The Canadian Rockies - Wapta Traverse

TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited April 8, 2010 in Landscapes
Here are a few pics and a link to a story (and many more pics) on the Wapta Traverse. http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/canada/waptatraverse2010/waptatraverse2010.htm

It's been a great season and I haven't been here much. Hopefully I'll get a chance to browse all the great pics more soon...but when the snow flies, so do I!

_DSC4077.jpg

_DSC4064.jpg

_DSC4081.jpg

_DSC4245.jpg

_DSC4276.jpg

_DSC4326.jpg

_DSC4466.jpg

...again more pics and the story for those who want to see more. http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/canada/waptatraverse2010/waptatraverse2010.htm
More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
Jason Hummel photography on:
FACEBOOK

Comments

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Wow, awesome series of shots as usual! Those first b/w shots are epic!!!
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Thanks for looking bryan!
    FACEBOOK
  • YetishotYetishot Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Amazing photos! I love the first picture and the Hut picture just blows me away!clap.gif
  • mountainpzmountainpz Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Nice work! That first one is particularly great.
    - Paul

Paul Zizka Photography: zizka.smugmug.com
    The Blog - Twitter - Facebook
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
  • swapchswapch Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Wonderful Images clap.gif
    Canon Rebel xTi | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Manfrotto/BOGEN 190 XDB w/486RC2 Ballhead | Hitech ND & Grad ND | Hoya CPL & UV Filters
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Stunning series ! very nice work
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Excellent thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    yike, my stomach turns just looking at some of those shots. Beautiful job under extreme conditions.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Great Job. Proportion and scale are perfect!
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 7, 2010
    Awesome as usual! bowdown.gif

All are stunning, but I just love #1 and #5.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    These shots are amazing, every thread you post delivers. Awesome work, I really envy you. I linked your stuff over at www.newschoolofphotography.com if you start seeing some stuff in you analytics start showing up from there.

http://newschoolofphotography.com/general-discussion/6158-other-photographers-work-sites-inspire-you-7.html
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Amazing shots
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Great series clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Russ
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I can't add much to the comments....they truly are magnificent shots. I am curious about one thing. The environment you were in is, understandably, quite windy a lot of the time. However, you all will trek around with a lot of gear...particularly skis sticking up...that act, almost literally, as sails in the wind. How do you guard against being precariously balanced on a ridge or peak and then have a strong gust of wind come at you. That's got to be a real hazard.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I can't add much to the comments....they truly are magnificent shots. I am curious about one thing. The environment you were in is, understandably, quite windy a lot of the time. However, you all will trek around with a lot of gear...particularly skis sticking up...that act, almost literally, as sails in the wind. How do you guard against being precariously balanced on a ridge or peak and then have a strong gust of wind come at you. That's got to be a real hazard.

Tom

The wind is difficult, but mostly it is the cold on the fingers that's the worst, especially when the windchill and air temps fall well below 0. Nevertheless, when it comes to the wind, you just lean into it and make sure you have a good stance every step of the way. It's always a challenge and there really isn't any tricks to limit it.

Glad you guys like the pics. Down in Death Valley now. Hope to get some multi-day hikes in and see some great country that is far different than the snowy country (although oddly the same?).
    FACEBOOK
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010