In New Mexico, I-25(SB) at Exit 264 (4 pics) C&C welcome

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited April 13, 2010 in Landscapes
The wife and I are on a "sort of" vacation to the "Land of Enchantment" (New Mexico, USA), driving from Taos back to Rio Rancho. As we are passing Exit 264 south-bound on I-25, I happend to notice some interesting rock out-croppings. So, the next day (4 Apr) Leslie and I go back there to determine if there is anything worth a morning run. Yup!

So, I plan. I compute the time it's going to take to get there. I go on-line to get an estimate for sunrise. I do all the math. Then I screw it up somewhere 'cause the sun was about 20 minutes from peaking when I left the hotel room and I had about 35 mintues of driving time to get to the location.

I got lucky - it turns out the rocks are shadowed by a small series of hills on the other side of the hiway, effectively delaying the arrival of sunrise by some 30 minutes.

Anyway, here are a couple or 4 that I think might have merit.

829011949_sYEMz-XL.jpg

829018223_mCbV9-XL.jpg

3a. This is my crop of the image. The next one is a crop Leslie favors. BTW - this is the first (mostly) successful shot I've managed with my TS-E 24mm f/3.5L. I'm just a little stoked!
829024940_3RXVk-XL.jpg

3b. If this one wins the voting, I'll go back and remove the high-tension power lines in the lower right corner.
829020870_Auhf6-XL.jpg

Comments

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    I like all of them, but the last one is pretty cool!
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    My apologies to "she who must," but I prefer your crop with the greenery in the foreground (3a).

When you get to Rio Rancho, tell my dad hi for me. rolleyes1.gif

I hope you get some good sunsets and the Sandias turn red for you. There are definitely some great photo ops there. An hour or so west (IIRC) would get you to Cabezon, where there are some really neat volcanic plugs. Have a great trip!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    number 2 is very blue in the shadows. I wonder if you could warm up just the shadow part, or would that just look photoshoped?