Rio Grande Gorge Bridge ......... IR

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited April 18, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Just west of Toas, NM, on highway 64 one can find the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. I saw some pictures of it and decided I would like to make a few of my own. Unfortunately, the clouds really didn't cooperate - they filled in over the mountains and made the scene pretty ho-hum. Anyway, here's on I kinda like. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking....

828991008_AhhQh-XL.jpg

Comments

• concord977concord977 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Beautiful. Love the perspective.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Howdy Scott,

Great Capture, love all the terrific Details that you've recorded.

Very nicely done.

Take care,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    I think its an excellent result. Very well done.
    Michael
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    I think you did well with this. The sky looks nice in BW. Looks like a long bridge would would cetainly turn my tummy going over it.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Hi Scott,

I don't miss the clouds at all. Nice composition.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    They say that as you work with a tool that you will, over time, learn it a bit better. Maybe. But, I think this is a better rendition of the shot than the one above. What do y'all think?

829743790_49D2d-L.jpg
    edited April 6, 2010
    They say that as you work with a tool that you will, over time, learn it a bit better. Maybe. But, I think this is a better rendition of the shot than the one above. What do y'all think?

829743790_49D2d-L.jpg

I don't know what you did -- but this one has more punch thumb.gif
    edited April 7, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    I don't know what you did -- but this one has more punch thumb.gif
    Pretty simple stuff. I created a "darkening" curve adjustment layer (curve, pull a center point down and to the right to darken the mid-tones a bit, then added a small amount of contrast curve to it). Painted on the layer mask to darken all of the image above the level of the guardrails and to darken the ground cover in the foreground. Now, adjust the opacity of the layer to taste. Once I figured out what was needed (or at least what I thought was needed :D), it took me all of about 3 minutes to apply the corrections as I had saved the working PSD and all the layers so I could go back to it later.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 7, 2010
    I think this is a better rendition of the shot than the one above. What do y'all think?

nod.gif
    edited April 7, 2010
    Pretty simple stuff. I created a "darkening" curve adjustment layer (curve, pull a center point down and to the right to darken the mid-tones a bit, then added a small amount of contrast curve to it). Painted on the layer mask to darken all of the image above the level of the guardrails and to darken the ground cover in the foreground. Now, adjust the opacity of the layer to taste. Once I figured out what was needed (or at least what I thought was needed :D), it took me all of about 3 minutes to apply the corrections as I had saved the working PSD and all the layers so I could go back to it later.

Amazing how something so simple worked out so nicely. Makes it look like a totally different photo thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 7, 2010
    Nicely done, Scott.

I love that bridge just west of Taos, and have a couple photos going back at least 7 years.

I like the choice of B&W - cool.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 7, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nicely done, Scott.

I love that bridge just west of Taos, and have a couple photos going back at least 7 years.

I like the choice of B&W - cool.
    Thanks.

With the IR conversion I have (830nm) I don't have a lot of choice about it. Everything is B&W. No false color work for me.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 7, 2010
    I am in the decision process right now, Scott, about an IR conversion.

I have a 40D or 5D that I will get converted in the next week, and I am still undecided whether to go with the 715nm or the 830 nm filter.

I think I have decided on the 715nm, as it does not cost as much "light" and offers shorter exposures. If I want ONLY true IR, I can add a B&W R72 filter in front of the lens. Any comments about this plan?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 7, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am in the decision process right now, Scott, about an IR conversion.

I have a 40D or 5D that I will get converted in the next week, and I am still undecided whether to go with the 715nm or the 830 nm filter.

I think I have decided on the 715nm, as it does not cost as much "light" and offers shorter exposures. If I want ONLY true IR, I can add a B&W R72 filter in front of the lens. Any comments about this plan?
    You have PM
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    very nice. love teh b/w conversion
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Nice composition and perspective. thumb.gif
    I like that bridge, visited the place few times when we used to live in NM.