Options

Savannah, GA

LakeLadyLakeLady Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited April 23, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
I know that Savannah has LOTS of photography opportunities. What I am looking for is anything within an hours drive of there. I am familiar with Tybee Island, Wormsloe Plantation. Anything else you would recommend??

Comments

• Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I will be travelling there this weekend and am definitely interested as well.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I will be travelling there this weekend and am definitely interested as well.

Pat, if you haven't been there before - the various city parks which the city is build around are great places to photograph. Also the during day and especially at night. There are some street performers that are usually open to being photographed. I have taken a photographers workshop there and we usually "tipped" them for letting us take their picture. If you are in to architecture there are some beautiful old homes, Churches, and other buildings. Every time we go and say "well, we have seen it all", we go back and find something new. This time we are meeting friends and are interested in getting out of the city. Oh yeah, Tybee Island for sunrise and the old fort, Fort Pulaski. I may have "over answered" for you as I don't know if you have been there before.

Becky
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    Becky,

Thanks for the reply, I much appreciate the information. You did not over answer at all as I don't know a lot about the place, this is our first time. I definitely plan on taking some architecture pictures. We are planning to go to a well known historic church my wife read about - unfortunately I have forgotten the name. That and just walking around looking at the other historic buildings. I thought about renting a tilt shift lens for this, but didn't think I'd be able to become proficient with it in time.

Tybee Island does sound like it's got a lot of promise from what I am reading. If there's anything you feel like sharing, please don't hesitate :) I appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
    Patrick
  • Options
    snapsbypoteatsnapsbypoteat Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Hilton head island is about an hour north of savannah in south carolina. Not exactly sure what kind of photographic opportunities you are looking for but it has a lot of wildlife & bird refuges and also a nice lighthouse. I've never been there but my husband and I are vacationing there at the end of this month!

What sort of 'photographic opportunities' do you know about in savannah? I'd be willing to spend a day there myself.
    ALL OUT CANON!

www.snapsbypoteat.com

Canon Ti1
    Canon 30D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Sigma 30/1.4
    Canon 55-250
    Canon 85 1.8
    580ex
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    I don't know much about Hilton Head. However, Jekyll Island which is about an hour south of Savannah is another of our favorite places.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    Hilton head island is about an hour north of savannah in south carolina. Not exactly sure what kind of photographic opportunities you are looking for but it has a lot of wildlife & bird refuges and also a nice lighthouse. I've never been there but my husband and I are vacationing there at the end of this month!

What sort of 'photographic opportunities' do you know about in savannah? I'd be willing to spend a day there myself.

Savannah is a city of beautiful architecture, fantastic squares - the city is built around the squares. We have been there several times and still keep going back.
    Becky
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    You're gonna love it...
    I just got back from shooting a wedding in Savannah this past weekend...You're going at prime time for the azaleas! I spent 3 days there and I all I have to show for it are some awesome wedding photos - I wish I had the chance to actually walk around the town and get other stuff! I would spend all my time shooting in the city actually...River St has some gorgeous potential for sunset shots of the bridge, right next to the River House Seafood Restaurant (awesome lobster bisque there by the way)....Especially if you catch a barge coming down.

Would be interested in seeing what ya come back with!
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Back from the trip. The squares, parks and architecture of historic savannah were great to see and photograph. Also liked the wormsloe plantation and all the flowers this time of year. Here are the pictures I was able to get:

http://patspix.smugmug.com/Vacation/Savannah/11901458_h74BK#842355707_JjD2t

The one of the bridge I did without a tripod by holding the camera against a dock pole while taking the picture. I was surprised that it came out as well as it did.

As a side note, The Olde Pink House is a great place to eat. Built in 1773.
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Great shots :-)

Those canopy roads at the plantation are amazing...We have some canopy roads here in Tallahassee, but not quite that magnitude. Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing...That feeds my need for some Savannah photos.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback and the kind words. That canopy road was truly amazing. I can see why they used it for the movie. My wife read that there are 400 live oaks planted when a son was born back around 1900 or so I think.