 5, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    When I first saw this Liz I really liked it. Still do. thumb.gif
    Richard covers nicely what I too was thinking.

Maybe a wee bit more color sat?
    Also been wondering how this would look in BW?
    :D Michael

DaddyO!
    You know I never even thought about b&w for a secondheadscratch.gif . I think it could work.
    Lots of ways to go with this one and I plan on spending some time on it.

Glad you like it still.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    What a beautiful image -- one you will cherish in your "older years".

I'd crop off at the bottom of the window and rework it to which ever way that pleases you. That way you benefit from the lighting and have your feet as the total focus in this photo. My opinon tho :D

Great work Liz thumb.gif